Is there a bad river cruise brand? Should I stay away from one company?

Bohemiana

I've gotten quite a bit of information about all the companies from various posts on this board but I really haven't heard much negative about any of the companies. I haven't decided on anything yet except it will be in Europe in October. My husband and I will be going with my mom (75 yrs old who is not much of a walker). We are leaning towards France but open to anything. Excellent food is very important to us!

Are there any companies that don't have a good reputation and should be avoided?

Edited by Bohemiana

You'll find that most of us on CC have our favorite brand (mine is Vantage) Other than a year or so ago when there were major problems with the rivers in Europe causing some cruises to turn into bus trips and some to be stuck in the same port for several days instead of the usual one, most of the posts you'll read here are more positive than negative. Look at all of them and pick out your itinerary FIRST then go back and read about what's included and what's extra, how big the cabins are, what the dining room is like...what it costs...and then you can decide which company is most likely to give you what you want. After you've gone on your first cruise, if you're satisfied with the company you chose you'll probably stick with them. I've done 6 cruises already and have 2 booked for this spring and summer. :D

Based on 2 river cruise we had done plus 100's of hours reading CC I believe most companies are good to very good if everything goes right, its is when they go wrong, such as high or low water, lock breakdowns or strikes, major floods etc. This is where there is a major difference in cruise lines.

This is also the reason we have used Avalon and from all the reading and also talking to their customers on board who had had previously been looked after extremely well by Avalon with total refunds and $1000 off next cruise. Also spoke to numerous people last year in various towns that were extremely upset with their cruise company due to boats being too high to get under bridges and being tied up on side of the river for 3 days ( this is one of the very large companies that also have problem in low water as their boats have a large draft) there is also legal action being taken by many Australians who were treated extremely poorly in 2013 during the major flooding.

Suggest you research this site for the very long threads on the flooding of 2013.

I am sure you will enjoy the cruise, we are hoping to book another one for 2016, once you have done one you will be back for more, just pick the right company.

After 11 river cruises, all seem to be good and you DO get what you pay for.

Only one I would steer clear of is Gate(travel company that rents ships).Did that 1 time, for price primarily.Regretted it.Do read all the member reviews,look at brochures,know ALL details,etc.Lots of info out there.Do research as to whats best for YOU. We re all different,with budgets,age,itinerary concerns.

Can always TRY 1 company,then another.Have been on ALL the major lines, now can afford and LOVE Scenic.But would also go on AMA again,etc.

We have sailed Europe on Uniworld and Viking... There is a difference.

The ships themselves were comfortable and crews were attentive. Uniworld more so than Viking. The Viking "Long Ships" are well designed. Uniworld's "SS" class are built on similar hulls and offer excellent amenities. Food on Viking was acceptable but service was slow. Better food and selection on Uniworld. It seemed we were offered more in-port off ship touring options with Uniworld. There was more personal interaction with the ships' officers and captains on Uniworld.

The real difference for us was the pre-cruise connection with their corporate offices. Viking kept us very poorly informed of events and changes, most of which were only discovered through CC. Viking wanted to charge us $500 each ABOVE airline website pricing to use "Viking Air" arrangements fort he same exact flights. We asked Viking to exchange one of the hotel overnights in Budapest (end of cruise) for an extra night in Bucharest (beginning of cruise) and the answer was "don't even ask - NO." Very confrontational. So we booked two additional nights at the same hotel in Bucharest and that caused some consternation with the Viking reps. Viking changed ships/boats on us at the last minute - we only found out via CC. Contacting Viking when we discovered the change, they "promised" to keep us informed. Zilch!

We are in the process of scheduling a China trip and a European Holiday Markets trip (will be our 4th markets) in 2016 and its Uniworld all the way.

Edited by Globehoppers

I haven't done a river cruise yet, but will do my first this fall, plus another one next fall. Have a look at payment policies. Viking demands payment up front, very soon after booking (although I've read there is wiggle room if you ask for it.) I just refuse to do that. I also have heard negatives from a friend about how Viking dealt with water level problems on the Danube, not good.

Look closely at the number of pax, size of cabins, size of tour groups, and tour inclusions--some lines have optional tours that add to the base cost, other lines include virtually everything.

And as someone said, you may have to take what's available at this point, for fall 2015. For fall 2016 we booked tentatively before the schedule actually came out, and confirmed our booking this month, i.e. 18 months in advance. For this fall, we had a little more latitude, since we're doing Egypt and I suspect demand is not very high yet for this destination.

BTW we booked Uniworld and Tauck.

Well, I'll tell you what I did. Having never been on a river cruise, I did some research, particularly on this site. I looked at the reviews of all the major river cruise lines. Here is what I found about the various lines -

UniWorld 87% Loved It (218 reviews)

Tauck 86% Loved It (23 reviews)

Scenic 85% Loved It (52 reviews)

Avalon 81% Loved It (138 reviews)

AMA 80% Loved It (229 reviews)

Viking 80% Loved It (1150 reviews)

From that point I then spent a considerable amount of time actually reading through the reviews. One thing I have learned from reading any reviews, travel or otherwise, is that there are some idiots posting reviews. For example, I am a regular on Trip Advisor. I have seen people give a hotel a 1 star rating (out of 5) because when they called for a room they were told the hotel was full. Good grief!

