Bangkok on your own

psygist

I will have about 6 hours to explore Bangkok if I take our cruise line's Bangkok On Your Own tour. This excursion provides transportation to and from the port, about a two hour ride to the city, dropping us off at Central Word Square. For those that have been to Bangkok, can you provide advice on the following:

1. Where is Central Word Square, and is it convenient to seeing the major sites?

2. What are the potential challenges to touring Bangkok independently?

3. Are the major sites within walking distance of each other?

4. What can reasonably be done within a 6 hour visit? What are the must-see sites? I certainly want to visit the Royal Palace and if time permits, Wat Arun and possibly Chinatown.

Thanks for any advice offered!

Edited by psygist

• 2 weeks later...
I will have about 6 hours to explore Bangkok if I

1. Where is Central Word Square, and is it convenient to seeing the major sites?

2. What are the potential challenges to touring Bangkok independently?

3. Are the major sites within walking distance of each other?

4. What can reasonably be done within a 6 hour visit? What are the must-see sites? I certainly want to visit the Royal Palace and if time permits, Wat Arun and possibly Chinatown.

Thanks for any advice offered!

Surprised you haven't got any responses.

1. Central World is a large shopping mall close to BTS Chitlom Station and thus a convenient location.

2. Though metered taxis are cheap, most drivers don't speak English and Bangkok traffic is notoriously bad so travelling by BTS Skytrain or the metro is the preferred option. Also be careful of scammers, especially by the Grand Palace that will tell you the palace is closed in order to take you to a jewelry shop. The heat and humidity will also get to you if walking around a lot.

3. The two major sites - Wat Po and the Grand Palace don't have the best public transit access.

4. Here is what I would recommend. It is always best to start furthest away and work your way back so you are not too far away in case you are running behind schedule.

From Central World, change money and take the BTS to Saphan Taksin where you can take a boat to the Grand Palace. From there, you can walk to Wat Po and take the ferry across to Wat Arun and back. Your Grand Palace ticket includes entry to Dusit Palace (recommended) and the Teak Mansion (haven't been) but you will need to take a taxi there. Chinatown isn't easy to get to so you could taxi there as well. Last stop should be the Siam Square area (lots of malls) and Jim Thompson's House which is relatively close to Central World. There is a good guide at cruiseportwiki if you need more details.

I realize that you are wanting to visit Bangkok on your own; but with only 6 hours to see this amazing city, I would discourage it. Unless you plan on returning to Bangkok for a longer visit, you should get a guide that can maximize the short time you are there.

I certainly agree with movc's recommendation of visiting the Grand Palace and Wat Po. Two breathtaking places that you will want to spend many hours at.

Thanks for your well reasoned suggestions!

Mike, do you have a recommendation for a private guide? Is there any concern in making it back to port in time when using a private guide, with the city being so far? We do have a long day, 8am to 9pm.

btw, my regards to you and Carol. We met on the Jewel 10 yrs ago.

Paul

Thanks for your well reasoned suggestions!

Mike, do you have a recommendation for a private guide? Is there any concern in making it back to port in time when using a private guide, with the city being so far? We do have a long day, 8am to 9pm.

btw, my regards to you and Carol. We met on the Jewel 10 yrs ago.

Paul

Hi Paul,

So nice to hear from you. I didn't realize that you were the OP. It has been quite a long time. I hope that you Rebecca and the kids are doing well. Your kids must be adults by now.

When we were in Bangkok, we used http://tourwithtong.com. She was probably one of the best guides we have ever had. But I have read over the years that so many people want to book with her that it is difficult to book with. She also has so many inquiries that it can be difficult to get a response.

When we were there on the Azamara Quest, we were able to dock right in town; but larger ships can't get that close. I wouldn't worry about using a guide that is highly recommended on CC, since they deal with getting folks back to the ship every day. With us being in port for 2 days, we were able to see quite a bit of the city. You won't have time to see everything that we have in our review; but it might help you to narrow down what you really want to see. I am sure that any private tour will focus on the highlights like the Grand Palace and for a one day tour.

Get ready for an incredible day in an amazing city.

If it within your budget, I HIGHLY recommend a guide for Bangkok. I have been many times, and feel very comfortable there, but for a first timer, a guide will help avoid obstacles (traffic, language, "scams", etc) and will ensure that you make the most of your brief visit.

If you choose to go on your own, my advice would be: don't believe anyone who tells you that something (a tourist attraction, mall, etc) is closed for any reason.

Also, the street food is safe and delicious.