Paying a year ahead

sayaguru

Started researching for next May and sent an Email to the travel agent. She came back with as Viking cruise (we went Uniworld last time but she says Uniworld is more cost effective). Anyway she says we can waitlist on the new longboats obligation free.

OK do it. So I send her the names and date of birth. I get an Email 2 days later saying pay $500 deposit each in 2 days time and the balance ($11,000) in 2 weeks.

***!!!

Opinions on what to do invited. Surely the whole ship isn't booked up a year ahead. It's a May cruise Amsterdam to Basel.

Unless you are getting a discount for early payment, find a new agent/cruise operator. There are many cruise companies that do this itinerary, Viking, Uniworld, Grand Circle, AMA Waterways, Vantage and I'm sure others. You have plenty of time to do your homework. First check their itineraries to what suits you best. They will all be similar, but some may have additional ports of call and/or more time in port. Some may also have more included tours. Others may have extra cost optional tours. Then see which tours interest you. You can then determine which cruise or cruises suits you the best. In my opinion, nothing is more important than itinerary. Now you can look at price and amenities, including airfare in the price analysis. We have only taken Grand Circle, so, if you have any questions about their cruises, we can attempt to answer them, but we have no direct knowledge of the others.

sayaguru -

We paid in full almost a year out for our upcoming cruise in Russia (Uniworld) - but only because the "pay-in-full" cost was significantly lower (ie: over $500 pp). Our choice...

If you aren't getting a significant benefit by paying everything in advance, I would be questioning this request.

I find full payment in May 2012 for a cruise in March 2013 a bit much as well... There are a number of companies who would be looking to have your patronage. Unless you are really set on this date with this company, I would be continuing to look.

Just my 2 cents worth here...

Fran

I would not pay in full a year in advance

If you decide to go for it then be sure to get cancellation insurance to cover any reason

We paid a deposit in Jan 2011 for June 2012 cruise & the balance in March 2012

On ocean cruises we have paid a deposit up to 18mths prior to the cruise

I would shop around

There are good deals out there

I would never pay for a cruise or trip that far in advance.

Hi 4774Papa... Would you mind sending me an email so I can reply & ask you a question related to this? My address is LynnObie at mail dot com. Thanks in advance.:)

LHT28 -

I don't book anything travel related without insurance... And always know the cancellation policies. Have heard too many horror stories.

Fran

If it is refundable or not prepaid I do not get the insurance right away but anything else I get insurance at the time of booking

But you also have to make sure you will be covered if you cancel for any reason not just medical reasons

Lyn

Started researching for next May and sent an Email to the travel agent. She came back with as Viking cruise (we went Uniworld last time but she says Uniworld is more cost effective). Anyway she says we can waitlist on the new longboats obligation free.

OK do it. So I send her the names and date of birth. I get an Email 2 days later saying pay $500 deposit each in 2 days time and the balance ($11,000) in 2 weeks.

***!!!

Opinions on what to do invited. Surely the whole ship isn't booked up a year ahead. It's a May cruise Amsterdam to Basel.

We are booked on Amsterdam to Basel with Avalon in September and got 2.50% extra to pay one month early ie: 4 month's ahead instead of three months. I think I would look for another agent, it sounds fishy to me.:confused:

I have booked a cruise May 2013 from Uniworld and in order to get the discount of $600.00 (for two).. We had to pay in full.. We also were given another promotion of $250.00.. I was hesitant at first but I also took the travel insurance immediately. My understanding is if you want the the big discounts you would have to pay in full at time of booking.. If we cancel there is a $400 penalty.:confused:

I have booked a cruise May 2013 from Uniworld and in order to get the discount of $600.00 (for two).. We had to pay in full.. We also were given another promotion of $250.00.. I was hesitant at first but I also took the travel insurance immediately. My understanding is if you want the the big discounts you would have to pay in full at time of booking.. If we cancel there is a $400 penalty.:confused:

Thanks everyone.

The due date was today so not done.

The discount would have to be a LOT better than $600 for me to pay that kind of money. If I left it in the bank for a year that's over $300 so not such a big saving.

The agent is not dodgy. I've used them a a few times. Waiting for a reply about my query as to why the request for payment so early. They do have cancellation options.