So I throw out the reviews from idiots. Then I focused on actual ships within a company's fleet. For instance Viking is low in the ranking as a cruise line, but some ships really drag them down, while other ships get stellar ratings.

So in the end I focused on UniWorld, Tauck and Scenic. Reading the individual ship reviews the highest ratings were for UniWorld SS Catherine and SS Antionette. Since the new (my wife loves new) to be launched SS Maria Theresa was on an itinerary we would love, that is the one we picked.

I really appreciate your comments! This will most-likely be my mom's one and only river cruise as her health is rapidly declining so I hope it's a good one for her. My husband and I are limited on dates so we will be picking based more on what's available and when, rather than itinerary. I think my mom will just be thrilled to be finally going on a river cruise so that place won't matter as much as the experience overall.

My mom has done several Grand Circle bus trips in Europe but I noticed their river trips spend several days on a bus and in hotels and only 5 or so nights on the boat. That's why I'm looking into a different company.

I'll focus on Uniworld, Vantage and Avalon. (I think Tauck is out of our price range.)

I'll focus on Uniworld, Vantage and Avalon. (I think Tauck is out of our price range.)

If you're considering that group, I would suggest you also look at AMA. They are very considerate of people with mobility issue (assuming that applies to your Mom) and always have a "slow walkers" group on every shore excursion.

I really appreciate your comments! This will most-likely be my mom's one and only river cruise as her health is rapidly declining so I hope it's a good one for her. My husband and I are limited on dates so we will be picking based more on what's available and when, rather than itinerary. I think my mom will just be thrilled to be finally going on a river cruise so that place won't matter as much as the experience overall.

My mom has done several Grand Circle bus trips in Europe but I noticed their river trips spend several days on a bus and in hotels and only 5 or so nights on the boat. That's why I'm looking into a different company.

You mentioned wanting to travel in October, but there's a thread about sale prices on Uniworld in the forum that offers great prices on two November dates for the European Jewels cruise. There are other cruises on sale, but that one might give you the most bang for your buck if this will be your mother's only cruise.

If you're considering that group, I would suggest you also look at AMA. They are very considerate of people with mobility issue (assuming that applies to your Mom) and always have a "slow walkers" group on every shore excursion.

My mom is 83 and will be going with us this fall on her 4th river cruise, and 3rd with AMA.

River cruising is great for multi-generational vacations and my mother has been very pleased with AMA. She participates in the "Gentle Walkers" tours with AMA while we generally opt for Active of DIY. We are all happy and meet up later to compare our adventures.

I haven't done a river cruise yet, but will do my first this fall, plus another one next fall. Have a look at payment policies. Viking demands payment up front, very soon after booking (although I've read there is wiggle room if you ask for it.) I just refuse to do that. I also have heard negatives from a friend about how Viking dealt with water level problems on the Danube, not good.

Look closely at the number of pax, size of cabins, size of tour groups, and tour inclusions--some lines have optional tours that add to the base cost, other lines include virtually everything.

And as someone said, you may have to take what's available at this point, for fall 2015. For fall 2016 we booked tentatively before the schedule actually came out, and confirmed our booking this month, i.e. 18 months in advance. For this fall, we had a little more latitude, since we're doing Egypt and I suspect demand is not very high yet for this destination.

BTW we booked Uniworld and Tauck.

Good choices. My recollection is that Uniworld offers more included amenities compared to Viking with a similar cabin pricing structure. Gratuities are included on Uniworld as are most drinks.

We did Africa (Tanzania and Kenya) with Tauck in September 2011. Over the top trip - excellent in all respects (the challenge is getting there and back). I would go again anywhere with Tauck. That said, have not cruised on their river boats so cannot comment. Uniworld seems to ply the rivers and places we want to see in Europe.

Well, I'll tell you what I did. Having never been on a river cruise, I did some research, particularly on this site. I looked at the reviews of all the major river cruise lines. Here is what I found about the various lines -

UniWorld 87% Loved It (218 reviews)

Tauck 86% Loved It (23 reviews)

Scenic 85% Loved It (52 reviews)

Avalon 81% Loved It (138 reviews)

AMA 80% Loved It (229 reviews)

Viking 80% Loved It (1150 reviews)

From that point I then spent a considerable amount of time actually reading through the reviews. One thing I have learned from reading any reviews, travel or otherwise, is that there are some idiots posting reviews. For example, I am a regular on Trip Advisor. I have seen people give a hotel a 1 star rating (out of 5) because when they called for a room they were told the hotel was full. Good grief!

So I throw out the reviews from idiots. Then I focused on actual ships within a company's fleet. For instance Viking is low in the ranking as a cruise line, but some ships really drag them down, while other ships get stellar ratings.

So in the end I focused on UniWorld, Tauck and Scenic. Reading the individual ship reviews the highest ratings were for UniWorld SS Catherine and SS Antionette. Since the new (my wife loves new) to be launched SS Maria Theresa was on an itinerary we would love, that is the one we picked.

