Originally Posted by buchhalm
As you may know, in recent weeks a lot of media attention was directed towards some countries in Europe, where BEEF products that were sold in some supermarket chain's "ready meals" and frozen meals, were conteminated with parts of HORSE meat.
Now the scandal widens.
Tests have revealed that some sausages contain saw dust! DNA testing confirm that this comes from rocking horses.
Also, some fish fingers were tested positive for traces of seahorses.
Where will it all end!!??
It's not just in Europe.
Coffee companies in America are unable to come up with a safe way to remove cockroaches from coffee beans imported from South America. So they just roast the cockroaches along with the beans.
Ground roast coffee products in America contain an average 13% ground roast cockroach.
But they don't talk about it very much.
USDA and FDA in America govern food purity regulations and inspections.
At ice cream factories they take one cubic inch samples of the product, melt it, and examine it under microscopes.
If the sample contains more than 199 insect parts, it is deemed unsafe to eat, and destroyed.
If the sample has 199 or fewer insect parts, it is judged safe to eat!!!
The US Government says that any American wine claiming to be a varietal (Chardonnay for example), must contain 75% of whatever grape is on the label. But there is no regulation for determining what the other 25% must be. It can be water or apple juice - or just about anything else.