Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi everyone.

I searched this thread but didn't find any mention of service dogs in the kids clubs. Does anyone have experience with this? We are starting the process if getting a service dog for my son. While we wont have the dog for our upcoming cruise, I intend to continue cruising in the future and my child will have his dog. Just looking for some input for the future!

Dena

Karen I wish all the luck with your better halfs double lung surgery.

KO this is for Roz and any one in the know, I am so confused right now and the ADA is no help. My organization here in S Mississippi is and has taken this place like wild fire. Bear in mind the news misquoted me on a few things although this is last weeks news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3u2eVY2l_U

OK now for the quick question, I know what I had to do with the VA to get approved with Blitz. I am being told that any disabled person even with out permission from a doctor can get a service animal. Bear in mind I do know a few basic rules although most of that is access and does not cover the patient side of the house. I have paperwork from doctor, I had to produce my own paperwork etc......

Also I do not agree with ADI and whats going on with the VA. I agree there need to be changes although what they are doing will not only hurt Veterans (no PTSD Dogs allowed in documentation and only a total of 100 dogs or service animals in the entire VA System). I spoke with ADI and I am not impressed and surely disagree with a $1,000.00 fee and the only tangible thing out of this is we get to bring 5 people to their yearly conference. Yea............... being sarcastic.

Hi everyone.

I searched this thread but didn't find any mention of service dogs in the kids clubs. Does anyone have experience with this? We are starting the process if getting a service dog for my son. While we wont have the dog for our upcoming cruise, I intend to continue cruising in the future and my child will have his dog. Just looking for some input for the future!

Dena

Dena, I have taken Brenda [not Horton, yet] to visit the "Kids Club" onboard Carnival & Princess. One of the crew members asked me to bring her in and give a demonstration of what she does for me. And then they got "petting time" with her. It was a lot of fun.

The crew in charge will have to introduce your son and his dog and make it very clear that your son's dog is working and can't be disturbed unless it's "off" work and they're given permission but other than that it won't be much different than it will be in any other area of the ship.

The crew will be very helpful in making sure your son is comfortable. Unless, for some reason he can't be left on his own with his dog, you may have to be present with him. You can sit on the sidelines and observe.

Dena, I have taken Brenda [not Horton, yet] to visit the "Kids Club" onboard Carnival & Princess. One of the crew members asked me to bring her in and give a demonstration of what she does for me. And then they got "petting time" with her. It was a lot of fun.

The crew in charge will have to introduce your son and his dog and make it very clear that your son's dog is working and can't be disturbed unless it's "off" work and they're given permission but other than that it won't be much different than it will be in any other area of the ship.

The crew will be very helpful in making sure your son is comfortable. Unless, for some reason he can't be left on his own with his dog, you may have to be present with him. You can sit on the sidelines and observe.

Thanks so much. I am a planner so spend lots of time here when we have a cruise scheduled. As I am also busy planning for the addition of a service dog to our lives this thread was a happy discovery. I haven't seen many children with service dogs in general let alone on a cruise so just curious about any additional issues in the kids clubs.

Hi everyone.

Dena

Dena,

Alot will also depend on the organization your sons service dog comes from. I can only speak about Canine Companions For Independence. That is where my daughters dog is from. All kids under 18 get a "skilled companion dog", not a "service dog". It means that the child is not in control of the leash. He/she must have an adult that has gone through the training with them whenever they have the dog. In this case your son would not be able to be left alone with the dog. Also, the ability to control the dog is taken into consideration. You might want to contact the service dog organization and find out their rules.

Let us know how you make out.

Dena,

Alot will also depend on the organization your sons service dog comes from. I can only speak about Canine Companions For Independence. That is where my daughters dog is from. All kids under 18 get a "skilled companion dog", not a "service dog". It means that the child is not in control of the leash. He/she must have an adult that has gone through the training with them whenever they have the dog. In this case your son would not be able to be left alone with the dog. Also, the ability to control the dog is taken into consideration. You might want to contact the service dog organization and find out their rules.

