Anti nausea recommendations?

SnowToWater

My wife and I are going to be taking our first cruise this year, (Caribbean, yay!). The last time we were on a boat doing some snorkeling in Hawaii she became pretty ill. She wasn't quite at the throw-up phase on the boat...that happened on red eye flight later that night...anyway. I'm hoping to get some anti-nausea recommendations for when we go on our first cruise. I've done some research and found a few things I was hoping to get some feedback on.

How well do bands like this one work --

http://www.aeromedix.com/reliefband-with-replaceable-battery/

or http://www.sea-band.com/

Is there anything over the counter that is good?

Thanks for all the feedback! I appreciate any recommendations.

JMHO...but I don't think the Sea Bands really work...but each person has their own experience.

You might consider taking some Bonine (chewable form) with you. The ship will also provide small packets of Meclizine if you ask/need. Also many have used ginger capsules with success.

If you're very concerned you might want to talk with your healthcare provider before your cruise.

I swear by OTC Dramamine & the SeaBands. I sleep with the bands.

Talking to a doctor is a good idea but the prescription meds are very strong. Even with the OTC stuff, if you take too much, the meds themselves will make you sick.

Just call your doc and they can likely prescribe an anti nausea med if Bonine, etc doesn't prevent it in the first place/ Also, green apple, plain crackers, ginger ale are good to try as nausea sets in. Stay out in fresh air if you can.

As a retired RN, if it were me, the first thing to try would be ginger capsules .... a non-"drug" treatment that works well for many. OF COURSE, before doing so your wife really needs t check with her physician to be sure ginger will not clash with any of her prescription medications.

It's unlikely that there would be any side effects from ginger, vs OTC anti-nausea meds that can cause drowsiness, among other side effects, and often include a caution against taking it and drinking alcohol .... or prescription "patches" to wear that have quite a few potential side effects, some of which are pretty unpleasant and sometimes bad enough to require removal of the patch.

As a retired RN, if it were me, the first thing to try would be ginger capsules .... a non-"drug" treatment that works well for many. OF COURSE, before doing so your wife really needs t check with her physician to be sure ginger will not clash with any of her prescription medications.

It's unlikely that there would be any side effects from ginger, vs OTC anti-nausea meds that can cause drowsiness, among other side effects, and often include a caution against taking it and drinking alcohol .... or prescription "patches" to wear that have quite a few potential side effects, some of which are pretty unpleasant and sometimes bad enough to require removal of the patch.

I'm surprised that this post did not include any warning about using ginger if you take anti-coagulants, certain blood pressure meds and anti-diabetics. Ginger as a "medication" has not been well studied for its effectiveness preventing sea sickness. Ginger is not as benign as some would have you believe. Since it is sold as a food/dietary supplement, medical claims do not have to be backed up by research scrutinized and approved by the FDA.

Edited by CPT Trips

With the agreement of my doctor I take OTC Bonine and I also carry prescription TransDerm Scops - but I have only needed them in high seas - such as the Bay of Biscay or going up to Alaska.

One further tip, should your wife experience seasickness, have her lie down and take an ice cold can or bottle or a bag of ice and place it directly across the front of her neck. This will immediately calm the feeling of nausea and give her enough time to take whatever medication her doctor recommends and keep it down or get to the doctor. While she relaxes with the cold against the front of her neck, tell her to try to focus on her breathing and to breathe in and out slowly. This is a temporary action to take that works for many types of nausea with various causes and it is a good solution when you need to take someone for medical attention as it doesn't involve medication - so you are not guessing as to what medication might work, which could make things more complicated in an emergency room situation. In the case of seasickness, this will usually allow the person to take the medication and then relax long enough for the medication to start to work without throwing it up.

Being on the ship will not be like being on a snorkel boat....not by a long shot!

Bonine seems to be the favorite...Try it before you leave home, just to make sure it "agrees" with you and doesn't make you sleepy.

If all else fails, the ship's infirmary does have medication (usually at no charge) for sea sickness.

The last responder had the most cogent answer. A small boat that you use to go out snorkeling, and a cruise ship are not at all alike. Small boats bounce A LOT, while large cruise ships move in a much slower and less dramatic fashion. If your DW does not get motion sick in cars or airplanes, a cruise ship is not likely to be a big problem. Still there is some motion, and it can take from a few hours to a day to get your sea legs.

First some general tips. Seasickness is caused primarily by a conflict between the eyes and the inner ear. If you are inside the ship and cannot see the motion, you eyes are telling your brain that you are standing still, and your inner ear is screaming that you are moving! So stay somewhere where you are able to see the motion. Being out on deck is useful as the fresh air helps as well. Though it seems to be wrong, you want to eat normal meals at normal times. Don't overeat and don't eat a lot of greasy foods, but an empty stomach is not helpful.

As for remedies, and you should talk to your family physician as well, there are several.

Ginger is clinically proven to reduce nausea, and pills are available at drug stores, there is ginger candy, ginger ale (the real stuff), and ginger snaps. This does not need to be taken far in advance, and will help at all times.

Some people swear by seabands, others swear at them. They work for some people and don't do anything for others.

The OTC medications, bonine, dramamine, etc., work well for most people but should be started before you board the ship.

Then there is the "patch." While many people turn to the scopolamine patch as a first resort because it is the "in" thing, this is really a last resort, when other remedies have been tried without success. The drug has some minor side effects -- dry mouth, etc., -- and also has some really nasty side effects -- hallucinations, etc. If you do get a prescription for the patch, get an extra prescription, and try it on dry land first to see how you tolerate it.

Lastly, don't overthink the issue. You can really talk yourself into being seasick. As I noted before, the motion, while there, is much less abrupt than on a small boat, and everyone gets their sea legs reasonably quickly. A small boat gets tossed all over, while a large ship is affected totally differently. Twenty million people would not cruise every year if seasickness was a big issue. Most likely, your DW will be fine just doing the common sense items from the second paragraph above.

I really like Bonine. It is a small chewable tablet. I would suggest taking one before sail away. Sometimes you can make yourself sick just worrying about it. I always give one to my son that first day and usually find that he doesn't need another one during the trip unless the sea is really rough. It is always good to be prepared.

Everyone has their own remedies that work for them, but might not for the next person.

If you're on any medications or have a medical condition, it's a good idea to ask your doctor for his or her recommendations. Just to make sure you're not going to interfere with any prescriptions.

But if this doesn't apply to you, try a few different remedies ahead of time on land and see what doesn't give you side effects. Then take along a few of these on your cruise.

Many pills tend to make me drowsy, even when supposedly not a sedative type. I do bring along various kinds of ginger (candied, chews, Altoids) that are easily found in many groceries (also check Cost Plus World Markets). But as pointed out above, don't take if you're on a blood thinner.

My mother, who gets motion sickness at a turn of a key, got the patch for her one cruise and said it really helped her. Other people use it successfully, others get side effects. A few cruises ago, I noticed one of my tablemates, whose been on cruises before, was wearing a seaband bracelet so obviously that helped her.