Cancellation:

$100 usd per person, with the balance refunded.

121 days prior to the sail date, then it's 100% non refundable.

Will wait for reply to my Email and go from there.

Our main criteria is that it leaves in May (before the 10th) and is less than 10 days. We wanted to do Treasures of Prague, main and rhine but it's not on next year. We were supposed to do that last year but it was cancelled.We did the Danube instead.

Not fussy about company. Agent suggested Viking. It seemed like a good price. Just all happened too quick.

Oh well. We'll see what happens.

Thanks again. I find the river cruises very confusing. Especially as most of you guys are from the US and we (Aussies) don't get the same websites (or deals) as you.

Is there a way to message people on this forum?

We are booked on Amsterdam to Basel with Avalon in September and got 2.50% extra to pay one month early ie: 4 month's ahead instead of three months. I think I would look for another agent, it sounds fishy to me.:confused:

Hi, seeing you are an Aussie, can I ask you about how you found price comparisons? I haven't looked at Avalon. Love to hear your opinions.

If you could Email me that would be great. Can't finmd a private messgae thing on here.

baliaddict @ hotmail dot com

thanks,

Lynne

Thanks everyone.

The due date was today so not done.

The discount would have to be a LOT better than $600 for me to pay that kind of money. If I left it in the bank for a year that's over $300 so not such a big saving.

Have you looked at scenic tours ...they are an Australian company

In Canada they were offering 2012 rates for 2013 & no full payment in advance

We got $1000pp to pay 18m in advance from Uniworld. When I did the math it was a no-brainer using today's interest rates. The cancellation penalties were no different so we made 7.5% on our money. I like that roi.

I booked when the prices came out as the lower cabins sell out quick on Viking. If I waited I would have to book a balcony or higher and I don't go to spend time in the cabin.

I get an annual travel insurance policy so I can travel anytime.

***!!!

I came up with the same issue with Viking for a 2013 Elbe river cruise and this was directly with Viking and not through a travel agent, so it is not the agent's issue. We have cruised with Gate 1, Uniworld and Avalon and have never had to pay for a cruise that far in advance. They wanted the down payment the first of this month and the entire balance by the end of the month. So - we decided to put it on hold to see if anything changed later in the year. This would have been 20 months out since we were looking at October, 2013!

Over the past two sailing seasons I've noticed a trend in some cruise organizations offering sliding discounts to people who pay upfront using e-check. Some start at 10% 12 months out and decrease as time goes by, 7% for 9 mths etc.

I have also noticed that as cruises sell out if any cabins that come back for sale due to cancellations sometimes are priced higher then original price of the cabin.

We are 4 weeks from Viking's Footsteps cruise after paying last year.

What convinced us to prepay all that long ago was

1. We've traveled with Viking before,

2. apparently cruise was virtually sold out, and

3. their airfare was much less than I could get.

If you could get what you want without prepaying I would. My guess is this prepayment prevents booking and then cancelling later, you are making a commitment.

Sorry Folks, Imo the key is to do the math. Current interest rates on cash are less than .025% annualized. If by paying in advance you can increase your roi do it. In addition to my comment, if you want to get even more sophisticated look at the time value of paying in advance-it's still a no brainer. When interest rates return to the old days; ie; 5% on savings accounts then let's talk again:D

I came up with the same issue with Viking for a 2013 Elbe river cruise and this was directly with Viking and not through a travel agent, so it is not the agent's issue. We have cruised with Gate 1, Uniworld and Avalon and have never had to pay for a cruise that far in advance. They wanted the down payment the first of this month and the entire balance by the end of the month. So - we decided to put it on hold to see if anything changed later in the year. This would have been 20 months out since we were looking at October, 2013!

Booked our May 2012 trip directly w Viking in June 2011, only required deposit until Dec 2011, when we payed the balance. Not sure why you were told to pay in full, unless they have changed policy

The poor roi for our money in the bank was the reason we went with a pay-in-full up front. I would do it again... Again - wouldn't pay up front if there wasn't something in it for me.

I purchase a travel policy yearly - and then only have to bump it up if/when I am doing a "big" trip. This way I can do a number of small trips and never worry about having to purchase insurance for a few days out of the country.

This works for us - may not be the way others wish to travel.

Fran

Archived