Crossing Dress Code Question

nycruiser80

I have a crossing dress code question. I am packing for my upcoming crossing and wanted to know on informal nights is it permissible to wear a button down black sweater v-neck "jacket" in place of a sports coat? I have my suit I am bringing however on informal nights I don't like the way my suit jacket looks with a pair of dress khakis. I am flying over to Paris tomorrow and I am almost at my luggage weight limit. Trying to conserve as much as I can. Thank You for any answers!

Edited by nycruiser80

I have a crossing dress code question. I am packing for my upcoming crossing and wanted to know on informal nights is it permissible to wear a button down black sweater v-neck "jacket" in place of a sports coat? I have my suit I am bringing however on informal nights I don't like the way my suit jacket looks with a pair of dress khakis. I am flying over to Paris tomorrow and I am almost at my luggage weight limit. Trying to conserve as much as I can. Thank You for any answers!
Hi nycruiser80,

Of course I can't see the item so please forgive me if I get the details wrong from your description :) , thank you.

But, the words "sweater" and "v-neck" suggest to me a knitted item, and not a "jacket" (ie sports or suit).

Or has it got a button-up front as a jacket would have? With a collar? In other words does it look like a jacket, but knitted?

If you pull it over your head to get it on and off, it is not a jacket, I would say.

Why not wear your suit each night? Many men do, with tie on formal nights, without tie on informal. A friend of mine does exactly this.

Then keep your sweater for casual wear during the day.

Whatever you do, enjoy Paris, have a wonderful crossing and the very best of times :) .

Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

The dress code calls for a jacket, I wouldn't interpret what you describe to be a jacket but others might. Bearing in mind that you are only looking at 4 evenings I would suggest that you ignore the way the suit jacket looks and wear it. You could of course wear the suit for the informal evenings as well. :)

Why not wear your informal jacket/blue blazer that goes really well with khakis, on the flight over? My husband always wears his as he finds the inside pockets the perfect place for his passport and boarding pass.

Why not wear your informal jacket/blue blazer that goes really well with khakis, on the flight over? My husband always wears his as he finds the inside pockets the perfect place for his passport and boarding pass.

I always wear a blazer on a plane because of the convenience of the pockets (and to avoid having to pack the jacket--saves luggage space).

I too now wear a jacket for flying for just that reason.

From what I saw, many men wore the suit in a more casual fashion on informal nights (at least on my cruise). Many wore the suit jacket on top of a sweater, dark shirt or turtleneck. Perhaps that could be an option?

I must get my eyes tested, at first glance I thought your post started with " I Have a CROSS Dressing" code question. lol:D

I must get my eyes tested, at first glance I thought your post started with " I Have a CROSS Dressing" code question. lol:D

I think when cross-dressing the dress code still applies. I would guess that more posters would raise a ruckus about jeans on formal night than a man in a ball gown on formal night (which I have seen--although not on Cunard).

I think when cross-dressing the dress code still applies. I would guess that more posters would raise a ruckus about jeans on formal night than a man in a ball gown on formal night (which I have seen--although not on Cunard).

We bring both tuxes and gowns - 'be prepared' is the boy scout motto!

Lol, yes I took my ball gown with me! I ended up bringing a sports coat as well as I received a surprise upgrade to biz class on the flight using miles so my baggage allowance was increased. I'm in Paris now and in a weeks time will be on the Queen Mary. Looking forward to the experience! Sailed on her before but not a crossing.

Edited by nycruiser80

Lol, yes I took my ball gown with me! I ended up bringing a sports coat as well as I received a surprise upgrade to biz class on the flight using miles so my baggage allowance was increased. I'm in Paris now and in a weeks time will be on the Queen Mary. Looking forward to the experience! Sailed on her before but not a crossing.

I hope you have an enjoyable vacation! :)