What is Australia Day?

debshomespun

We will be sailing out of Sydney on Celebrity Solstice on Jan. 27, 2015. We plan to come over and stay a couple days pre-cruise in Sydney. I have found out Jan. 26 is Australia Day, a National Holiday. What type of festivities will be happening in Sydney for this time? Also, I am assuming the prices on Hotels will be at a premium, and we should try to book sooner rather than later to get a decent location and price. Any information you might be able to give us would be of great help on Australia Day, and locations for hotels.

Also, could anyone give me information on Bondi Beach Area? I am thinking we would like to stay there for our pre-cruise stay so we can relax before our cruise. Does the beach have facilities? (such as public restrooms, any type of restaurants?) What type of accommodations do they have in this area? Are they many hotels along the beach? I have been looking at VRBO's also. Thanks again for any input.

Bondi Beach has a range of accommodation from backpacker hostels to more upmarket places although one of the large beachside hotels is currently undergoing redevelopment so not sure what the situation will be in Jan 2015.

The beach area has tons of restaurants and cafes and there are public restrooms at the Pavilion in the middle of the beach and there are others on the pathway at the southern end of the beach.

There is a lovely pathway that runs around the cliff top from Bondi to Bronte and beyond. The scenery is fantastic and there are cafes and facilities along the way. Up until 10 months ago, we lived in the area so I knew it well but things are changing rapidly around Bondi especially in relation to accommodation.

On Australia Day, there is usually the Havaiianas Challenge at Bondi Beach where hundreds of people paddle into the ocean on giant inflatable flip flops - in Australia these are called thongs so don't be alarmed if you see the words 'Thong Challenge!' :D

I hope you have a great stay in Sydney wherever you choose.

There aren't many hotels along Campbell Parade which is the street that runs behind Bondi Beach. The large one was called the Swiss Grand but that is the one that was being redeveloped so I'm not sure what the current status is and I think it was going to change it's name as well. Perhaps someone else has more updated information. Perhaps check Trip Advisor to see what the current recommendations are

Edited by bronte2

The Swiss Grand at Bondi Beach is still under major renovation. I would not recommend Bondi for accommodation at this time. Manly is much nicer on the northern side of the harbour and connected to Sydney by fast ferry. Better selection of hotels as well. Certainly visit Bondi though and you can do this by HOHO bus. Bondi will also be packed on your dates.

Australia Day is the day that the British flag was struck on Australia's shores at Circular Quay, where your ship departs from. This occurred on 26 Jan 1788 when the 1st Fleet landed. They originally arrived at Botany Bay (near where the Airport is now - well sort of). 18-20 Jan but the bay was deemed unsuitable.

Check out Mr Google and perhaps visit your library and do some research on Australia.

Accommodation will be at premium prices no matter where you will be staying. It is also holiday season. We have the same problem going to Alaska:(. One of the better online sites is Booking.com but also check priceline.

Lots of harbour activity in Sydney on Australia Day such as ferry boat races, old sailing ships etc. this year we had a huge Naval display. Fireworks on at night.

Darling Harbour is a good alternative and has lots of attractions such as the Aquarium, National Maritime Museum, Wildlife Park etc. and hundreds of restaurants.

Sydney is a big city.

Hugh

Edited by cassamanda

Australia Day is like the 4th of July and everything is on in Sydney. Prices will be at a premium for accommodation I agree do not stay at Bondi. Bondi beach has everything shops restaurants accommodation etc but it is not one of our nicest beaches IMHO.

There will be fireworks over the harbour not as big as NYE but still will be good to see. (cannot from Bondi).

Thank you for all your quick replies. I have done some research on Australia Day, and accommodations in Sydney. We are looking to stay close to the Downtown area. Also, thinking we may do an evening cruise to watch the fireworks. There are several cruise companies that offer the "Fireworks sail". Looks like it would be a great place to watch the fireworks over the harbor! Thanks again for all the information. :D

Oh, and one more thing, Which beach would be the best choice from downtown area for a day visit?

Edited by debshomespun

Oh, and one more thing, Which beach would be the best choice from downtown area for a day visit?

Hi Debs,

Manly always get recommended, but I'm planning to go with Sis to Watson Bay and check out the Doyles restaurant for their famous fish dishes. They also have a cafe at the Fish market in Darling Harbour.

Probably going to go there as well:D

It really depends whether you want a surf beach (Manly, Bondi, Tamarama, Bronte, Cronulla, etc) or one of the harbour side beaches (no surf) like Watsons Bay. If you are not competent swimmers or not very confident in the water then be cautious on surf beaches, always swim between the red/yellow lifeguard flags and obey their instructions if they ask you to either move or come out of the water. They are there for your safety, not to spoil your fun. You would be amazed how many misguided visitors go rushing into the surf on our "iconic" beaches, completely underestimate the conditions and/or their abilities and have to be dragged ashore again by the hard working lifeguards.

