Spirit 9/22 - Looking for others who left the ship

caravellov

My wife and I left the Spirit as a result of the "threat to the Ship" and the lack of any additional information being provided. I am looking for others who also left to see why you left and if you plan to seek a refund or credit.

I know there are many people who stayed on board and had a good time. There are also many who were not on the cruise but have provided their opinions on what we should have done and what NCL should do. This thread is not meant to rehash those subjects. I am just looking to see if others felt the way my wife and I did.

Thanks

I wasnt on the ship but I certainly would have made the same choice as you.

I think leaving the ship is your right since safety was threatened, IMO,

I think NCL should give a refund.

My wife and I left the Spirit as a result of the "threat to the Ship" and the lack of any additional information being provided. I am looking for others who also left to see why you left and if you plan to seek a refund or credit.

I know there are many people who stayed on board and had a good time. There are also many who were not on the cruise but have provided their opinions on what we should have done and what NCL should do. This thread is not meant to rehash those subjects. I am just looking to see if others felt the way my wife and I did.

Thanks

We were on the ship w/ a group of 7 ... 3 of us left ... 4 stayed on. If you call NCL, they will tell you that nothing is being provided to those who disembarked. However, you may still write a letter and fax to 305-436-4108 (Attn: Customer Relations Dept). If you feel so inclined ... you should do so, but you could also contact your TA and see if they can help you as well.

I wasnt on the ship but I certainly would have made the same choice as you.

I think leaving the ship is your right since safety was threatened, IMO,

I think NCL should give a refund.

Not NCL's fault. Why should they bear the cost because someone phoned in a phony bomb threat? You certainly have the right to leave, and that choice is personal, but there is no way, IMO, that you should have the right to a refund. You paid for a service which NCL provided. And they did indeed provide said service. Should you be out the money? Maybe not, but neither should NCL.

Did you take out any trip insurance for your cruise from an outside insurance agency (something other than insurance through NCL)? If so, you might be able to get some compensation from the insurance company (depending on how the policy was worded).

Debjo

so what exactly happened im wondering ? the ship was threatened and then you were told you have a choice to get off ?

how far into the cruise was it ? and how long of a cruise were you on ?

im just wondering ...

gosh im glad everything was ok

melissa

so what exactly happened im wondering ? the ship was threatened and then you were told you have a choice to get off ?

how far into the cruise was it ? and how long of a cruise were you on ?

im just wondering ...

gosh im glad everything was ok

melissa

CTN..ship had not left port. A ONE nighter.

The way I look at it is this... If there was a call or "threat" of a bomb, then there was no bomb. I don't remember any group or person who has ever "bombed" something to call ahead and warn people there was a bomb.. I always look at it that way. If there is a call warning of a bomb, then there is no bomb.. I would have stayed on.

We stayed on as did almost everyone else. We were told 100+ left the ship.

1 announcement was made that we were "under threat" and 3 more stated that the investigation was finished and that it was a false threat. People were given an option to leave if they wanted and there was plenty of time to do so.

Each of us had to make the decision that was right for us.

I stayed on with my two daughters ... not given the choice. We were outdoors where no announcements were heard due to the loud music. We dined at the Japanese restaurant (Tempanayki ... sp?) and were not privy to any announcements there either. We got up several times during our meal to go in the lobby to find out what was going on. It wasn't until we saw the police cars and squads until we realized that something was wrong. I wasn't aware of how stressed I was until I woke up the next morning (didn't sleep all night thinking something might happen) with a severe migraine (no I did not drink). As for any sort of compensation ... mixed feelings. I did experience a "normal" delay once on a major airline ... two hours ... and each passenger was given a nominal credit for "inconvenience" to be applied to a future flight.

Every one had to make the decision that was right for them. To those of you who stayed on, I'm glad you had a good time. Our friends also stayed on. We decided to get off since we had two children who stayed home and we knew they would be nervous if we stayed. They did see it on the news and were glad we got off. My other concer was that announcements were not being made throughout the entire ship. BARB said she heard 3 more announcements. We were in Cagney's and did not hear any. Were they making announcements to only select locations or did they have a problem with the PA system? Noone could give me an answer as to why we did not get any announcements in Cagney's. This left me with an uneasy feeling. Like I said, everyone had to make the decision that was right for them. But that decision could only be made by the passengers who were on the ship at that time. It's easy to state what you would do while sitting in front of a computer screen.

why didn't you just wait in the pier until the 'all clear' was given then gotten back on?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere that although, passengers were allowed to debark the ship, they were also told that they would NOT be allowed back onto the ship if they chose to do so. :confused:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere that although, passengers were allowed to debark the ship, they were also told that they would NOT be allowed back onto the ship if they chose to do so. :confused:

You are correct. It was leave or stay, no other choice.

