Coco Cay Cabenette-Clamshell questions

Anniversarygirl25

This is what RCI's website lists for the clamshell/cabenette rental. Does anyone have recent experience with renting one of these? All I come up with when I search are things more than a year old and I believe some things have changed. Is there still a tram? do you really have a beach attendant? It seems to suggest that you can eat beachside, but I thought you had to go back to the BBQ like everyone else?

Thanks for any info, I just booked one and want to be fully prepared! :)

Kick off your shoes and relax in style while the ocean breeze welcomes you to the Bahamas. Total relaxation is on the horizon when you spend a spectacular day in CocoCay surrounded by the luxury of your own exclusive Beach Lounger. Situated on the quiet, secluded side of our private island destination, these beachside loungers serve as the perfect seaside oasis for two. Soak up the sun, nap under your shade, swim in CocoCay’s clear blue waters, or unwind at your leisure. Your Beach Lounger package for two includes a bounty of luxury amenities: 2 comfortable floating beach mats, 2 bottles of water, a fresh fruit platter, towels, and transportation to Barefoot Beach. You’ll also enjoy the service of your very own personal beach attendant, who is ready to fulfill your every wish: whether it’s sipping tropical cocktails with a view of turquoise waters, or savoring a delectable beachside meal. It’s paradise with a hint of luxury, set amidst the island environs of CocoCay.

This is what RCI's website lists for the clamshell/cabenette rental. Does anyone have recent experience with renting one of these? All I come up with when I search are things more than a year old and I believe some things have changed. Is there still a tram? do you really have a beach attendant? It seems to suggest that you can eat beachside, but I thought you had to go back to the BBQ like everyone else?

Thanks for any info, I just booked one and want to be fully prepared! :)

Kick off your shoes and relax in style while the ocean breeze welcomes you to the Bahamas. Total relaxation is on the horizon when you spend a spectacular day in CocoCay surrounded by the luxury of your own exclusive Beach Lounger. Situated on the quiet, secluded side of our private island destination, these beachside loungers serve as the perfect seaside oasis for two. Soak up the sun, nap under your shade, swim in CocoCay’s clear blue waters, or unwind at your leisure. Your Beach Lounger package for two includes a bounty of luxury amenities: 2 comfortable floating beach mats, 2 bottles of water, a fresh fruit platter, towels, and transportation to Barefoot Beach. You’ll also enjoy the service of your very own personal beach attendant, who is ready to fulfill your every wish: whether it’s sipping tropical cocktails with a view of turquoise waters, or savoring a delectable beachside meal. It’s paradise with a hint of luxury, set amidst the island environs of CocoCay.

I read this too and wondered the very same thing you did. And if it's anything like Labadee, the 'beach attendants' hounded/hawked us for tips. I'd like to rent one of these for myself and my 80 yo mother. It would be a perfect place for her to sit and read in the shade on the beach while her grandchildren swim and play for the day. I'd love to get more recent information on Coco Cay.

Also looking for some recent info on snorkeling in Coco Cay. And would it be better to snorkel in CC or on Nassau?

I'll be there on Wednesday so I will try to remember to come back and update you. I rented one of these a few years ago, and I too recall the tram back to the BBQ, and the waitress from the bar. I guess you could have beachside dining if you bring your food back with you? ;) And your own personal attendant if the bartender/waitress comes around a lot? I definitely had to go up to the bar a few times--I don't remember her being overly attentive.

I rented it again for my upcoming cruise because I love Barefoot Beach, I need shade, and I appreciate being close to a bar. It's incredibly relaxing and worth the $50 to me to be away from all the crowds.

I'll be there on Wednesday so I will try to remember to come back and update you. I rented one of these a few years ago, and I too recall the tram back to the BBQ, and the waitress from the bar. I guess you could have beachside dining if you bring your food back with you? ;) And your own personal attendant if the bartender/waitress comes around a lot? I definitely had to go up to the bar a few times--I don't remember her being overly attentive.

I rented it again for my upcoming cruise because I love Barefoot Beach, I need shade, and I appreciate being close to a bar. It's incredibly relaxing and worth the $50 to me to be away from all the crowds.