It really depends whether you want a surf beach (Manly, Bondi, Tamarama, Bronte, Cronulla, etc) or one of the harbour side beaches (no surf) like Watsons Bay. If you are not competent swimmers or not very confident in the water then be cautious on surf beaches, always swim between the red/yellow lifeguard flags and obey their instructions if they ask you to either move or come out of the water. They are there for your safety, not to spoil your fun. You would be amazed how many misguided visitors go rushing into the surf on our "iconic" beaches, completely underestimate the conditions and/or their abilities and have to be dragged ashore again by the hard working lifeguards.

Good tips!!!

Be very careful of the wave conditions and harmless looking waters. Obey the flags.

Manly beach is a loooooong stretch of gorgeous beach and also patrolled by life guards.

Several decent (bit not luxurious) hotels there as well as loafs of eateries for most tastes and pockets.

For some very quiet beach time consider Balmoral beach. Definately no waves there, just well-to-do families. Some very good restaurants and upmarket cafes as well as one of sydneys best fish and chip shops. Bus or taxi from Spit Junction or Mosman Junction. Or a longish hike down a windy road from Mosman Junction.

You can do both beaches without any worries if you are staying a couple of days.

Catch the ferry over to Manly - just be aware that on the Saturday before Australia Day there will be a surf lifesaving carnival on there so this may or may not be of interest. Part of the beach will be cordoned off but the rest will be fine.

There is a HOHO bus that will take you around various sights and stops at Bondi Beach if you just wanted to have a short look. I believe the tickets are $25 for the day and also includes rides on the city HOHO bus as well as the one that goes through the Eastern Suburbs to Bondi. This would only be economical if you wanted to visit multiple places.

If you just wanted to go to Bondi the public bus is the cheapest way to go. If you do go to Bondi, make sure you at least walk to the headland at the southern end of the beach to take in the wonderful view of the coastline.

There are tons of beautiful beaches around Sydney both in the harbour and on the coast and everyone has their particular favourite but all are worth a visit.

As others have mentioned, if you intend to swim at any of the ocean beaches, make sure you swim between the red and yellow flags.

Have fun planning your visit whatever you choose to do and I hope you have a wonderful stay. :)

There are some good tips here. Having lived in Sydney my entire life, I would also recommend a visit to Taronga Zoo. You can get there by ferry from Circular Quay, and even if you're not a fan of animals, you get some of the best views of the Sydney skyline, particularly from the elephant and giraffe enclosures.

Again thank you so much for all the great information. Keep it all coming! There are so many things to do! It will be hard to decide just what we can fit into our time in Sydney. We will have a couple days before our Solstice sailing to NZ, then again a couple days before we leave on our RC Rhapsody cruise. Planning is half the fun!!

Debbie, last weekend I researched a bit about the Australia Day festival and found some info re last years' one. There was a link where you could put your name down for the brochure for the 2015 festival.

It is probably still a bit early for their brochure, but if I do receive something in the mail, I will notify you.

Last year they had free non-stop entertainment throughout the day on open air stages in the Rocks and Darling Harbour area. I'll expect something similar will happen this year.

There will be many events like opera, popular music, dance and drama.

Debbie, last weekend I researched a bit about the Australia Day festival and found some info re last years' one. There was a link where you could put your name down for the brochure for the 2015 festival.

It is probably still a bit early for their brochure, but if I do receive something in the mail, I will notify you.

Last year they had free non-stop entertainment throughout the day on open air stages in the Rocks and Darling Harbour area. I'll expect something similar will happen this year.

Thank you so much! Maybe we can meet up while in Sydney since we are staying at the same hotel, for the same amount of time. Not sure what we will be doing yet. I would like to do a harbour cruise on Australia Day during the evening to watch the fireworks. I have been doing some research, and coming up with some options!

Thank you so much! Maybe we can meet up while in Sydney since we are staying at the same hotel, for the same amount of time. Not sure what we will be doing yet. I would like to do a harbour cruise on Australia Day during the evening to watch the fireworks. I have been doing some research, and coming up with some options!

Same here, would like to do an evening cruise on Australia Day. Do you know any prices? Also interested in a meet up with you.

Have planned a few things so far. On first afternoon doing the Bridge Pylon climb (and photo's of course) and the Rocks area. Probably Darling Harbour at night. Sis is mad about zoo's, so will be spending a day at Taronga Zoo.

Same here, would like to do an evening cruise on Australia Day. Do you know any prices? Also interested in a meet up with you.

Have planned a few things so far. On first afternoon doing the Bridge Pylon climb (and photo's of course) and the Rocks area. Probably Darling Harbour at night. Sis is mad about zoo's, so will be spending a day at Taronga Zoo.

Check in on our roll call. Joe from Michigan has found a harbour dinner cruise for Australia Day. Looks good to us. I am thinking we will book this also. I need to get a Capital One Credit Card. All the cards I have charge a foreign transaction fee. I will be applying for one hopefully tomorrow. Soon as I get the card, we will be booking the dinner cruise. If any questions, let me know. You can also email me here: debshomespun @ hotmail.com...all scrunched up together. Put in the remarks: Solstice 1/27/15. Thanks!!

http://www.australiaday.com.au

There is free entertainment all over Sydney for Australia Day.

