Barcelona Pre-Cruise Plan - Feedback?

pseudoware

Only one night in Barcelona, but I'm just wondering if this sounds OK.

We (my wife & 2 sons, 12 and 10) arrive in Barcelona @ 7:20 PM the evening before our ship leaves. We'll take a cab to Hotel Gaudi, just off La Rambla. We'll likely walk around some after checking in. Is this area OK at night, and should the kids be indoors after a certain time?

The next day we plan to walk (with luggage on rollers) down La Rambla to the Columbus statue to catch the blue bus shuttle that will take us to our ship. According to google maps, this is ~700 meters, < 10 minute walk.

Does this sound do-able? Safe? Or should we just take a cab to the ship? We'll each have one luggage and maybe a carry-on/backpack. We might stop somewhere along the way to grab a bite, like a take out place. We figured this would be an opportunity to take in the city during our short time there. I didn't really want to stay in an outlying area or near the airport. Thanks for any feedback.

Only one night in Barcelona, but I'm just wondering if this sounds OK.

We (my wife & 2 sons, 12 and 10) arrive in Barcelona @ 7:20 PM the evening before our ship leaves. We'll take a cab to Hotel Gaudi, just off La Rambla. We'll likely walk around some after checking in. Is this area OK at night, and should the kids be indoors after a certain time?

The next day we plan to walk (with luggage on rollers) down La Rambla to the Columbus statue to catch the blue bus shuttle that will take us to our ship. According to google maps, this is ~700 meters, < 10 minute walk.

Does this sound do-able? Safe? Or should we just take a cab to the ship? We'll each have one luggage and maybe a carry-on/backpack. We might stop somewhere along the way to grab a bite, like a take out place. We figured this would be an opportunity to take in the city during our short time there. I didn't really want to stay in an outlying area or near the airport. Thanks for any feedback.

If you do that, you can almost walk to the ship. The cruise terminal is very close to the Columbus statue.

You can roll your luggage down Las Ramblas, but you will be a huge target for pickpockets. If you do this, make sure you have secured your wallet, passport, purses, etc.

That street does have a fair number of people using it, especially around the market area.

A cab will not be very expensive, you might be better of doing so.

You will not get to see the city by walking on Las Ramblas. At night it is party central,especially the lower end where you are staying! Folks stay up quite late in Barcelona and depending on the day of the week , may be up until dawn. Watch your belongings carefully and do not take all your money/credit cards out with you while strolling around!!

It is too bad you have not allowed any time to see the city because it is a great place to visit!

We like to wake up very early on ship day and try to see the town for 4or 5 hours before checkout then go to the ship .P.S. You can see the ship from the Columbus statue but it is a pretty long walk for most people (with bags) so catch the bus

You can roll your luggage down Las Ramblas, but you will be a huge target for pickpockets. If you do this, make sure you have secured your wallet, passport, purses, etc.

Agreed. Spent several wonderful days in Barcelona pre- and post-cruise. Sorry but I would not walk this distance with my precious family. Trying to watch out for them, keep them together, hoping the luggage wheels don't break, watching for pickpockets, etc. etc. just sounds like it's all too much. It's not that far, but I would certainly take a cab. Go to the street and catch one; they are usually parked and waiting in busy areas. If your hotel calls one for you, you will be charged the travel time he takes to get to you.

Sorry but I disagree..walking down La Rambla that "early" in the morning ..you will be fine and enjoy the walk before all the foot traffic and no need to be so paranoid as to miss out on walking the La Rambla..Saw many doing this with rolling luggage this past August ..Do take the bus to get to your ship..especially if it is docked on the other side of the bridge..crossing that bridge can be a longer walk than it looks..Enjoy what little time you will have to see Barcelona by walking rather than from a taxi...

I agree, having made the walk from where the ship docks into town, it is a lot longer than it looks. I'm not sure from experience, but it wouldn't cost much more to just get a taxi to the ship than using the shuttle, would it? The shuttle is a few euros per person if I remember correctly, and a taxi couldn't charge that much for such a short trip. Might be worth it to just do it that way.

If you're there on a night when you could go see the Magic Fountain, it's pretty impressive. We felt very safe walking around at night. I'd agree with the idea of walking around for a while in the morning before going to the ship, Barcelona is a wonderful city. Go see Sagrada Familia (even just from the outside), enjoy the interesting architecture, and maybe grab a bite to eat, then go check out from your hotel and head to the ship.

The cruise terminal at Moll Adossat, where the biggest cruise ships berth, is really quite a long hike from the monument. I'd encourage you to install Google Earth and explore a bit to get a bette idea of the lay of things.

it could be close, it could be a few km. the dock at Barcelona has a number of passenger piers, and you really don't know which one you'll be on. The blue port shuttle bus for a couple of Euro is easy and drops you at the checkin for your boat.

Walking down La Rambla is fine as long as you're not an idiot. For added security, ziptie close (or lock) your suit cases.

I think a family with children - everyone handling luggage and backpacks - and not really sure of your surroundings - sets you up as target for possible theft. Why risk it? A cab for the 4 of you will not cost that much since you are staying close to the port.

I think a family with children - everyone handling luggage and backpacks - and not really sure of your surroundings - sets you up as target for possible theft. Why risk it? A cab for the 4 of you will not cost that much since you are staying close to the port.

Yes, I said pretty much the same thing above. The family unit is certainly worth more than trying to save a few Euros, IMO. :)

3 years ago we had no problems walking Las Rambla. My boys at the time were 12, 14 and my daughter was 7. We had 3 generatios from 7 to 80 and did fine both at night and in the morning.

I had my camera backpack with computer and $3,000+ of gear as our hotel room wasn't ready so we left our luggage and did the afternoon walk.

