Passport to enter Canada

GinnyHoppa811

OP: for all this back and forth and yes/no/maybe dialogue, your precious time could've been better spent filling out passport applications. Costing less than $1/month for its useful 10 year life, you'll be spared the uncertainty AND you'll always be prepared to take advantage of any last minute international travel deals you may find.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Worst justification in the world to have a passport, IMO, and should only be considered if one actually has the means and ability to take advantage of any last minute international travel deals. On the cruise that the OP is taking the only reason they would need something more than a birth certificate/government photo ID is they are crossing the land border on an excursion.

Worst justification in the world to have a passport, IMO, and should only be considered if one actually has the means and ability to take advantage of any last minute international travel deals. On the cruise that the OP is taking the only reason they would need something more than a birth certificate/government photo ID is they are crossing the land border on an excursion.

Groupon; Hotel Tonight; Jetsetter (flash sales); AWD; and numerous other apps/websites that make quick trip decisions very affordable.

Groupon; Hotel Tonight; Jetsetter (flash sales); AWD; and numerous other apps/websites that make quick trip decisions very affordable.

Means is only part of the equation, the other is the ability- being able to take that short fuse trip by taking the time off from work or family responsibilities. As I said, unless someone can actually take one of those last minute deals they shouldn't factor that into their decision whether or not to get a passport.

We booked a discounted flight to the UK at the last minute for Spring break. Without each family member having a passport, we could not have booked the flight. The tickets were not much more than a domestic spring break trip.

I have also found that the US passport has come in handy as a super-document proving both my identity and my US Citizenship during employment.

For completing an I9, a US passport book or card establishes both identify and eligibility for employment. Even though the I9 guidelines uses the term "US passport" which confuses some HR departments.

No, you wouldn't need the passport if you didn't take the one particular excursion. I haven't done it myself, but I think it was a railway tour into the Yukon, and you need a passport for that, since it is open to non-cruise passengers as well, and is a normal land crossing point.

I just did the White Pass/Yukon railroad excursion last week from Skagway and I can confirm that you do need a passport to do the excursion. A Canadian border patrol person comes right on the train at the Canadian border stop and checks everyone's passport.

I just did the White Pass/Yukon railroad excursion last week from Skagway and I can confirm that you do need a passport to do the excursion. A Canadian border patrol person comes right on the train at the Canadian border stop and checks everyone's passport.

Is this the one with three different variations? I was looking at those since the kids love trains.

Is this the one with three different variations? I was looking at those since the kids love trains.

It is not just the railroad trip but the land trip as well. We did one 3 years ago into the Yukon. Van picked us up and then stopped at a second ship to gather 4 other passengers. They had specified we would need passports,but as usual one of the others was a non believer and the van was delayed for her to return to her cabin and get it. They were all collected and checked at the border.

It is not just the railroad trip but the land trip as well. We did one 3 years ago into the Yukon. Van picked us up and then stopped at a second ship to gather 4 other passengers. They had specified we would need passports,but as usual one of the others was a non believer and the van was delayed for her to return to her cabin and get it. They were all collected and checked at the border.

Because it's a land border crossing as mentioned someone could also use a passport card or an enhanced drivers license instead of a passport. Children under 16 only need their birth certificate according to the regulations.

(i) Children Under Age 16. A United States citizen who is under the age of 16 is permitted to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services when entering the United States from contiguous territory at land or sea ports-of-entry;

Because it's a land border crossing as mentioned someone could also use a passport card or an enhanced drivers license instead of a passport. Children under 16 only need their birth certificate according to the regulations.

(i) Children Under Age 16. A United States citizen who is under the age of 16 is permitted to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services when entering the United States from contiguous territory at land or sea ports-of-entry;

Thanks for the clarification. I have misplaced my passport, but have an enhanced drivers license. I think I may expedite a renewal though, because all of this CAN be confusing... and a passport just takes all that away.

I should add something, in regards to their recommendation you have a passport in case if an emergency in a foreign port (that you would need to fly home)

In the itinerary mentioned, Victoria is the only Canadian port. You could easily get to the US by boat, with probably very little time lost. The Victoria Clipper lands in Seattle, and you could then go to Sea Tac. The Black Ball ferry also leaves right from the Inner Harbor, and goes to Port Angeles, WA That is a bit of a distance to Seattle, but it is American soil.

In the itinerary mentioned, Victoria is the only Canadian port. You could easily get to the US by boat, with probably very little time lost. The Victoria Clipper lands in Seattle, and you could then go to Sea Tac. The Black Ball ferry also leaves right from the Inner Harbor, and goes to Port Angeles, WA That is a bit of a distance to Seattle, but it is American soil.

That would still require proper ID to enter/re-enter the US.

Thanks for the clarification. I have misplaced my passport, but have an enhanced drivers license. I think I may expedite a renewal though, because all of this CAN be confusing... and a passport just takes all that away.

I should add something, in regards to their recommendation you have a passport in case if an emergency in a foreign port (that you would need to fly home)

The Victoria clipper apparently now requires passports. I didn't think that it's itinerary needed them but the site says required. I think I'm going to get a passport just to be sure that at least one adult can go wherever/however is needed without trouble. It took me long enough to confirm that the kids were ok to fly without them, I do not want to do that under stress.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That would still require proper ID to enter/re-enter the US.

