PG Society Islands- on our own report

crisp1

Sitting here at the IC I want to make a recommendation to all those coming here in the future. Do some shopping for food. 10 minute walk to the left of the hotel entrance there is a local super market and 20 minutes to the right is a large international chain supermarket. I buy large baguettes for 50 cents! Also I stock up on snacks, fruit, cheeses, juices and beer and or wine. Last year and this year five nights here and for $50-$75 you can get breakfast and lunch for your entire stay. Sorry to hear about your restaurant woes. I have been staying here since 2005 and I Jane found the food quality has increased dramatically over the years. At the restaurant I stick with local stuff. Can't go wrong.

I too find IC service and food much improved over the years.

If you don't want to walk to the Carrefours they charged us just $10 each way for drop off and pick up from there. We love a baguette and cheese for lunch and the huge fish seemed happy with the baguettes we fed them at three in the morning. The water lapping was not too rough and quite pleasant.

Whenever we visit new ports we choose excursions that include sightseeing with a local guide who can add some local color/ history, points of interest with photo op stops and maybe a stop at a local restaurant. Questions posted on this board for recommended tours came up with snorkeling, motu lunches, dolphin/whale watching etc, so I did my research on trip advisor and found many of the excursions offered by PG could be booked with other companies at reduced rates- all highly recommended. Since we were overnighting in Bora Bora and Moorea I decided to book with a local on the first day and spend the second either on the motu or book something through the ship. I had read great reviews of Vavau 4x4 adventures in Bora Bora- the description was the same as PG’s off road adventure and considerably less expensive. So I booked and paid in advance on line.

A couple of problems: due to weather, our itinerary was switched so we were in Bora Bora on Sunday and Monday, instead of Tuesday and Wednesday. And although this company is highly rated they do not answer emails. So, when we arrived in Bora Bora we got off the ship and tried to find an office. Everything is closed on Sunday with no office in sight we approached a taxi driver and asked her if she knew the company and showed her our copy of the confirmation. She offered to call and we finally spoke to someone who switched our reservation to Monday. It was a cloudy day with showers so we spent the day back on the ship. The following morning the day was sunny and our tour consisted of us and one other couple from the ship- who was in contact by phone with Vavau. We had a great morning, stopping to watch locals dye pareos, taste local fruit and juice, climbs by truck to points with beautiful vistas and a stop at the cannons with mores spectacular views. The climb to the cannons is not for the faint of heart- but not nearly as scary as the one to Magic Mountain on Moorea. Our guide’s family has lived on the island for generations and his commentary was both educational and funny. We were back at the pier by 1, had lunch on the ship and got to spend a couple of hours on the motu

Edited by crisp1

Twin is correct about taking a short walk to Carrefour and purchasing food supplies for the refrigerator. We purchased the baguette sandwiches made in the back of the shop for a couple of lunches. The French wine was relatively well priced. Try the Taboo beer we liked it better than Hindao beer, a better known beer.

Food in Tahiti is expensive. A can of coke at the supermarket was a dollar!

The downtown roulottes are nice and offer lots of variety.

Wasn't your breakfast included with your hotel room? Ours was when we last stayed there.

From day one it was cloudy most of the day- sometimes there was sun for the morning or afternoon from Thursday until Thursday- and this is the dry season. Tuesday was our new day for Taha'a because of bad weather on Sunday. It rained the whole day- never got to Motu Mahana- the highlight of the week.

Wednesday we booked the Huahine Iti 4x4 through the ship and it rained all day again, our view of the island was mostly looking out of the back of the truck. We did stop at a vanilla farm- that was interesting. Don't get me wrong. We were disappointed with the weather but still had a great time

May / June is really a windy time. dry season is July to October though even in those months one can have rainy days.

Last year it came down heavily in MM but then cleared and we had a gorgeous sunset.

That's too bad about the weather. I was on the cruise the week before you and we went to bora bora on the 4th through the 7th. We went to bloody Mary's on Sunday night and people from the ship were there. Knowing the schedule, I asked why the change. They blamed the weather!

Our few days in bora bora were not that nice, weather wise. I just kept saying, I'll take rain in bora bora if it means I can be in bora bora.