Oh bluegirlum that would be awesome!! I don't mind making my own trips to the bar. I need shade and I know my mom will very much appreciate a nice shady spot to read and, like I said, watch her grandchildren swim!! Let me know what you find out!!

Thank you!! Happy Cruising!

I'm back from my cruise (boo!--I wish I was still in Coco Cay) and have a report for you. When you get off the tender, the tram stop is about 100 feet in from of you. It says "Tram Stop to South Beach." The tram (which is an upgrade from a few years ago) picks you up there and takes you on the 5 minute trip to the other tram stop and an area with a sign marked "Beach Loungers." Once there, you will be met by Linda, who is WONDERFUL. She will check you in and give you your wristbands. You can then pick your cabanette (previously I had picked which one I wanted at the Excursions Desk but it's now first come first serve). She will then tell you that the tram will come for lunch at either 12 or 12:30, and that if you want to go somewhere else on the island at all, let her know and she'll call the tram to come take you. You then go to your little cabanette and are given a cooler with 2 bottles of water and a plate of fruit. You also have 2 floating mats, which are really nice. There are extra towels too.

The water there is very shallow so you can go out really far (I would think it would be nice if you have kids--but be careful, because it's shallow, then deep very quickly, then shallow again), and there is some seaweed/grass, so if that bothers you, bring water shoes. It's really not bad. We saw some fish, some sea cucumbers and a sting ray (I saw a starfish last time).

The tram actually came for lunch at 11:45 and 12:15, but that was fine. We had the option of staying at the BBQ or bringing it back. If you want to bring it back with you, you just go back to the tram stop which is across from the BBQ. So yes, we had beachside dining. :) And Linda was very attentive--she noticed that the sun was hitting our legs and came and moved the cabanette around so we had more shade. We did have to walk to the bar each time we wanted a drink, but that was about 20 steps, so it wasn't too horrible. :D Last call for drinks from the bar was 2:30 and the last tram was supposed to be at 4 (we left at 3:15 and just walked back to the tender--it took probably 15 minutes).

Let me know if you have any questions. I highly recommend it! Hopefully the pictures I've attached work. (And no need to worry about being hounded for tips...there was none of that at all! We tried to tip Linda and she wouldn't take it, so we made sure to say extra nice things about her in the post-cruise survey.)

12802698_10156706495440195_5065593394571051616_n.jpg.f948f16ef1b944e5e204df9e2843b032.jpg

12832464_10156706495300195_5776769108539225408_n.jpg.1a7f2692ffe6589a467638b43cf24e54.jpg

Edited by bluegirlum

We had considered renting one of these and were glad we didn't when we found the location. I like to swim and it is way to shallow in front of them. Also, there are plenty of other spots that provide shade and are far enough away from loud music.

This was our first time to the island and it was a very pleasant surprise.

I'm back from my cruise (boo!--I wish I was still in Coco Cay) and have a report for you. When you get off the tender, the tram stop is about 100 feet in from of you. It says "Tram Stop to South Beach." The tram (which is an upgrade from a few years ago) picks you up there and takes you on the 5 minute trip to the other tram stop and an area with a sign marked "Beach Loungers." Once there, you will be met by Linda, who is WONDERFUL. She will check you in and give you your wristbands. You can then pick your cabanette (previously I had picked which one I wanted at the Excursions Desk but it's now first come first serve). She will then tell you that the tram will come for lunch at either 12 or 12:30, and that if you want to go somewhere else on the island at all, let her know and she'll call the tram to come take you. You then go to your little cabanette and are given a cooler with 2 bottles of water and a plate of fruit. You also have 2 floating mats, which are really nice. There are extra towels too.

The water there is very shallow so you can go out really far (I would think it would be nice if you have kids--but be careful, because it's shallow, then deep very quickly, then shallow again), and there is some seaweed/grass, so if that bothers you, bring water shoes. It's really not bad. We saw some fish, some sea cucumbers and a sting ray (I saw a starfish last time).

