transatlantic travel

Kaylak

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Visit the Ports of Call boards here for Europe. Join the ROLL CALL for your cruise, and find out what other CC members sailing with you are planning. they may have some excursions organized that you would like to join. EM

Lisbon is a great port.Try and book an excursion with your cruise line that includes a stop to Sintra, a glorious village in the mountains.

We did a full day tour that stopped in Cascais, Sintra (lunch included) then back to Lisbon for sightseeing. Portugal is famous for their pastries, don't miss them.

Rotterdam is a nice city. We took a short train ride out toa delightful town called Delft.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

We did those same ports 2 years back on the Royal. The Rotterdam overnight is a great opportunity to visit Amsterdam and not worry about getting back late. Rotterdam is also famous for the nearby windmills. Vigo is close to Santiago de Compostela which is famous as the end of European Christian pilgimages, as depicted in the movie "The Way" with Martin Sheen. Lisbon offers numerous tourist choices, including a trip to Fatima which is famous for "Our Lady of Fatima."

We are also on the 9/22 voyage and then the BTB doing the "Circle Caribbean Tour". Currently we exploring Vigo on our own. In Rotterdam we are waitlisted on a tour to Gouda one day have a booked tour to see the windmills. Lisbon we are doing Sintra and Cascais tour. Paris is the Normandy tour and finally, Azores will be Ribeira & Pineapple Greenhouse. Of course, all is subject to change with around 120 days to go before we sail.

When you are in rotterdam make sure you visit the hague.

long cruiser

The Hague is a large city and not "in" Rotterdam. It is not the capital of the Netherlands (that's Amsterdam), but it is the seat of the Dutch government, home to the Intl. Court of Justice and many other international institutions, where the king works, etc. It's accessible by train from Rotterdam and one could easily spend a day there. It's a lovely place to visit and has a wonderful art museum, Mauritshuis, which has many of the finest Dutch paintings by Vermeer, Rembrandt, etc.

I am also on the TA on Caribbean Princess that leaves 9/22 from Southampton. A little concerned about terrorist activity lately in London as my friend & I are coming a few days early to tour the city again. But will not let fear keep me home. I heard there may be a wine package since it is 15 days but when I asked Princess they said it is not listed. Could it still be offered when we board? Also for those that have taken this cruise before, will it be warm enough when crossing the Atlantic to sunbath?

I am also on the TA on Caribbean Princess that leaves 9/22 from Southampton. . . Also for those that have taken this cruise before, will it be warm enough when crossing the Atlantic to sunbath?

Not likely! We've done this cruise several times and I always pack mostly cold-weather clothing for the ports. And it'll be cool and windy while at sea so we've never spent much time on deck on sea days.

If you haven't already, join the Roll Call for this cruise. Your fellow pax will be planning excursions in the ports and onboard activities on sea days.

Enjoy!

I am also on the TA on Caribbean Princess that leaves 9/22 from Southampton. A little concerned about terrorist activity lately in London as my friend & I are coming a few days early to tour the city again. But will not let fear keep me home. I heard there may be a wine package since it is 15 days but when I asked Princess they said it is not listed. Could it still be offered when we board? Also for those that have taken this cruise before, will it be warm enough when crossing the Atlantic to sunbath?

The wine package should be available for purchase once you are on board. Basically, if "they" say it isn't offered, ask your head waiter, and if you still don't have a yes, keep going to the Ass't Maitre d' for the dining room, etc. We have been told no on 7 day cruises, but since we were doing b2b, etc., we persisted and got to "yes". Then, we had one waiter tell us it was only good on the "last" cruise, but we showed him our cruise card with the dates and portfolio number. Any problems, just keep going on up the ladder until it is sorted out.

Warm enough? Probably, depending upon what you consider to be warm enough.

Stay safe and aware........:)

We're on this cruise, too, along with the British Isles cruise on 9/10. We did this itinerary in 2015, and the seas on the crossing were like glass. The last 2 or 3 days were very warm, and people were out sunbathing and swimming. There's no way to know what the weather will be like from year to year. We'd be very happy if it was like the 2015 cruise. As another poster noted, we were glad to have warm clothes for the early ports of the cruise.