Sensation Review - Too Looooonnnngggg

crzmom

We just got back from a five day cruise on the Sensation. We had the Saturday through Thursday sailing 2/26-3/3. This was our third cruise. We had previously cruised on the Fascination and the Triumph. My husband and I are 38/39. We have two kids that stayed home with our parents.

NEW ORLEANS

We flew into New Orleans on Friday night and stayed at the Marriott on Canal Street. It was a very nice hotel, clean and quiet. The employees were all friendly and helpful. We booked this hotel through an online site for $50. We loved the location of this hotel.

On Friday night we walked the three blocks to Bourbon Street. We’ve never been to New Orleans and had no idea what to expect. What a blast! I thought Bourbon Street only partied like that during Mardi Gras. Apparently it goes on all year long. The street was packed, everyone was walking around with their drinks, people lined the balconies throwing beads, and there was plenty of shirt lifting going on. We had a really good meal at Mike Anderson’s and stayed on Bourbon until midnight just enjoying the party. It was so much fun!

The next day the hotel stored our luggage for us while we walked a block over the Decatur Street. We had a great time seeing all the shops, Jackson Square and the French Market. We had delicious cheeseburgers at Margaritaville. We were enjoying ourselves so much that we weren’t even in a hurry to get on the boat. We finally took a taxi to port and arrived there around 1:30. There was a HUGE line at check in – one line for everyone. It didn’t matter if you had completed your Fun Pass ahead of time. Anyway, Carnival had so many people doing check in that we made it through that line within 15 minutes. The pictures, security, etc. took another 20 mins. From start to finish we were on the boat in less than 45 minutes.

We had read some terrible things about the port in New Orleans. However, we didn’t experience anything negative. The people were friendly and we were pleasantly surprised by our entire N.O. experience. In fact, my husband and I both agree that the city was one of the top highlights of our trip.

Unfortunately, the one draw back to leaving from NO was the weather. It was very windy and around 64 degrees the day we left port. The next day, a day at sea was cooler than that. The winds were so strong we were only allowed on the Lido Deck. The upper decks were closed for safety reasons. Even on the Lido, there was a constant spray of water due to the high winds. We didn’t stay out there.

The next day we were in Costa Maya. It was partly to mostly cloudy and breezy. It was probably around 78 degrees. The next day, Cozumel, was our nicest day. It was mostly sunny and around 80 degrees. It felt so good! The next day, our last day at sea was in the sixties and windy. BRRRR.

THE SHIP

The ship is an older ship. Yes, the carpets are stained. (EGADS!!) There is a general sense that “this isn’t a new ship”. I’m not sure why, but I had a much harder time getting a sense of direction on this ship than on the Triumph – which is bigger. We experienced a LOT of movement on this ship. We had read about this in advance, so we took our Bonine every day. However, we could not believe how much the ship rocked.

Unfortunately, the extreme motion of the ship led to some problems in our room. Our room was NOISY. For the first time ever, we booked a guarantee. We won’t ever do this again. We were on the Main deck in room M258. This room is on the back of the ship. Our window, which was very clean, looked right out on the wake of the ship. It was a hike wherever we went, but we liked that. We felt less guilty about all the pizza we were chowing down!

Because it was on the back of the ship, there was a lot of vibration in our room. This didn’t bother us at all. It was almost kind of soothing. However, at night, when you tried to sleep the other noises were terrible. Our closet door kept creaking open and shut. We finally placed a chair against it at night. The lights at the vanity table in the cabin were over a plastic piece of lattice. (Almost like a drop ceiling.) Every time the ship moved (which was constantly) the lattice rattled. It wasn’t a constant rattle that you could zone out to and sleep, it varied according to the angle of the ship. I finally climbed up there (at 3 am) and placed my husband’s heavy dress shoes on the lattice to stop the noise. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a solution to the noise that was in the corner of the wall by our bed. It’s hard to explain, but our wall made a “clicking” noise as the boat moved. My husb. felt it was one of the beams rubbing on the dry wall. Again, this noise varied with the pitch of the ship. It was so annoying I did not sleep well the entire trip. In hindsight, I was such a dope! I should have just asked for earplugs at the purser’s desk. Duh!