These are very high satisfaction rates. We did Viking Grand European last June. overall passengers were very satisfied with the experience. We were mostly pleased but the food was not great, i would rate it fair to good.

If you can travel on short notice Viking has lots of last minute packages. We booked two weeks out and got a great price. Sign up for emails from the Online agencies that offer great deals on vacations and cruises.

• 3 weeks later...
If you're wanting this October,you won't be able to be too picky about which cruise line - you'll just have to take whatever might be available. Most river cruises sell out over a year ahead.

That isn't always true. We booked at the weekend for a Danube cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg with Scenic in the first week of June, and there was still a fair amount of availability, so long as you didn't want the basic staterooms (Cat D or E).

When I phoned, we started with a preference for either the 1st or 3rd of June, one of the lower category balcony rooms, but we would have taken one of the later June dates if necessary. We got a BB category room on the 1st, so just what we wanted.

And at "Spring Sale" prices, they were cheaper than Viking would been for any June dates :)

Though still more than we have ever spent on a holiday before (This will be our first cruise of any type), so I hope we enjoy it.

I doubt it..just degrees....Coke vs Pepsi...Nikon vs. Canon...etc...we all have our favorites.

Just an example...

The ships are all about the same size, in order to pass though the locks on the various rivers.

Viking has about 200 passengers...

Uniworld about 130...so where does the space make a difference? The work out room on Uniworld...the size of the rooms...the size of the excursion groups...

Sure there are other differences...but...

Rick

I do not represent any cruise line..just my opinion

That isn't always true. We booked at the weekend for a Danube cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg with Scenic in the first week of June, and there was still a fair amount of availability, so long as you didn't want the basic staterooms (Cat D or E).

When I phoned, we started with a preference for either the 1st or 3rd of June, one of the lower category balcony rooms, but we would have taken one of the later June dates if necessary. We got a BB category room on the 1st, so just what we wanted.

And at "Spring Sale" prices, they were cheaper than Viking would been for any June dates :)

Though still more than we have ever spent on a holiday before (This will be our first cruise of any type), so I hope we enjoy it.

We booked a river cruise with Scenic for June, 2016 last month, and when travel agent called for availability she grabbed an option on the last category E cabin on the ship!! I must not be the only one who likes to watch their pennies, and even then this is a more expensive vacation than our ocean cruises, however it includes far more, and the early booking bonuses are generous!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We booked a river cruise with Scenic for June, 2016 last month, and when travel agent called for availability she grabbed an option on the last category E cabin on the ship!! I must not be the only one who likes to watch their pennies, and even then this is a more expensive vacation than our ocean cruises, however it includes far more, and the early booking bonuses are generous!

Yes, according to the deckplans, they have very few of the D&E category rooms - only 4 cat E and 9 cat D, but then have 34 of the sapphire deck balcony rooms.

Check out the boards here for how the various river cruise companies treated their customers with the serious flooding in central Europe. I think it was in 2013.

I remember reading many irate customers of Scenic. It was clear that they did not treat their customers well.

Other companies had problems, but Scenic seemed to garner the most complaints.

Check out the boards here for how the various river cruise companies treated their customers with the serious flooding in central Europe. I think it was in 2013.

I remember reading many irate customers of Scenic. It was clear that they did not treat their customers well.

Other companies had problems, but Scenic seemed to garner the most complaints.

If you use the search function for the River Cruising forum with the term "flooding bus trip 2013," you will find one thread about Scenic -- and many about Viking.

Don't count Tauck out because they may seem expensive. They include everything, tips, all drinks 24 hours a day, all excursions ( no up-selling at all), all transfers from airports trains and hotels even if you arrive and depart days before and after the cruise. Their customer service is outstanding and their reputation for providing an outstanding product speaks for itself. Tauck's new ships are equal in size to all the others, but the max passenger load is 130 compared to Viking(same size ship) with 180.

You really should check out Tauck..it doesn't cost anything and you could wind up with a pleasant surprise. I never traveled with Tauck but my Mom and her best friend did and they absolutely LOVED it. Both of them were seniors and her friend was a polio survivor. She said when they didn't show up for lunch one day (they couldn't handle that much wonderful food!) TM knocked on their door to make sure they were well. Tauck seems to really look out for it's pax and she and her friend felt like they were with family.

Don't count Tauck out because they may seem expensive. They include everything, tips, all drinks 24 hours a day, all excursions ( no up-selling at all), all transfers from airports trains and hotels even if you arrive and depart days before and after the cruise. Their customer service is outstanding and their reputation for providing an outstanding product speaks for itself. Tauck's new ships are equal in size to all the others, but the max passenger load is 130 compared to Viking(same size ship) with 180.

Agreed. When we were doing comparisons for our fall 2016 Amsterdam to Budapest trip, we looked at AMA, Uniworld and Tauck. We looked at Tauck only because our cruise buddies, who will be travelling with us, favoured Tauck. But price-wise, Tauck compared favourably with Uniworld, and AMA was just a bit less expensive. So it was pretty much a wash, when we looked at from every point of view.

We went with Uniworld for the Nile, because at the time it was the only line that had returned--I understand Viking is going back this fall as well.