The tram actually came for lunch at 11:45 and 12:15, but that was fine. We had the option of staying at the BBQ or bringing it back. If you want to bring it back with you, you just go back to the tram stop which is across from the BBQ. So yes, we had beachside dining. :) And Linda was very attentive--she noticed that the sun was hitting our legs and came and moved the cabanette around so we had more shade. We did have to walk to the bar each time we wanted a drink, but that was about 20 steps, so it wasn't too horrible. :D Last call for drinks from the bar was 2:30 and the last tram was supposed to be at 4 (we left at 3:15 and just walked back to the tender--it took probably 15 minutes).

Let me know if you have any questions. I highly recommend it! Hopefully the pictures I've attached work. (And no need to worry about being hounded for tips...there was none of that at all! We tried to tip Linda and she wouldn't take it, so we made sure to say extra nice things about her in the post-cruise survey.)

Thanks for the report and photos!

All that for $50?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do they have any that are close to each other? It will be my husband and I along with our 4 year old son. I'd prefer just getting one, but didn't know how strict the only 2 guest rule is. If I had 2, they would need to be close to each other.

• 2 weeks later...

We will have 3 adults so i am curious about having 2 cabanettes too. My daughter is the third and would not want to be in the shade anyway. Are there extra lounge chairs available since we don't really need 2?

• 1 month later...

My wife and I rented a cabanette on our first cruise back in 2013. Just checking to see if that was still offered as we will be on the Majesty next October.

The cabanettes/clamshells are the best value going! Bluegirlum's experience pretty much sums up how we were treated three years ago. And Linda was our attendant then too!

Great to hear that RCI still gives you an option on Coco Cay to separate yourself from gen pop.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Bluegirlum - so the clamshells can be moved around to provide shade as the sun moves? My husband hates the sun. Are they able to be lifted and turned, or rotated on their base, etc?

Thanks in advance!

We rented a clamshell and I was rather disappointed. We were not able to move them around so our legs were in the sun. I would have preferred an umbrella because the clamshell blocked the breeze better than the sun so it was stuffy under there, and the beach was slanted, so our chairs were leaning forward. They seem to be more for privacy then sunblocking because they are mostly behind the chairs rather than over the chairs. The location is wonderful, though. Right near the swim up bar and a beer truck stops by regularly. Bottom line - I loved the location but not the clamshells.

It looks like there is now an option to rent the beach lounger for $45 a day for 2, but it doesn't include any extras; the other option is the beach bed which can hold up to 6 for $125 and includes the 2 floating beach mats and stocked cooler, but the celebrity website doesn't have any photos of this option.

The next option up is the cabana/ bungalow at $195 for 6.

trying to decide between the lounger and the bed, but hard without a better idea of what the beach bed actually is.... anyone try these before?

• 2 weeks later...

If you google "Cococay beach bed" the first result seems to show the beds. Looks like they're poster style beds with fabric over the top and moveable curtains on all four sides. Can anyone confirm?

We're going to reserve this instead of the clamshell loungers so DH can move the curtains around to keep the direct sun off him...he's really not a fan of sun and doesn't sound like the clamshells will be a good choice because of this.

I, however, will be out on my floating beach mat with a "Cocoloco"... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you google "Cococay beach bed" the first result seems to show the beds. Looks like they're poster style beds with fabric over the top and moveable curtains on all four sides. Can anyone confirm?

We're going to reserve this instead of the clamshell loungers so DH can move the curtains around to keep the direct sun off him...he's really not a fan of sun and doesn't sound like the clamshells will be a good choice because of this.

I, however, will be out on my floating beach mat with a "Cocoloco"... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anyone know where the beds are located? We are going for a bungalow or bed, which ever is available, and we are sailing in 2 weeks, so I will be glad to take photos are looks for things for anyone else and report back.

• 11 months later...
Anyone know where the beds are located? We are going for a bungalow or bed, which ever is available, and we are sailing in 2 weeks, so I will be glad to take photos are looks for things for anyone else and report back.

Hi there, wondering which you chose and whether you have any advice? I'm leaning towards the bed, thinking it will offer more sun coverage, but I'm concerned about the location and whether it will be boring for my 11 year old? Thanks!