THE SERVICE

This was the best crew we’ve had yet. Elena and Istvan our servers in the dining room were wonderful. Paul, our cabin steward, was very nice. I didn’t realize that this ship didn’t provide blow dryers and didn’t bring mine. I had a heart attack when I got there and discovered my ignorance. Paul just said “no problem” and gave me a blow dryer to use for the week. Shawn, the CD was good. Any crew member I saw always said hello. I really like the crew on this ship.

We also thought the food was good. I did hear some people complaining about it, but we’re pretty easy to please. We have sympathy for anyone who is supposed to quickly produce HOT, tasty food for hundreds of people at once. I also felt the buffet offerings were better this time. When we saw the same large fried shrimp on the buffet that we had just had in the dining room, we couldn’t believe it. People were heaping 12-15 at a time on their plate. We were surprised to see that expensive of an item on the buffet.

THE SHOWS

Las Vegas style dancing shows aren’t our thing, so we didn’t attend those. I heard from people we dined with that those were fine though. Not spectacular, but okay.

The comedian (I wish I would have written down his name) that did the R-rated show on the second night was great. We laughed our butts off. He did a kid-friendly version the next night and we enjoyed that as well. We wished we could have gone to a show of his every night. The magician on the third night was good.

We also had fun watching the different events on the Lido Deck. The group of men who entered the Hairy Chest contest were a riot.

COSTA MAYA

The shopping area right by the dock is very nice and new here. The salt water pool winds around the mall. It has a swim up bar and fountains in it. There is a restaurant at one end of the little mall right next to a portion of the pool. There is beach area right in front of the restaurant with lounge chairs. It was a very pretty area. Friends ate at the restaurant and said it was good.

However, we left the mall and took a taxi about five minutes to Majahaul. This little fishing village has a sand road with little shacks that sell trinkets and food on one side and has a small strip of beach with tables, chairs and umbrellas on the other. The taxi dropped us on one side of the village and we began to walk down the road to look for a restaurant/bar we had heard about on this site. (Tapas) As we walked I could see my husband slowly looking around a realizing that at that moment, we were the only Americans in the village. (Later he said he felt like he was in the “Mexican Hood”. LOL) He gave me one of those, “What are you getting us into?” kind of looks. But everyone there was friendly, trying to get us to buy their “junk” as one of the vendors put it.

We got to Tapas and a waiter seated us fifteen feet from the water at a table with an umbrella. We had yummy margaritas ($5) and chips w/salsa & guacamole. Later we ordered some fried shrimp that had just been caught that morning. It was the freshest we’d ever had. Alan, one of the waiters was hilarious. He told jokes and chatted with us on and off all day. The bathroom was small and rustic, but clean.

We ended up talking to another couple that was seated next to us and were surprised to find out they recognized my user name from a roll call I initiated on here. Chris and Marla ended up sitting with us and we had a laugh over what a small world it was. I wanted a massage from one of the tables that was set up right there on the beach. Alan told us to only go to Fernando, because he was so good. In fact, Alan brought Fernando right to our table to meet us. Three of us got a massage from him. It was the best massage I’ve ever had. It was great lying there in the sun, listening to the music and the surf, being massaged. It was the best $20 I’ve ever spent. Later, Marla and I walked down the road looking at the different things for sale at all the stands. The guys stayed at the beach drinking free beer from Alan. At the end of the day, the taxi took us back to the small mall where the ship was docked. We’d had such a great time with Chris & Marla that we made plans to meet with them later that night. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to find them. We looked for them over the next couple of days to hang out with us, but we never saw them again. WAAAAH! Oh well, we had a blast with you guys in Costa Maya!!!! It was an adventure!

COZUMEL

We’ve been to Coz before, so there weren’t any excursions we were desperate to do. Instead, we shopped in the morning and then met with another couple from our dinner table in the afternoon. We took a taxi to Paradise Beach because we’d heard so many good reviews on this site. We had a great afternoon there. The bathrooms were like any other well-kept American bathroom, tiled, large, and clean. The food was great, and the service was excellent. Even thought there were five ships in port that day, the beach wasn’t packed. We got lounge chairs and umbrellas without any problem. Our waiter brought a bottle filled with tequila and some other mix and had us tilt our heads back to pour it into our mouths. I didn’t have any (even thought I love free stuff) but I couldn’t believe how much of it he poured into the guy’s mouths. We introduced ourselves to PB Tom and heard the happy news that he’s going to be a dad. You can tell that he is thrilled.

