What to do?

aussi3itup

This will be our first trip to Martinique and we are not quite sure what to do! We are both rather young, 22 and 29, so we don't have limits. We enjoy anything dealing with water. On our last cruise we did things such as cliff jumping, parasailing, beach break, and more. We like to try new things and keep it interesting! Really can't seem to find anything yet so we would like suggestions!

• 4 weeks later...

Don't expect to use USD$ or anything but euros there. They are very French and make you feel an inch tall. We found the island itself gorgeous but the people not so much. It was very disappointing and we will not be back. Our table mates on our last cruise though they would find a nice cafè to have a pastry at and only had USD$ and they were forced to exchange money to euros before paying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look carefully at the excursions offered by the ship to see if there is something you might like. Easier to do ship's excursions there.

Unfortunately, it's no longer offered but we did the Calypso Party Boat several times and always had a very FUN time. :D

Do try to find something because Martinique is a beautiful island. :)

LuLu

Don't expect to use USD$ or anything but euros there. They are very French and make you feel an inch tall. We found the island itself gorgeous but the people not so much. It was very disappointing and we will not be back. Our table mates on our last cruise though they would find a nice cafè to have a pastry at and only had USD$ and they were forced to exchange money to euros before paying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of the purposes of forums like these (aside from venting and raging) is to get accurate information out to people/cruisers so they can enjoy their time on board and in the ports visited.

So thank you for posting the obvious and oft mentioned advice to exchange USD for Euros on this French Island. That subject has come up often enough and I'm sorry your friends were caught unawares. Others may now be better prepared to avoid this ignominy.

• 3 months later...

If you are still planning to see Martinique, Karambole Tours proposes different food tours on the island. You can contact them through their website or Facebook, in general they reply rather fast.

You can also pay in dollars if it's cash, otherwise they accept credit cards.

If you are still planning to see Martinique, Karambole Tours proposes different food tours on the island. You can contact them through their website or Facebook, in general they reply rather fast.

You can also pay in dollars if it's cash, otherwise they accept credit cards.

Have you booked with them? I found them on Tripadvisor a couple of weeks ago and the owner (Christelle) was very quick to respond, as you say. She was very accommodating, and I was able to book the 4.5 hour food tour for January, which she normally does in the afternoon, at 9:30am. I managed to fill her entire van with people from my roll call thread here and I am really looking forward to it. I wish I could see some reviews posted, but she seemed very pleasant to deal with so I am not particularly concerned about there being a problem.

I was going to start a thread about them here but the guidelines apparently say that you cannot do that. Presumably after I get back I will be allowed to start a thread with a review.

On the cruise I did I met a family from Illinois and we discussed about the islands we had never visited. As Martinique is one of the stops on my next cruise in March, they said that they had primarily chosen this company because the guide speaks English and takes dollars. I don't know if it was the owner but I think it was a woman. What I remember well is that they were happy about their experience because there was just one couple with them.

On Trip advisor I see that there is only 1 review in french. Looking forward to read yours before I leave.

I'm going to be on the Carnival Sunshine, in Martinique on Dec 13. I'm trying to put together a group for a half day catamaran in case that interests you?

It is with Kata-Mambo. http://kata-mambo.com/

It is a half day catamaran with lunch and snorkeling:

"We propose a half day catamaran to discover the South Caribbean coast.

Our catamaran will pick you up to the Cruise terminal. You will put on full sail to the South and fishing villages. You can admire the wonderful coves fringed with coconut palms: Anse Dufour, Anse noire and its ebony sand, Grand Anse d’Arlet, Petite Anse d’Arlet and of course the famous Diamond Rock. A swimming stop in hot and clear water will be suggested in order to explore the seabed and multicolored fauna; if you are patient you would be lucky to see some turtles.The catamaran will set a sail to return to the Cruise terminal. You will enjoy an open bar all through the excursion, we also offer a snack. The Tour time is about 3h30"

The price is 45 Euros per person, 30 for kids 2-12.

Anyone who is interested- please email me at alisonlyder@gmail.com so we can get this trip off the ground!

there is a nice review of Martinique in the midst of the summit 24th review and you can use dollars in many places.

[url=http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2276104][/url]

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2276104

Edited by Lonedaddy