Laem Chabang - Tours

We-R-Off

We recently were on Celebrity Milennium overnighting in Laem Chabang.

Some of the people on our Roll Call stayed overnight in Bangkok.

We took a day trip to Ayythuya & the day after we hired a van to Nong Nooch.

I would like to recommend Mike from Bangkok Asia Travel http://www.bangkokasiatravel.com

The vehicle he provided was very comfortable. His English was good & the restaurant he chose for lunch was in a nice hotel in Ayyttuya. The tour was comprehensive, & very interesting. We were provided with bottles of water during the tour as well as cold towels, which were very appreciated.

I believe the overnight tour of Bangkok was also very interesting for the participants, who spent the first day exploring Bangkok & the second day in Ayythuya.

Inspite of the distance from Bangkok, trips are possible & much cheaper than booking via the cruise line.

For those porting in Laem Chabang who want to visit Ayutthaya and overnite in Bangkok, consider what we did:

We booked to meet up with a bus/boat tour at the Summer Palace at Bang Pa-In, near Ayutthaya (the tour bus actually started in Bangkok), then took a taxi from the pier at Laem Chabang to the Summer Palace. Met the bus tour there, seats had been reserved for us. Toured the Summer Palace & three sites in Ayutthaya, then to the river where we boarded a boat which took us down-river to Bangkok - a magical way to enter the city, complete with an excellent buffet lunch.

Although we didn't board the bus until the Summer Palace, we weren't asked to pay up-front & paid the guide at the end.

A very different, economical & time-effective arrangement.

http://www.thairivercruise.com/index.php?tpid=0066

We did make one mistake.

Rather than pre-book a car from Laem Chabang, we reckoned we'd do better by bartering at the pier.

Not so - the cars there are run by a cartel, so no competition and it was hard work to get a sensible price. Same for those wanting a car to Bangkok, etc.

No experience of the operator recommended by ilanas, but for any transfer other than a little local jaunt into Pattaya I'd certainly suggest that you pre-book someone, rather than rely on the sharks at Laem Chabang.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

We recently were on Celebrity Milennium overnighting in Laem Chabang.

Some of the people on our Roll Call stayed overnight in Bangkok.

We took a day trip to Ayythuya & the day after we hired a van to Nong Nooch.

I would like to recommend Mike from Bangkok Asia Travel http://www.bangkokasiatravel.com

The vehicle he provided was very comfortable. His English was good & the restaurant he chose for lunch was in a nice hotel in Ayyttuya. The tour was comprehensive, & very interesting. We were provided with bottles of water during the tour as well as cold towels, which were very appreciated.

I believe the overnight tour of Bangkok was also very interesting for the participants, who spent the first day exploring Bangkok & the second day in Ayythuya.

Inspite of the distance from Bangkok, trips are possible & much cheaper than booking via the cruise line.

Thanks for posting this information :). We've booked Millennium for next year and I'm interested in sourcing private tours, where possible ;). There will be seven in our party and I did notice that many of Mike's tours all quote for 6 persons. For future reference, is this the maximum for his vehicles or will he except more passengers? His prices appear very reasonable. Did you hire the van for your second day independently?

I noticed that you were not very impressed with Millie? Was it just the ship or the service, crew etc. that you were disappointed with?