Debarkation

We chose to do self-assist, or "express checkout." We wanted to get off the ship early and wander N.O. some more. We also liked that we didn’t have to put out our bags the night before. However, when we got up in the morning it was pouring. Since we were no longer in a hurry, we stayed in the cabin until deadline – which was 8:30. We dragged our bags up to the Lido deck and ate some breakfast. By 8:45 they made the announcement that everyone could disembark. They encouraged us to take our time so that everyone wouldn’t try to rush off at once. A little after nine we went to the Empress Deck and we were off the ship in less than 10 minutes.

After we got off with our bags, we sent them on ahead to the airport with the Rush-It service because our return flight wasn't until 2:45 p.m. We took the trolley back down to the French Market, wandered Decatur Street some more, ate some lunch and then headed off to the airport. We loved that Rush-It service. For $20 they will take 3 pieces to the airport and store if for you until you’re ready for your flight. Each additional bag was $5. It was an extremely convenient service.

SUMMARY

In looking back over this review, I realize it sounds pretty negative. I don’t want to give the impression that this was a horrible vacation. This wasn’t our favorite cruise, but that has nothing to do with the ship, service, Carnival, etc. The weather was just cruddy. We only had one day that was mostly sunny. We only had two warm days. Living in Wisconsin, we were dying for warmth and sun. Obviously, no one has any control over the weather. It’s just that we feel a little less “re-charged” than we have on past cruises in constant sun and warmth.

We realized the Sensation was an older ship before we left. That doesn’t bother us at all. In fact, it was one of the reasons we were able to get such a good deal on our tickets. The service was great, the food was good, we met fun people, we had fun in both ports. We still love Carnival. We think they provide the best value out there.

Thank you so much to all the people that take the time to post on this forum. We have learned so much from you all. Our cruises wouldn’t we half as fun if it weren’t for all the valuable information I’ve learned on these boards. I tell everyone about you guys!

Wendy

Hi Wendy. SO glad to hear that y'all loved our city so much! Now you'll have to come back down and spend more time. Just don't come during Mardi Gras - it's too much of a madhouse for weeks.;)

Like you, I enjoyed my cruise on the Sensation, but it was not my favorite, either. Nothing major, just uh, different from others. Thx for taking the time to post a review, and welcome home!

Cotton: my SO is coming into your town the Tuesday after Easter-- will things be a little bit quieter then??

Please allow me to add my pictures of Costa Maya and Tappas here for you. It was a very fun place to spend a few hours.

http://community.webshots.com/album/283722808YEZBmx

Here is the web page Joe made for the people who own Tappas

http://www.joephila.org/tapas/tapas.html

Thanks for the review. We are leaving this Saturday to sail the Sensation, and I hope we have better weather. What were people complaining about the food? I have been looking forward to it...it sounds so tasty!

Kguenther Asked, "What were people complaining about the food? I have been looking forward to it...it sounds so tasty!"

The people who were complaining just seemed to be unhappy with all the food in general. When I was going through the midnight buffet line I said to my husband, "Imagine all of the time and effort that went into setting up this beautiful buffet."

The women in front of me turned around and said sarcastically, "Yeah, too bad that don't put a little of that energy into the food we have to eat every day."

I enjoyed the food. I finally got to try the pumpkin soup that everyone raves about, and it was wonderful. I did get a bad lobster on formal night, but my husband's was great. I think something like that is beyond the cook's control. My husband loved the sweet and sour shrimp. My tenderloin and linguine w/asparagus & turkey were also really good. And, don't forget the pizza. I live for that pizza!!!

Also, Cotton, I had read your Sensation review and I really appreciate that you posted it. I went on this trip determined to have a good time, but I didn't have expectations to experience the cruise of a lifetime. Your review was really realistic and we kept it in mind when we left for our trip.

Serene, you should come with him! Yes, thank goodness things will have calmed down and all the crazies gone home by then. The week following Easter is pretty calm - by N.O. standards. Still all the great stuff going on in the Quarter, which is 365 days a year.