Every one had to make the decision that was right for them. To those of you who stayed on, I'm glad you had a good time. Our friends also stayed on. We decided to get off since we had two children who stayed home and we knew they would be nervous if we stayed. They did see it on the news and were glad we got off. My other concer was that announcements were not being made throughout the entire ship. BARB said she heard 3 more announcements. We were in Cagney's and did not hear any. Were they making announcements to only select locations or did they have a problem with the PA system? Noone could give me an answer as to why we did not get any announcements in Cagney's. This left me with an uneasy feeling. Like I said, everyone had to make the decision that was right for them. But that decision could only be made by the passengers who were on the ship at that time. It's easy to state what you would do while sitting in front of a computer screen.

Vinny I am sorry that this bomb scare happened on your cruise. I am going this Saturday and looking forward to it as my son is going to surprise his girlfriend with an engagement ring. Hopefully, we have a smooth sail.

I myself might have gotten off but my DH said He would have stayed. He can talk since he was not there.LoL... I do not blame you for your decision to leave as everyone has to make that their personal choice. It would not hurt NCL to compensate a little, but I very much doubt they will give a full refund. Let me know if you hear from NCL.

Janet:eek:

Originally Posted by smeyer418 viewpost.gif

I would expect nothing back but I also not sure I would have remained. Given what has happened in the past, I probably would have gotten off until they cleared it and then got back on. posted 9/23

when I first posted this a number of days ago, I assumed that the offer to leave was made before the ship was cleared by the powers that are. It now appears that the offer was made after the ship had been cleared so in essence it was all shore that are going ashore, made after the ship was cleared. I would have stayed on at that point, and if I voluntarily decided to get off at that point, I would expect nothing back, I might hope for it, but not expect it.

I actually don't understand the point of this thread. If I decided to get off why would I be looking for others who decided to leave to unless what I really want is my money back....

I IT WASN'T AN ISSUE OF MONEY OR WHAT WILL NCL DO FOR ME. It was what was in the best interest of my family.

it either is or isn't

Thanks

From your posting last weekend I was under the understanding you intended on seeking a refund on Monday, what happened? You know, maybe it would be nice if NCL gave you a small OBC for another sailing, and yes, I am sure you were confused and not very happy, but 2 thinks to remember: had the word "bomb" been used think of the panic it clould have caused and 2-you left volunteerily. I can't understand how you could expect a refund. This is just my opinion. I am not judging your decision to leave, I wasn't there and don't know what I would have done (I probably would have stayed on board) but I don't think a refund would have entered my mind.

Sid, I think I see 2 reasons for the thread: 1-to see if he can get support for taking futher action and 2-to stir the stew up one more time. This was discussed as we all know in detail early in the week.

Nita

Janet - An early congratulations to your son. I know you will have a great time.

smeyer - The origninal purpose of this thread was to find out why others made the decision to leave. Did they have the same concerns as I did? When I originally left I didn't care about losing $400. But, for reasons posted elsewhere NCL did not handle the situation well and left no other choice for me and my wife but to get off the ship. Tne more I think about it, I believe they should provide some type of refund to everyone who left.

Janet - An early congratulations to your son. I know you will have a great time.

smeyer - The origninal purpose of this thread was to find out why others made the decision to leave. Did they have the same concerns as I did? When I originally left I didn't care about losing $400. But, for reasons posted elsewhere NCL did not handle the situation well and left no other choice for me and my wife but to get off the ship. Tne more I think about it, I believe they should provide some type of refund to everyone who left.

and I of course don't. If it was my decision I might allow a small credit as a goodwill gesture but most of the time that gesture is ignored anyway. Good luck...

I agree, as a goodwill gesture it would of been nice for NCL to provide a small OBC for everyone's inconvenience, even though it wasn't NCL's fault. Did you hear the announcement which was made that it was a false threat? If NCL made it clear there was not any threat, I don't think that a refund should be provided to people that still made the decision to get off. However, like everyone else offering their opinion, I wasn't there......

Kim.

I wonder how this one will turn out? And wouldn't you know, I will be on a ship (leaving Friday morning for Los Angeles) so I probably won't get to see what happens. By the time I get back this will be a lost subject and something elso will replace it. LOL

I'll let you know.....btw I hear NCL uses the same announcer as penn station

train leaving on track scratch hiss ....ve for new scratch hiss and points east......

BTW I believe all the captain's announcements are recorded....

Archived