CCL Imagination survives crash... Sails home to Miami w/ no Probs!

FunShipCruiser05

Yay! Just home from the 4 night imagination cruise this week to key west and cozumel. Had a minor crash that left a huge dent and needing some paint touch up on the front side of the ship. Couldnt see it much in Cozumel but saw it clearly as possible when de-embarking today. Cruise director tania said everything was ok, no major damage to vessel (Of course they will say that if the ship runs good and no issues mechanically)... but look at the outside! Im sure the new white paint will hide it good tho :o

Yay! Just home from the 4 night imagination cruise this week to key west and cozumel. Had a minor crash that left a huge dent and needing some paint touch up on the front side of the ship. Couldnt see it much in Cozumel but saw it clearly as possible when de-embarking today. Cruise director tania said everything was ok, no major damage to vessel (Of course they will say that if the ship runs good and no issues mechanically)... but look at the outside! Im sure the new white paint will hide it good tho :o

Thanks for the info... hopefully someone on CC was on your sailing and may have pics of the damaged area as well as more details. Did no one feel a BUMP when it hit ??? I am assuming the hit took place when dockingin KW or COZ possibly ?

Hope your cruise was a great one despite the accident !

What did you guys hit? I wonder if that puts a blemish on the captains record. I guess no one got hurt at least, or it would have made national news.

If the ship hit something while porting, it's the harbor pilot who takes the fall:

Question:

Over the years I have heard numerous accounts of cruise ships grounding when entering or leaving harbors. In each case there must have been a harbor pilot onboard. What is the responsibility of the harbor pilot in accidents like these?

Answer:

When leaving port, from the point that the ship's docking pilot (usually the officer in command, especially on modern ships with thrusters) has cleared the pier, the ship is placed in the command of the local harbor pilot, who takes on full responsibility for navigation of the vessel. (The master retains full command of all other aspects of the ship). When entering a harbor the process is reversed. In either case, the pilot's authority extends for the time between docking and navigating the "high seas." In the case of port calls where the ship anchors rather than docks the harbor pilot is in charge of the time, place and manner of anchoring as well. During the period that the harbor pilot is in charge, he is empowered to issue steering directions, and to set the course and speed of the ship. All crew and officers must obey any pilot order, except that the captain may take over control from the harbor pilot if the pilot appears to be incompetent or impaired (for instance, intoxicated).

The legal rights and responsibilities of a harbor pilot's actions are well established, and, if collision or grounding is due to pilot negligence, the consequences fall squarely on his shoulders, and may even include personal responsibility for financial damages. For that reason, many state governments within the United States require harbor pilots to post a bond to cover those eventualities.

Nobody would specify what was hit. I dont think it was the dock that was hit because I was at the front of the ship watching as it was pulling into dock. It pulled in towards the dock at Puerta Maya with the Legend there, and as it was coming up on the dock, it pulled away to the left away from the dock... kinda sat there for a minute then pulled into the right to the dock. All I saw was the guide boat or whatever its called come around the ship to the front from the right side so wondering if it bumped them which I cant imagine them not avoiding a big vessel coming right at them. I didnt get a pic of it as I was de-embarking, probably should have, it looked worse then it really was, Id say it was around 1 to 2 feet above the water on the right side of the vessel at the front, facing port side when docked back in miami. So it hit something above water, just not sure what as the cruise director said it was nothing to worry about, had a little accident when pulling into cozumel......

We saw the Grandeur not long after that happened and that was a huge OOPS. It stayed like that for quite some time too.

Judging from the color of the dock and the color of the booboo on the Imagination, it looks like she definitely whacked the dock at a pretty good clip!

I remember many years ago on the Jubilee we struck the pier in Puerto Vallarta. It put a 4-5 inch gash in the side of the ship about 10-12 feet above the waterline. They covered it with duct tape and then painted over the tape. Needless to say we were a bit shocked and had a few giggles over the repair job.

Yikes!!!

DW and I sail on Imagination in two weeks. glad to hear/see that it isn't major damage and that no one was hurt.

I wonder what a boo-boo like that does to insurance rates:rolleyes:

Guess at least one more person will be unemployed this holiday season:rolleyes:

I wonder if the mishap was part of the "so you think yo can dock a cruise ship" reality TV show:rolleyes:

Ok I'm done now. sorry;)

Archived