Kim, the food was fine on the Sensation, don't worry. I didn't see much if any difference. I don't have any meals on Lido, because I love being in a nicer atmosphere in the dining room for all meals. Some folks, however, think the Lido buffet is wonderful, and to each their own. That's what's so great - being able to choose where and what to eat for each meal. Just don't miss the pizza. It has the best crust of any I've ever tasted. Oh, and try a Grilled Reuben sandwich from the deli...right next to the pizzeria. You'll probably come back raving about how great the food was!:)

Wish I could go with him- I loved Nola- we came during Southern Decadence back in 2000= Never in my life did I see so many fine men all in one place. lol Joe is going for a work conference and wont let me go--- waaaaa

re the food on cruise ships- I think people go with a higer expectation on how they think it will taste- that is where the disappointment comes in at. These chefs are cooking for over 1500 people...if thats what you go expecting you will be pleasantly surprised. Also--remember you are not cooking it or cleaning up after it so again it makes the meal enjoyable.

I als belive that since Carnival changed their menu in recent weeks the chefs are slightly off getting used to the new menu. The new sweet and sour shrimp were awesome- so much better that what we got in 2002 for sure.

Serene - I asked on another thread, but you probably missed it....Did you post NEW menus? I thought somewhere I saw that you did, but if so, I haven't seen them. Any GREAT differences?

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the detailed report!

So, the ship did a lot of rocking? That makes me nervous, as my kids (13 and 10 years old) and I are going on the Sensation for our first cruise in April. Both my kids and I have sea sickness tendencies. I plan on using Bonine and sea bands on our wrists. I will also bring the patch for myself and my daughter in case the other two don't work (my son is too young to use the patch).

Did you see anyone who got sea sick?

I really wanted to go on the Conquest thinking there would be a smaller chance of getting sick on that large ship... but we need the shorter cruise in order to visit some relatives for a couple of days while in Louisiana.

Thanks for any info. you have!!

Carole

Hi:

Even thought the ship really rocked, we never got sick. We both have problems with sea sickness, however, Bonine once a day, really makes a difference for us. The first night was especially bad. The next day we saw people wearing the motion sickness patch everywhere. I've never seen so many of those little white circles in one place in my life. LOL! On the bright side, I didn't hear of even one person who was constantly sick. It seemed that once people began taking Bonine or using the patch, all symptoms disappeared.

One person that we dined with did feel quite ill the first couple of days. Once she began taking Dramamine she didn't have a problem the rest of the trip. Think positive - I bet you'll all be fine.

W.

Serene - I asked on another thread, but you probably missed it....Did you post NEW menus? I thought somewhere I saw that you did, but if so, I haven't seen them. Any GREAT differences?

Cotton: I am working on it still- cant believe how time consuming this all takes. No wonder people dont post their capers each week. You have to scan each page. Then you have to size it so it gets accepted onto webshots. It took me most of the day yesterday to scan the dessert menu.

Hi Wendy

Thanks for your honest, detailed review. We're sailing on the Sensation at the end of the month and I just recently discovered these boards. I've been reading up on all the information I can and it's really nice to get current feedback. I don't think you sounded negative at all! :)

Do you think the motion you experienced could have been due to how windy it was? I've been on several cruises and never had a problem with motion and I'd hate this trip to be the first. It's a shame the weather didn't cooperate better for you. I'm from Wisconsin too and can REALLY relate to how important it is to escape the cold. I hope we have better luck!

Hi:

It was quite windy during our trip so I know that didn't help the boat's "rockiness". However, it seems that almost every Sensation review that I've read has commented on the movement on that ship. Some people have said that the captain has turned the stablizers off to gain more speed. I'm not sure that's even possible though. Anyway, bring your Bonine and you'll be fine!

I bet that your weather will be much better than ours. My Yahoo homepage displays New Orleans weather forecast every day. It is getting warmer as the days go along. Also, some people we met that live in N.O. said that it was unusually chilly when we were there. So, it's bound to improve by the time you leave for your cruise. Have a great time!!

What week in April are you going on the Sensation? We go the 14th. I have the same concerns as my 8 year old gets very car sick. Several posts have mentioned using chewable ginger tabletsfor younger kids but I've not been able to find any. I bought some of the sea bands too.

Robbie

Now I am worried. I haven't gotten any "sea-sick" stuff at all. If I buy sea bands, where do I get them, and how much are they? Should I just wait and let the ship provide me with Bonine if we need it, or is that a pain?

Thanks!

Do you think the Sensation is good for a first cruise? I've read other reviews that seem very honest, and I'm not looking for anything more than a good time!