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks. The dog will be going to school with him (it is actually a requirement before we get the dog that we provide information from the school saying they understand that the dog will accompany him - the organization that provides the dogs wants them with the child at all times if possible). I assumed that since he can be at school with the dog, he can be in the kids club with a dog. I won't be at school with him all day and it isn't a part of his IFSP that his teachers will require special dog training. I am lucky as one of my oldest child's classmates has a sibling with the same diability and is getting a dog from the same organization. It gives me a chance to pick that mom's brains about what was included in the IFSP, special consdirations, and in general how it all works out! Always good to have someone leading the way in new situations!!

That is something to consider though!! For our upcoming cruise, I am actually bringing a nanny/aide just to be with my son in the kids club if he needs extra help so if I have to continue doing something like this with the dog as well, I'll sort it out. I have a couple of years to figure it all out, I am just trying to figure out how much of my current "normal" life I can still continue. I am hoping that the service dog will increase our ability to continue "normal" not make it more difficult, if that makes sense??!! My son's disability has already impacted so much of family life for my other kids that we are really hoping the dog will help get us a new sense of independence as a family - not one so defined and limited by my son's disability.

Anyway, glad I found this thread as it is a pleasent place to learn about service dogs in general combined with a great vacation:). Sometimes the boards dedicated to specific disabilities can be a bit dreary. I am not one to dwell on the negatives associated with a special needs child and would much rather just figure out how to make it work the best for us and get on with the joys in life!!

Dena

Karen I wish all the luck with your better halfs double lung surgery.

KO this is for Roz and any one in the know, I am so confused right now and the ADA is no help. My organization here in S Mississippi is and has taken this place like wild fire. Bear in mind the news misquoted me on a few things although this is last weeks news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3u2eVY2l_U

OK now for the quick question, I know what I had to do with the VA to get approved with Blitz. I am being told that any disabled person even with out permission from a doctor can get a service animal. Bear in mind I do know a few basic rules although most of that is access and does not cover the patient side of the house. I have paperwork from doctor, I had to produce my own paperwork etc......

Also I do not agree with ADI and whats going on with the VA. I agree there need to be changes although what they are doing will not only hurt Veterans (no PTSD Dogs allowed in documentation and only a total of 100 dogs or service animals in the entire VA System). I spoke with ADI and I am not impressed and surely disagree with a $1,000.00 fee and the only tangible thing out of this is we get to bring 5 people to their yearly conference. Yea............... being sarcastic.

Jocko, not sure what your question is. Sorry, maybe I'm slow. Help me out please.

Thanks. The dog will be going to school with him (it is actually a requirement before we get the dog that we provide information from the school saying they understand that the dog will accompany him - the organization that provides the dogs wants them with the child at all times if possible). I assumed that since he can be at school with the dog, he can be in the kids club with a dog. I won't be at school with him all day and it isn't a part of his IFSP that his teachers will require special dog training. I am lucky as one of my oldest child's classmates has a sibling with the same diability and is getting a dog from the same organization. It gives me a chance to pick that mom's brains about what was included in the IFSP, special consdirations, and in general how it all works out! Always good to have someone leading the way in new situations!!

That is something to consider though!! For our upcoming cruise, I am actually bringing a nanny/aide just to be with my son in the kids club if he needs extra help so if I have to continue doing something like this with the dog as well, I'll sort it out. I have a couple of years to figure it all out, I am just trying to figure out how much of my current "normal" life I can still continue. I am hoping that the service dog will increase our ability to continue "normal" not make it more difficult, if that makes sense??!! My son's disability has already impacted so much of family life for my other kids that we are really hoping the dog will help get us a new sense of independence as a family - not one so defined and limited by my son's disability.

Anyway, glad I found this thread as it is a pleasent place to learn about service dogs in general combined with a great vacation:). Sometimes the boards dedicated to specific disabilities can be a bit dreary. I am not one to dwell on the negatives associated with a special needs child and would much rather just figure out how to make it work the best for us and get on with the joys in life!!

Dena

Dena, I have three words for you........YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!

You know, it's really funny how something so innocent has turned into something so wonderful. Horton carrying things and picking up stuff for me is pretty "usual" for me.....no big deal. But, when other people see it, especially children, it's huge!

