How strict is the dress code at the Vatican?

AnnetteSC

Last time I was there, it was a long time ago and don't remember details of people's attire.

I usually wear sundresses in summer so I'm not worried about knees exposure. I always bring a light scarf/shawl in my purse when visiting churches so shoulders would be covered.

The problem is my DD (almost 15). She prefers shorts and tshirts. Shoulders would be ok with tshirt but I'm worried about the shorts. They are not short-shorts but they do expose the knees.

Should we bring a wrap-around-skirt to cover her shorts?

Vatican is the strictest of them all, age of DD irrelevant. No shorts, not covering knees will be allowed. Shoulders must be fully covered so no vest tops, cap sleeves etc. Best way as is indicated here is a light wrap as a skirt over the shorts, and/or to cover the arms and shoulders.

Last year in Italy it was men being challenged by Churches dress code much more, many fell foul at Pisa cathedral. Women had alternatives to cover up . Baseball caps worn inside was the other area of challenge for some tourists.

We were there last summer. Your shoulders do need to be covered and I believe no shorts were allowed. They do have people selling scarves at the entrance for those who weren't aware of the dress code.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Been there last summer. Just hung around st Peter's square to soak up the atmosphere and people watch.

A very large group of school kids lined up to enter the dome .

The folks who check that people are appropriately dressed let all of the kids pass. But two male, shorts wearing teachers were told to cover up! ☺

We strictly adhered to the dress code for our visit as had been posted by others that it was strictly enforced.

Well it wasn't enforced when we visited during mid June there were lots of people, mainly young women and couples in very short shorts and vest tops and I didn't see anyone challenging them nor stopping them at the entrance.

;)

We strictly adhered to the dress code for our visit as had been posted by others that it was strictly enforced.

Well it wasn't enforced when we visited during mid June there were lots of people, mainly young women and couples in very short shorts and vest tops and I didn't see anyone challenging them nor stopping them at the entrance.

;)

At the entrance to the St. Peter's basilica? Or at the museum?

If at the basilica, it must have been an unusual event that took the usual 'spotters' away.

At any rate, I think it's very poor taste for people to enter without being appropriately dressed. As I've said before, the church is open to millions of visitors at NO charge and all that is requested is that visitors dress respectfully.

Here's a photo of the (quite visible) sign at the entry: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/91/74/1a/91741a20b5a282b60b232cf21ebbf9f3.jpg

Now would be a good time to teach your DD about dressing properly for the occasion... she won't be let it otherwise. I can confirm that they are very strict and that if she does manage to sneak by, she'll stick out like a sore thumb. This is a pilgrimage for some, not a tourist destination.

I think the lesson is about respect and following rules rather than about conforming to the sartorial expectations or norms of others.

At the core it's simply "their house, their rules" but I've never gotten away with the simple explanation with any of our kids :rolleyes:. Even the corollary "my dime, my rules" wasn't sufficient the first time I took our oldest, then 13, to Rome.

Ultimately it was one of many similar conversations over the years about the downstream impacts of seemingly unimportant rule bending. Now, more than a decade later, Uncle Sam gets to tell him what to wear. I love the irony of that one after years of trying to convince him not to wear shorts year round, even in the snow.

Now would be a good time to teach your DD about dressing properly for the occasion... she won't be let it otherwise. I can confirm that they are very strict and that if she does manage to sneak by, she'll stick out like a sore thumb. This is a pilgrimage for some, not a tourist destination.

The dilemma was more about being comfortable than an argument on respect for the Vatican. My DD has been in private Catholic school since she was five, She graduated last year from 8th grade (side note...she was valedictorian of her class-not that it matters here but just to show how serious she is) and her school dress code was strict. She's used to that and respects it.

The reason I asked is because we'll be on a 9 hour tour of Rome all day, in the summer. It would be nice to be able to wear comfortable clothes. Like I said in my original post, she does not like short dresses nor short-shorts (comes from her Catholic education) but she does like to be in a tshirt and just-above-the-knee shorts while trekking around.

I think we'll do capris that day. :)

Now, I assume the same applies in Pisa and Florence if one wants to visit the Basilica and Duomo, right?

The dilemma was more about being comfortable than an argument on respect for the Vatican. My DD has been in private Catholic school since she was five, She graduated last year from 8th grade (side note...she was valedictorian of her class-not that it matters here but just to show how serious she is) and her school dress code was strict. She's used to that and respects it.