This year, we had a wonderful day at a Harbour Concert, on a floating stage, at Blues Point, followed by a Celtic Concert under the Sydney Harbour Bridge, North Sydney, where we avoided the crowds. From this spot, we had an excellent view of the Sydney Ferry Race and Tall Ships, etc.

Hint - Whatever you choose, take a picnic, pick one spot and get there early, as traffic becomes chaotic, as the ferries stop for the ferry race.

Edited by MMDown Under

www.australiaday.com.au

Hint - Whatever you choose, take a picnic, pick one spot and get there early, as traffic becomes chaotic, as the ferries stop for the ferry race.

Thanks for the tips:) Happily Debhomespun and us are very central, so can walk to everything, but will still take traffic in consideration.

• 1 month later...

Deb,

It appears you are on the same cruises as my husband and I: Celebrity Solstice and a week later on Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas. We are also coming in early to adjust to the time difference and also sightsee in Sydney. We hope to do a harbor dinner cruise on the evening of Australia Day. Didn't know what you found out regarding the harbor cruise. I'm still researching. Majestic cruises doesn't guarantee you'll see the fireworks due to harbor restrictions. Any information you found would be appreciated. We are staying at Meriton Apts. on Kent. Hope we get a high floor with a view of the harbor. Good reviews on Trip Advisor. Good rates with free cancellation booking directly through the hotel.

Barb

Deb,

It appears you are on the same cruises as my husband and I: Celebrity Solstice and a week later on Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas. We are also coming in early to adjust to the time difference and also sightsee in Sydney. We hope to do a harbor dinner cruise on the evening of Australia Day. Didn't know what you found out regarding the harbor cruise. I'm still researching. Majestic cruises doesn't guarantee you'll see the fireworks due to harbor restrictions. Any information you found would be appreciated. We are staying at Meriton Apts. on Kent. Hope we get a high floor with a view of the harbor. Good reviews on Trip Advisor. Good rates with free cancellation booking directly through the hotel.

Barb

Hello Barb! Come over to our roll call and read to see what some things going on here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1845857

Several of us are doing a dinner cruise on the evening of Australia Day. The site to sign up is www. Vagabond. com.au (all squished together). And the ship is the MVSpirit for anyone else that wants to sign up. Please make sure you add either Joe & Denise or the Cruise Critic group in comments so we can get a table together.

You are also on the Rhapsody cruise (Feb. 17?) If you would like to email me you can at:

debshomespun @ hotmail.com. Put Rhapsody cruise in the subject line. I have been researching so much, and trying to figure out what all we want to do. Also, looking at the airfare from US to Sydney! :eek:

We are staying 3 nights precruise in Sydney at the York by Swiss Bel-International hotel. Booked it on Hotels.com, and it is refundable if we find something else.

Edited by debshomespun

Deb,

We are staying at Meriton Apts. on Kent. Hope we get a high floor with a view of the harbor.

Barb

Not from there sorry. The rooms are Darling Harbour View, no Sydney harbour view. So OK for the Aussie day fireworks but you won't see either the bridge or opera house from them

• 2 weeks later...

After much research, I did the vagabond spirit Australia Day cruise last year with my parents and adult daughter so I thought you might like a bit of a recap?

The boat was very crowded. Actually they messed up our seating and we had to cram in a bit with other people, they did give us a few free drinks to "apologise"

The atmosphere on the boat was very festive and they played some great Australian songs which everyone sang along to at the end of the evening.

The food was plentiful with a good amount of fresh seafood and no complaints with the food.

The fireworks are in Darling harbour, (not near the bridge and opera House which is New Years Eve only). The boat got in close enough to watch them from a distance and my parents were able to watch them from the window at our table.

We had debated just going to darling harbour to watch them, and we certainly would have had a much better view of them but my parents were not up to standing or walking for too long so the cruise was a nice alternative.

I would recommend the cruise for the atmosphere alone, yes it is crowded, it is not a luxury dinner cruise but for what we paid, the food and the fun it was a good night.

On the morning of Australia Day we went to the Harbour early and parked ourselves on a low sandstone wall on the waters edge, almost under the harbour bridge in the Rocks area and watched all the activities on the harbour, the ferry race, the 21 gun salute, the fly overs, dancing tug boats etc. there was free sausage sizzle and free pancakes shaped like Australia so that was breakfast taken care of!

It is a great day around the harbour in Sydney on Australia Day.

You can also buy tickets to be on the Ferries for the race or there are tall ships you can also go on during the day.

I live about 1.5 hours out of Sydney, we stayed at the Marriottt Sydney Harbour, they had a last minute special, a fantastic location.

Enjoy Sydney it's a beautiful City!