I take for granite all the wonderful and amazing things that my Brenda and Horton can do and I guess, well, it is pretty darn amazing! ;)

Dena,

We went on a Carnival Cruise in March with my son's dog, Manny. When we boarded, we went right to talk to the head of children's camps. She called head office, and we had approval within the hour for Manny to attend camp. He was the first ever for Carnival, apparently!

Hope your experience is similar!

Hastingsmom

What did Carnival use for the potty box and where was it located? It looks like we may be on Carnival Conquest next summer. It's a cruise to the Bahamas so at least I know what to expect with paperwork and import forms.

As you all probably know I lost my darling, lovable. little life saver Valentine. We took her to the vet right before our last cruise to the Bahamas. All was great except she had a very small heart murmur but was told it was nothing to worry about and to go. Well she was her happy seemed to be healthy self so we went ahead and went on the cruise. She was the hit of the cruise and everyone wanted to love her.

It was a short cruise only 6 days and we were home soon. About weeks later she started to breath very heavy so we took her to the vet and lo and behold she had a very enlarged heart. They gave her several meds and sent her home. By then she didn't want to eat and within hours would take no water.

David and I talked it and decided not to let her continue in pain and to

ok her right then to the vet and had her put to sleep. It seemed so fast and so final and of course it was.We heald her to the end and I don't know why but I thought she would go to sleep not as if she was shot. and she looked at me and had time t0 cry. so that is unfortunately the last memory I have of her crying for me to help her.

I have been having a very hard time with this but I have been reading this site everyday and all your prayers and well wishes are apprecited.

You will see me here from time to time and I'm sure I'll have something to say, but for now I still cry for little Valentine,

Barbara

Jocko, not sure what your question is. Sorry, maybe I'm slow. Help me out please.

Can a person (patient who is not connected with the VA or Military Medical Care) just decide on themselves that today I need a service animal without the doctors permission and just do it? I deal almost exclusive with Veterans with PTSD and their mental issues are well documented and they have to receive permission to get a service animal. I have been told by many people that they have a service animal; they do not need a doctors permission and thats how the ADA Operates for civilian types.

I just can not see or understand how receiving a service animal though the VA is such a regimented task; loads of documentation and huge checks and balances in place. And the approval process to get a service animal as a civilian is as easy as jumping in your car and driving to Walmart and deciding which color you want.

Did that explain my question better?

Another matter; please help me by supporting this.....

My name is Jocko and I have a organization in S Mississippi that provides specially trained shelter dogs to veterans with PTSD. Its a great cause and mine is one of many who provide a service to our returning veterans with PTSD. Well the good people in Washington have finally gotten involved in this area of treatment and what originally started as a good thing has become a ADA Violation if it is approved. Could you please review the below link and share with your clients and friends. Blitz, Beau, Cloe, and all our dogs say Thank you. I'm sure our Veterans would also if they would actually break away from their dogs long enough to do so..... 8)

This is exactly how the young lady went up against Bank of America and they had to change their mind about the $5.00 fee on debt cards. Its no question what I am trying to do and those already in the area are already doing is a wonderful thing for Disabled Veterans. Please do not allow those in Washington with that 12% approval rating mess with these programs and kill what will be one of the very few life lines Disabled Veterans have in PTSD Treatment. Please do not just like this post or the shares; go to the PETITION and sign it. Washington does not understand or care about likes, what Washington understands is voters and signatures. I beg please help me with this cause, there are over 600,000 Military, Combat Veterans, Wounded Warriors, Disabled Veterans who are our Brothers, Sisters,Mothers, Fathers and children who can and will benefit from a service dog. Do not let lobbyist force Congresses and the Department of Veterans Affairs hand. Tell them yes you support change; unless it will harm Veterans and be a direct violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Thank you again; Jocko

http://www.change.org/petitions/service-animals-may-be-refused-on-va-facilities

What did Carnival use for the potty box and where was it located? It looks like we may be on Carnival Conquest next summer. It's a cruise to the Bahamas so at least I know what to expect with paperwork and import forms.

The Carnival Splendor used mulch and placed the box on our Veranda and then on the Pride they placed the box on an outside deck.

