CaribbeanLuver

How do you choose your cruise?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. How do you choose your cruise?

• Ports of Call
    • Departure Port
    • Ship
    • Cruise Director

I live in Louisiana, so I cruise out of New Orleans as much as possible. But, options are limited fast. I can drive to Florida in 15-20 hours so that is another option. I look at those two options and then decide.

Once I do all the cruises out of these ports I will start taking regular vacas to central and south America.

Cruising to the Caribbean is cost effective, but not my one stop.

Well this time, it was mostly length of cruise...we needed a three day due to my husbands time off work. Then second was departure port to what was closest to us, since we drive.

But when length is not an issue, it is usually ports and the ship that matters.

We start with ports, and then price, including airfare. This year we also considered the length of flight ... transatlantic flights are just too long for us these days. Hard enough to have to travel half-way across the country in either direction! :eek:

Ports of call would be 1st and then departure port is important. We never consider the CD when selecting a cruise and though we have CCL ship class preferences, we'd probably go on any ship (but if we had it down to 2 or more choices, we'd pick any class over Conquest class).

The week we cruise is also important as we have a very limited time that we can all vacation (as a family)...August (until school starts), Christmas break, Easter/spring break and Thanksgiving break. If it's just DH and I...well that opens up all of Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb as well. My girls play travel softball and DH helps coach.

Ports of call would be 1st and then departure port is important. We never consider the CD when selecting a cruise and though we have CCL ship class preferences, we'd probably go on any ship (but if we had it down to 2 or more choices, we'd pick any class over Conquest class).

The week we cruise is also important as we have a very limited time that we can all vacation (as a family)...August (until school starts), Christmas break, Easter/spring break and Thanksgiving break. If it's just DH and I...well that opens up all of Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb as well. My girls play travel softball and DH helps coach.

Really you choose on CD:confused:

Den

For me it is a combination of factors to get that perfect cruise. (1) Price, naturally. I really wanted to go on the Breeze but the $1,500 difference made me chose the Liberty. (2) Departure Port. Live in Ft Myers and drive to either Ft Lauderdale or Miami. Cuts down on air fare costs. (3) Ports of call. I rather go on a cruise where I have not visited the ports before but that gets harder and harder to do as you cruise more (4) Ship. "Newer and bigger" is my motto. Age is certainly a factor although I will give Carnival credit for keeping up it's fleet. (5) Time of year. Certainly try to stay out of the Hurricane season and some holidays like Easter. (6) Length of cruise. Always try and do a 7 to 8 day cruise. (7) Entertainment. I love the Carnival shows but when you know what's coming all the time, it's time to switch. (8) CD. Why can't John Heald be on every ship?

No wonder it takes me awhile to pick that perfect cruise!

Archived