Anchorage B&B and advice on what to do

ladybugva

We are doing a self drive land tour before our cruise summer 2016 and I am gathering information on where to stay/eat/do.

We will be driving in on a Friday night to Anchorage and are looking for a nice, inexpensive place to stay one night. We aren't thinking budget hostel and not the Ritz type lodging. Perhaps a B & B. Since we will have a car location isn't too critical, but we will want to get up Saturday morning and go to the market and walk around that area before heading out to drive to Seward.

My parents have mobility issues so we would like to find a place with no stairs to get to rooms. Doesn't have to be ADA compliant and there can be a tub (shower would be ideal). Outside steps are fine, especially if there is a railing, just not too many of them.

Thanks in advance!

Anything you consider a "don't miss" or a place that you love to eat?

I've had wonderful experiences using airbnb to find reasonable B&B-like accommodations - not specifically in Anchorage, but other places. You can put in the exact dates, read other travelers' reviews, and email the owners with questions or concerns (like your parents' mobility issues). Good luck!

When in Anchorage be sure to get to the F St. Station and try their Halibut sandwich. Humpys is another good rest. there but I prefer F St. On your way down to Seward stop in Girdwood and have lunch at The Bake Shop or dinner at Double Muskie. Have fun!!

When in Anchorage be sure to get to the F St. Station and try their Halibut sandwich. Humpys is another good rest. there but I prefer F St. On your way down to Seward stop in Girdwood and have lunch at The Bake Shop or dinner at Double Muskie. Have fun!!

Have put these on my list! Thanks!!!!

Just found out our day to travel south will put us at the Girdwood Forest Festival Day. Wonder how that will impact our lunch stop!

Thanks Don :)

We have stayed here twice -

http://www.alaskafrontiergardens.com/

so obviously we like it. You do need a car to get to it however.

We also stayed here once -

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60880-d253196-Reviews-Oscar_Gill_House_Bed_and_Breakfast-Anchorage_Alaska.html

It is a funky historic house with character that is in town. Totally different from the first place but you do not need a car.

DON

Have put these on my list! Thanks!!!!

Just found out our day to travel south will put us at the Girdwood Forest Festival Day. Wonder how that will impact our lunch stop!

It's very busy in Girdwood that day. Why not just go eat lunch at the Forest Fair and enjoy some of the local flavor? Also you need to be very attentive to your driving as the traffic on the road will be heavy.

After the suggestions on here and others on another travel board, I think you guys may be on to something. I am now considering adding an extra day and staying Thursday night Wasilla or Palmer one night and then Friday night in Girdwood (found a nice condo walking distance to the fair shuttle). That would give us time on Friday to get down to Girdwood early/mid afternoon, settle in, and go to the fair for dinner. Then we can get up the next morning to drive leisurely to Seward. The only trouble with that is we would have to back track to the Anchorage markets (can't decide if that is worth it or not). We have plenty of time that day so that isn't an issue and it doesn't seem to be too far (although I have noted about the traffic). Will definitely go check out the Palmer cottages, thanks!

Thanks, I will look at that. Just had someone else recommend that one so definitely something I will check at. Always good when you get multiple recommendations!

Yes, we have found the hotels to be so expensive and not what I would call luxury! I thought that would be the cheaper option when I first started looking. Very surprised to see the inns and B&B are actually less and nicer!

Thanks, I will look at that. Just had someone else recommend that one so definitely something I will check at. Always good when you get multiple recommendations!

Yes, we have found the hotels to be so expensive and not what I would call luxury! I thought that would be the cheaper option when I first started looking. Very surprised to see the inns and B&B are actually less and nicer!

We leave on the train super early in the morning.

The B & B provides a sack breakfast!

And the train station is very close.

Could be walkable, but probably not with all the luggage.

In general, B&B in AK are cheaper than hotels.

DON