Also, guess what crzmom? I'm booked onto M258 -- I am going to look into doing what I can do get outta there. I booked through an online TA so I am going to contact them. I booked a 6a gty, and found my assignement through Book Modify. I sail 4/18, so hopefully that's enough time to switch my room.

Thanks for the great review. Glad to hear you had fun @ PB, that's where we may go when we're in Cozumel.

I think the Sensation is great for a first cruise. We met three different couples that were cruising for the first time. All three loved it, and plan on cruising again regularly now.

You have M258?! OMG, what a small world. We also got it through an online agency when we booked a guarantee. I would definitely try to get a different room if I was you, especially if you don't enjoy walking a lot. Have a wonderful trip!

W.

Do you think the Sensation is good for a first cruise? I've read other reviews that seem very honest, and I'm not looking for anything more than a good time!

The Sensation is GREAT for a first cruise! I have been on her twice and she is wonderful!!!! That ship will always be my favorite!!! Have a great time!!

Now I am worried. I haven't gotten any "sea-sick" stuff at all. If I buy sea bands, where do I get them, and how much are they? Should I just wait and let the ship provide me with Bonine if we need it, or is that a pain?

Thanks!

You can buy the Sea-Bands at Walmart or about any pharmacy. I think I paid $8.50 for each set. (You wear one on each arm). This will be our first time to use them but my cousin swears by them.

Robbie

I think I still will have a wonderful time :)

Crzmom, it's not the walking I'd mind (I'll probably need it after all the good food!) but in your review you said you weren't able to sleep in there - that's what I'd want to change!

Emailing my TA today . . . .:)

Cawhite

what week are you going. My family and another family are going April 4th, we have two teenagers (14 & 15).

This is our first cruise and we chose the Sensation because of the NO port and the price.

We booked a quarntee OV and was upgraded to the Empress deck. I was very pleased.

I am glad that we have boards like this one.

I have read alot of reviews and for the most part I have heard good things. I figure this is our first and we really don't have anything to compare to.

Wendy thanks for your review I like it when the review go for day 1 to the debarkment. It really helps give us a bigger picture on how it works.

Wendy or anyone else who would like to answer:

What about the drinks (alcohol) Some people have said you can ask for their special drink of the day for about 2.50 and some have said the alcohol bev are from 4.50 to 6.00 plus graduity. Any tips or are you stuck just paying the price. I have heard other bring there own on the ship but I wouldn't want to risk getting caught.

One more thing how about the dress code I know there is one formal night but for the most part of the other nights what do you see most poeple wearing. I don't want to be over dressed but I don't what to be under dressed too. I just want to be comfortable but appropirate.

We are visiting Calica/playa does anyone know what port we dock into. What is there to do except to snorkel.

In Cozumel we are planning on going to the PB or Chankanaar Park? Which do you perfer? I heard good thing abt PB (man made beach)but I wonder if you get the real feel of the tropical nature or would you see more if we went to the Chankanaar. By the web site Chankanaar looked more tropical with the snorkelin and Dolphins, etc. I would really like to meet TOM, he seems like a neat guy.

My husband and son would like to do a fishing trip? any suggestions.

Well I think that's all. anyone traveling on the SENSATION in the next few weeks be sure to post you reviews and if you are going on the APRIL 4th 2005 I will see you there.

Wendy,

We are going to NO on 4/2/05 before we sail out on the SENSATION on 4/4/05. We are statying at LaQuinta on 301 canel.

When you were in NO what transportation didyou use to get around the FQ? Were you close enoght to walk?

How did you get to the port on the day of th embarkment?

I though maybe we could take the trollie but didn't know because of the luggage thought probably have to take a taxi?

any blues type restaurants to visit why in NO. We have not a clue what to do in NO. We will have half of Saturday and all day sunday and Sunday night.

thanks for your story it really helps.

Hi there,

No my kids (13 y.o. girl, 10 y.o boy) and I are going for 5 nights on 4/9. We'll miss you by a few days. We just received our docs today!

Your upgrade sounds good. We bought an assigned o.v. cabin, and also are on the Empress Deck.

We too are trying to decide between Paradise Beach & Chaankanab when in Cozumel. We're doing a scuba dive / snorkel trip 1st however. My daughter is getting dive certified this month here in San Diego, and my son and I will snorkel.

Have fun!

Let us know how you liked it when you get back!

Carole

Archived