I agree with others that morning you'll be fine, and evening it will be hopping. Be smart as you should in any crowded tourist place on watch for opportunistic theifs.

My kids did get a big kick seeing all bunch of illegal guys selling there counterfeit wears than seconds later running down the street getting chased by the cops :D

If your plans aren't finalized I really say consider thinking about finding a way to find another day to explore Barcelona, there is so much to see there and one evening is just not enough.

Oh, I agree with others spend the 30 or so euros for a cab, don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Yes you can walk, but far more convenient to use a cab.

1845404427_4860_BarcelonaLaPedrera.jpg.59cef8cb2a865068866b2b003bf47831.jpg

444389043_4780_BarcelonaLaSagrada.jpg.322aa4b1ac7774a6de563f17bca79b9f.jpg

1663123844_4750_BarcelonaLasRamblas.jpg.05cb481712b1ff96327f76a226116b23.jpg

294273250_4720_BarcelonaLasRamblas.jpg.291eaca71219489106800a438fa76518.jpg

I think some are misunderstanding that you will be walking down the La Rambla in the "EARLY" morning to Columbus Square when there will be very few as opposed to later in the day or in the evening....Again..don't miss this opportunity..the walk is really a short one and will not be a gauntlet of thieves & pickpockets...ENJOY the walk...If you change your mind there are taxi's all along the street...;)

You might consider getting up early and doing a little sightseeing before you head to your ship. Your hotel will very likely be willing to store your bags for several hours while you do this. I leave my bags before/after checkout with hotels in Europe all the time. I'm guessing your ship doesn't sail until 4pm or so. You could easily sightsee until Noon or a little later even and then taxi from your hotel to the ship. You'd have time to go see Sagrada Familia or Parc Guell or walk around the Cathedral Area. Pick something. You may want to take a taxi to/from one of these to maximize your time, but it's very doable and still leaves you time to get to your ship.

I think some are misunderstanding...

As strongly as you feel this is a wise idea, there are those of us who feel otherwise. We'll agree to disagree on this issue, and in fact OP had already replied to that effect in post #4. I wouldn't do it. You would. Not much else to say. :)

As strongly as you feel this is a wise idea, there are those of us who feel otherwise. We'll agree to disagree on this issue, and in fact OP had already replied to that effect in post #4. I wouldn't do it. You would. Not much else to say. :)

Yes...A difference of opinions and personal experiences is what this board is all about..Thus giving options those can base their decisions on...Good idea for the OP to make his decision once they get there and see it for themselves...I know from what I had read on these boards before going to Barcelona the La Rambla terrified me...Not so when I arrived and walked the walk...Advising people to be safe and aware at all times of their surroundings is advice that should be practiced even in your own home town..But preaching absolute "Paranoia" as some tend to do may not be for the best...Safe and happy travels to you and your family wherever that may be...:)

Thanks for the helpful replies. The decision to walk to the Columbus Statue will come down to my wife's comfort level. If she's not comfortable, none of us will be. :)

We definitely plan on doing some sightseeing in the morning before actually checking out of our hotel and heading off for the ship. I just hope no one decides they just want to veg out because their body clock and sleep schedule is too messed up (we will have traveled almost 20 hours prior to our arrival in Barcelona).

It's our nature to be ultra anal when it comes to our safety and the security of our belongings. Unless the threat of a strong-arm robbery in broad daylight on La Rambla is real (I don't get the imrpession that it is), I'm confident we can minimize the risk of being victims of a "stealth" crime during the course of a ten minute walk by taking all necessary precautions. If we do walk, I will make sure it will take an act involving sheer force to separate us (me) from our most important and valuable items. In fact, I'll do this whether we walk or take a cab, and this will be SOP throughout our trip.

Thanks for the helpful replies. The decision to walk to the Columbus Statue will come down to my wife's comfort level. If she's not comfortable, none of us will be. :)

We definitely plan on doing some sightseeing in the morning before actually checking out of our hotel and heading off for the ship. I just hope no one decides they just want to veg out because their body clock and sleep schedule is too messed up (we will have traveled almost 20 hours prior to our arrival in Barcelona).

It's our nature to be ultra anal when it comes to our safety and the security of our belongings. Unless the threat of a strong-arm robbery in broad daylight on La Rambla is real (I don't get the imrpession that it is), I'm confident we can minimize the risk of being victims of a "stealth" crime during the course of a ten minute walk by taking all necessary precautions. If we do walk, I will make sure it will take an act involving sheer force to separate us (me) from our most important and valuable items. In fact, I'll do this whether we walk or take a cab, and this will be SOP throughout our trip.

Enjoy a wonderful trip and the memories it will give your family...Be sure to let us know how it went....Happy travels !!

We went to Las Ramblas while in Barcelona, I too had heard all the warnings and decided I could be careful with my purse...the Concierge at our hotel, almost pitched a fit...especially when he heard I had my US passports...so much so that I decided to return my purse to the room and lock the wallet and passports in the safe...From what we were told...it is gangs of people, they swipe and pass it on back to the next one...and its gone. I wouldn't risk it especially at the beginning of a trip...If you could make the walk without the valuables...I'd say go for it!!

So what was your experience, not so much what everyone else told you?

Just curious...

We went to Las Ramblas while in Barcelona, I too had heard all the warnings and decided I could be careful with my purse...the Concierge at our hotel, almost pitched a fit...especially when he heard I had my US passports...so much so that I decided to return my purse to the room and lock the wallet and passports in the safe...From what we were told...it is gangs of people, they swipe and pass it on back to the next one...and its gone. I wouldn't risk it especially at the beginning of a trip...If you could make the walk without the valuables...I'd say go for it!!

Archived