Although it was nice having the convenience of the veranda it didn't leave much room for us to walk around. And, having it on an outside deck always invited strangers to "gawk" and use the box as a trash recepticle.

I prefer a stairwell [Princess will do this, they're inside, away from passengers and private, we book our cabin close to the stairwell] or some ships will put it in a crew closet [usually used for the crew's cleaning equip.]

You can ask your TA to help you scope-out what's on your floor, in the way of closets; how big is your veranda; and, where the stairwell is in relationship to your cabin.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

As you all probably know I lost my darling' date=' lovable. little life saver Valentine. We took her to the vet right before our last cruise to the Bahamas. All was great except she had a very small heart murmur but was told it was nothing to worry about and to go. Well she was her happy seemed to be healthy self so we went ahead and went on the cruise. She was the hit of the cruise and everyone wanted to love her.

It was a short cruise only 6 days and we were home soon. About weeks later she started to breath very heavy so we took her to the vet and lo and behold she had a very enlarged heart. They gave her several meds and sent her home. By then she didn't want to eat and within hours would take no water.

David and I talked it and decided not to let her continue in pain and to

ok her right then to the vet and had her put to sleep. It seemed so fast and so final and of course it was.We heald her to the end and I don't know why but I thought she would go to sleep not as if she was shot. and she looked at me and had time t0 cry. so that is unfortunately the last memory I have of her crying for me to help her.

I have been having a very hard time with this but I have been reading this site everyday and all your prayers and well wishes are apprecited.

You will see me here from time to time and I'm sure I'll have something to say, but for now I still cry for little Valentine,

Barbara[/quote']

Oh! Sweet Barbara, I'm so, so sorry that this happened to you and to our little Valentine. Sweetie, she wasn't crying in pain, she was crying for the love of you and for all that you've given her. She didn't want to leave but it was time for her to go and you knew it! Only you could know it!

You'll miss her for the rest of your life, no doubt, and every time you think of her remember the days that you spent in smiles and laughter. She'd want that for sure.

I totally understand your feelings and you have every right to feel them.

I hope the coming days, weeks and months become easier for you.

Take care of you and know that I think about you often and we're always here for you.

Much Love,

Roz

Can a person (patient who is not connected with the VA or Military Medical Care) just decide on themselves that today I need a service animal without the doctors permission and just do it? I deal almost exclusive with Veterans with PTSD and their mental issues are well documented and they have to receive permission to get a service animal. I have been told by many people that they have a service animal; they do not need a doctors permission and thats how the ADA Operates for civilian types.

I just can not see or understand how receiving a service animal though the VA is such a regimented task; loads of documentation and huge checks and balances in place. And the approval process to get a service animal as a civilian is as easy as jumping in your car and driving to Walmart and deciding which color you want.

Did that explain my question better?

Jocko, we "civilians" do not have it as easy as you may think. There's a process for getting a qualified, educated and trained Service Dog. There are doctor's visits, phone and in person interviews that can take driving or flying thousands of miles to get to. There's stacks of paperwork and a waiting list. If you're lucky enough to be picked from hundreds of applicants then there's 2 weeks of intense, physical and emotional training that the very best army, navy or marine would call "intense" at best and overly tiring and exerting at worst.

I can hear your frustration at the folks who buy their vests online or who bring in "Fi-Fi" and pass it off as a Service Dog but please do not insult or demean those of us who walk or wheel with a ligitmate Service Dog and have been through the rigors of the "process" to get there!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Jocko, we "civilians" do not have it as easy as you may think. There's a process for getting a qualified, educated and trained Service Dog. There are doctor's visits, phone and in person interviews that can take driving or flying thousands of miles to get to. There's stacks of paperwork and a waiting list. If you're lucky enough to be picked from hundreds of applicants then there's 2 weeks of intense, physical and emotional training that the very best army, navy or marine would call "intense" at best and overly tiring and exerting at worst.

I can hear your frustration at the folks who buy their vests online or who bring in "Fi-Fi" and pass it off as a Service Dog but please do not insult or demean those of us who walk or wheel with a ligitmate Service Dog and have been through the rigors of the "process" to get there!!!!!

And if I may add...there is at least a two year waiting list for a CCI service dog at this time.