The reason I asked is because we'll be on a 9 hour tour of Rome all day, in the summer. It would be nice to be able to wear comfortable clothes. Like I said in my original post, she does not like short dresses nor short-shorts (comes from her Catholic education) but she does like to be in a tshirt and just-above-the-knee shorts while trekking around.

Now, I assume the same applies in Pisa and Florence if one wants to visit the Basilica and Duomo, right?

Thanks for the diatribe :')

Sounds like you have it under control. Have a great trip!

Thanks for the diatribe :')

Sounds like you have it under control. Have a great trip!

Thanks and by no means that I want my reply to come across as a verbal attack. :) I appreciate all the very informative replies I get here. :hearteyes:

Comfortable doesn't necessarily mean less clothing. You are actually cooler wearing light clothing that covers your skin (longer skirts, loose pants, long sleeves) than having your skin exposed to the sun.

You'll be fine with what you have proposed (e.g., a wrap skirt). No need to get defensive. We just read a lot of posts here of folks trying to "get around" the dress code.

Have a great trip.

They are really strict, first time there I was 15, as you daughter and was wearing a polo t-shirt and nor very short shorts. Luckyly and misteriously I had a tank top on my bagthat I had to put on and cover my legs to my knees. If you feel that the dress code is going to be too much for summer, just take something in your bags to cover when they ask you to. My mom was in long pants and a not very oppened tshirt and they let her into vatican but not into ths chapels inside, she was wearing something like this but with short sleeves. (https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1uDIzJVXXXXXwXVXXq6xXFXXX4.jpg).

Agree with other posts - modest attire is strictly observed at the basilica. I have seen inappropriately dressed visitors slip through at other holy sites in Italy but not at the basilica in Rome.

I always respect the various dress codes when visiting places of worship and dress accordingly. However, on a recent visit to Temple Mount in Jerusalem, I was denied entry unless I paid the 25 shekels that the two Palestinian men demanded to rent their dirty scarves to cover my arms. This was clearly extortion as I was dressed appropriately - the shirt I wore covered my arms well past my elbows and I even was wearing a head scarf (which is not required). In any event, I paid because I wanted to visit. Sometimes, I must roll with the curve balls thrown.

They are really strict, first time there I was 15, as you daughter and was wearing a polo t-shirt and nor very short shorts. Luckyly and misteriously I had a tank top on my bagthat I had to put on and cover my legs to my knees. If you feel that the dress code is going to be too much for summer, just take something in your bags to cover when they ask you to. My mom was in long pants and a not very oppened tshirt and they let her into vatican but not into ths chapels inside, she was wearing something like this but with short sleeves. (https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1uDIzJVXXXXXwXVXXq6xXFXXX4.jpg).

Wow! I'm surprised she was not allowed into the chapel with long pants and short sleeves! :confused:

Like I said before, I prefer (conservative) sundresses in summer and always bring a silk shawl for shoulders. I may bring an extra one, JIC.

Agree with other posts - modest attire is strictly observed at the basilica. I have seen inappropriately dressed visitors slip through at other holy sites in Italy but not at the basilica in Rome.

I always respect the various dress codes when visiting places of worship and dress accordingly. However, on a recent visit to Temple Mount in Jerusalem, I was denied entry unless I paid the 25 shekels that the two Palestinian men demanded to rent their dirty scarves to cover my arms. This was clearly extortion as I was dressed appropriately - the shirt I wore covered my arms well past my elbows and I even was wearing a head scarf (which is not required). In any event, I paid because I wanted to visit. Sometimes, I must roll with the curve balls thrown.

Yes, absolutely! DH and I went on a Mediterranean cruise for our honeymoon (many moons ago! LOL) and went to the Blue Mosque in Istanbul. DH had cargo shorts (to the knee) and thought he was ok but he had to wear a wrap skirt over them in order to go in! :loudcry:

Just visited last Thursday morning. (Luckily the morning after trump visited or we would have missed it since on a cruise stop). My daughter also did not have any capris or long dresses or skirts to wear. HOwever, She has lots of very nice short sleeve dresses that come An inch or so above the knee. She brought a pair of my capris to put under the dress if needed, but did not need to. She was wearing a very pretty colorful cotton dress with nice sandals and looked nicer than many visitors including myself. Also, many men were able to wear nice khaki shorts 1-2 inches above the knee, but did not see any women able to do that.