St. Tropez and Port Grimaud vs Le Castellet & Sanary Sur Mer?

bcgreen1

Although not on a cruise, we have visited Le Castellet, Sanary sur Mer and Saint Tropez in recent years. Will you be docking in Toulon? If so, less time I think spent on transit for first two options...more time needed to get to Saint Tropez maybe because of traffic. Saint Tropez was for us mostly about ogling yachts of the rich and famous but we all felt we got the same vibe from towns closer like Cassis. Sanary sur Mer...don't remember much but I put it as having the same vibe as Bandol, Cassis,. Le Castellet is lovely but check when their market takes place...we stayed very close and frequented a couple of times....pretty dead when no market.

It appears from Regent cruise excursion paper work that we will be in port Grimaud. The trip spent in St. Tropez will be 7.5 hrs. Reading the paper work says we will be free to enjoy Grimaud at our leisure and perhaps take a mini cruise along the canals.

It appears from Regent cruise excursion paper work that we will be in port Grimaud. The trip spent in St. Tropez will be 7.5 hrs. Reading the paper work says we will be free to enjoy Grimaud at our leisure and perhaps take a mini cruise along the canals.

Port Grimaud is on the water. It is a very upmarket town built along canals. There are little boats that take you around. The old village of Grimaud is up the hill from Port Grimaud and it is gorgeous. Do not confuse both places.

St Trop is St Trop. It is a fun place to visit. Do not stay in the port area. Walk around the back streets. Great and expensive shopping.

It is very easy to rent a car for the day if you want to see more. Hertz has an office very near the port of St Tropez tender dock.

Le Castellet is a mountain village in the Bandol area. Very pretty. Sanary is the closest port to Le Castellet and it is just on the other side of Toulon. Are you sure this excursion is offered from Saint-Tropez? Le Castellet is between Toulon and Marseille. St Trop is well east of Toulon. This does not make sense. Does your cruise stop in Sanary? It only became a port stop this Summer when Seabourn became the first cruise line to stop there.

Edited by marazul

Will be on the Regent in July and at one of the ports is a tour of St. Tropez and Port Grimaud and the other tour is Le Castellet & Sanary Sur Mer. Not sure which to take. These are free tours.

St Tropez - not outstanding but a very pleasant place to spend 2-3 hours walking around. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]_NcDithaCEY[/YOUTUBE]

Sanary sur Mer is one of my absolute favourite places - we talked to a shopkeeper who said that it is like St Tropez used to be many years ago. We took a Star Clipper cruise this year precisely because Sanary was one of the destinations. In my opinion Port Grimaud is a bit like a Disneyland version of a Mediterranean village - Grimaud is the 'proper place'.

St Tropez is interesting, we have visited twice during the big regatta "Les Voilles" in September and also in October when the designer shops have a huge sale with them spilling out onto the pavement with their end of season sale. It is a great place to walk round and people watch. You will enjoy either trip but I would go for Sanary and Le Castellet !

• Like 1

Sanary sur Mer is one of my absolute favourite places - we talked to a shopkeeper who said that it is like St Tropez used to be many years ago. We took a Star Clipper cruise this year precisely because Sanary was one of the destinations. In my opinion Port Grimaud is a bit like a Disneyland version of a Mediterranean village - Grimaud is the 'proper place'.

St Tropez is interesting, we have visited twice during the big regatta "Les Voilles" in September and also in October when the designer shops have a huge sale with them spilling out onto the pavement with their end of season sale. It is a great place to walk round and people watch. You will enjoy either trip but I would go for Sanary and Le Castellet !

I will take your suggestion, thanks