Exchanging a large bill for smaller ones at the Passenger Service Desk

JudithLynne

Can one exchange a large bill for smaller ones of the same currency at the PS desk? Is there a charge? We will be in a European port and will need 34€ for an add-on to a (non-ship) shore excursion. Exact change is requested. We will have Euros, but may need smaller denomination to make exact change. We will not have time to go to an ATM. I’m not even sure that an ATM will dispense lower denomination currency (?)

Thank you. The cruise line is Princess. Because we cruise other lines, I thought that this would be good information generally speaking.

This is done frequently. I want to say it's done "all the time", but someone will come up with the/an exception.

Edited by Treven

The onboard currency for Princess ships (except for the three permanently based in Australia) is the US Dollar, even when sailing in Europe. And when in Europe, they will have an ATM-style machine for converting Dollars to Euros on the ship rather than doing so at the Purser's desk. So there is no guarantee they will have small-denomination Euros available simply for breaking large ones.

Edited by fishywood

Are you ordering Euro from your bank? I do it on the phone, and always ask them for "as small as possible". They will not give you coins, but the smaller paper bill is 5 Euro, so the worst case scenario you will overpay by 1 Euro.

Can one exchange a large bill for smaller ones of the same currency at the PS desk? Is there a charge? We will be in a European port and will need 34€ for an add-on to a (non-ship) shore excursion. Exact change is requested. We will have Euros, but may need smaller denomination to make exact change. We will not have time to go to an ATM. I’m not even sure that an ATM will dispense lower denomination currency (?)

The desk will break large US dollars for smaller dollars but I don't think they will change larger Euro currency for smaller Euro currency.

Tried and true (so far). We get our currency from ATMS at the airport we arrive at. It really is the cheapest way to go. Also they are typically plentiful (though sometimes confusing). Most dispense in increments of somewhere around $20 US - BUT - you can get smaller change by entering an odd amount. E.g. 405 SEK etc... Great for tipping the cab driver or buying a rail pass. :)