But not a passport.

Clipper website:

"For US and Canadian citizens, a Passport, Passport Card, Enhanced Driver License or an Enhanced ID Card (EDL/ID) is required to cross the US/Canadian border. If you are flying internationally on either end of your trip, keep in mind that you will need to bring your passport because a Passport Card or EDL/ID is not valid for air travel."

The Victoria clipper apparently now requires passports. I didn't think that it's itinerary needed them but the site says required. I think I'm going to get a passport just to be sure that at least one adult can go wherever/however is needed without trouble. It took me long enough to confirm that the kids were ok to fly without them, I do not want to do that under stress.

It will be easier. I've traveled to Canada using each one at different times. Driving up to Vancouver, that border crossing had me questioned a little more The way back we used a different one - and I think the border guard was used to Washington locals because he didn't bat an eyelash at my EID.

You're apparently misinterpreting what you're reading. The Victoria Clipper doesn't require passports: Passports are only required if you're flying internationally as part of your trip. And kids certainly do require passports if they're flying internationally. Where did you get the idea they didn't? They can make a land or sea border crossing with just a birth certificate, but they absolutely need a passport for an international airline flight. Everyone, regardless of age, needs a passport for an international airline flight.

http://www.clippervacations.com/frequently-asked-questions/

What kind of identification do I need to bring with me?

For US and Canadian citizens, a Passport, Passport Card, Enhanced Driver License or an Enhanced ID Card (EDL/ID) is required to cross the US/Canadian border. If you are flying internationally on either end of your trip, keep in mind that you will need to bring your passport because a Passport Card or EDL/ID is not valid for air travel. More information on crossing the US/Canadian border.

If parents are traveling with children under age 16 or infants, proof of citizenship is required for each child. This could be a Birth Certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Naturalization Certificate or Citizen Card. Also, if both birth parents are not traveling, you will need written authorization from parent/s or proof of custody or you may be denied entrance to Canada. More information on traveling with children.

But not a passport.

Clipper website:

"For US and Canadian citizens, a Passport, Passport Card, Enhanced Driver License or an Enhanced ID Card (EDL/ID) is required to cross the US/Canadian border. If you are flying internationally on either end of your trip, keep in mind that you will need to bring your passport because a Passport Card or EDL/ID is not valid for air travel."

Yes, but the PP makes it sound like if you take the Victoria Clipper you can circumvent the passport (or whatever documentation needed). This mode of transportation still requires the exact same identification as any other border crossing not by air. Why else would you leave the ship before the end of the cruise?

• 2 weeks later...

Something that also needs to be noted is that the term birth certificate refers to an official state birth certificate, the one with the raised seal, not the "birth certificate" with the inked footprint provided by some hospitals to the parents after the deliver of a child in their facility. That item is not an official birth certificate!

Tom

I disagree. You do NOT need a passport for the round trip train-only trip to the summit, as you never get off the train in Canada. I found the following on the Princess web site for this excursion: "No passport required as you do not disembark the train at the summit."

You DO need the passport if you take any of the bus/train combo tours since you do get off the train in Canada.

Yes, but the PP makes it sound like if you take the Victoria Clipper you can circumvent the passport (or whatever documentation needed). This mode of transportation still requires the exact same identification as any other border crossing not by air. Why else would you leave the ship before the end of the cruise?

I didn't read that way at all - the OP said something about wanting to use alternative documentation over a passport. I was merely pointing out that in an emergency if you were in Victoria, there would be other ways of getting home that would be just as fast as getting a flight home.

As for leaving the ship early in a non-emergency way, I was contemplating it myself, for my friend and I... because our timing in Victoria is TERRIBLE. I LOVE Victoria, but it shuts down around 7 PM if you are lucky. Ship docks at 6 PM. We get to Seattle the next morning, so really not a lot of time lost on the ship.

We decided to do it separately on a later trip.

The Victoria clipper apparently now requires passports. I didn't think that it's itinerary needed them but the site says required. I think I'm going to get a passport just to be sure that at least one adult can go wherever/however is needed without trouble. It took me long enough to confirm that the kids were ok to fly without them, I do not want to do that under stress

Agree, children absolutely need passports to fly.

I have taken the. Victoria Clipper several times. You won't board w/o a passport or passport card or enhanced DR or ID.

The last times I left the country the new rules hadn't been fully implemented so I'm a tad confused on what I need. We'll be taking a round trip to Alaska with a stop in Victoria (probably Norwegian). It's pretty clear that a passport isn't needed on the us side but verifying that we won't need it to enter Victoria is harder. I called ncl this morning who said the only thing they could say was to literally read the website to me. That seems fairly clear to me on its own but a couple people have told they needed one because their trip entered Victoria. I'm the check everything a billion time type so I want to make extra sure what the requirements actually are.

As an American living in Canada, I can assure you that a passport card or passport book is required to enter Canada.

The last times I left the country the new rules hadn't been fully implemented so I'm a tad confused on what I need. We'll be taking a round trip to Alaska with a stop in Victoria (probably Norwegian). It's pretty clear that a passport isn't needed on the us side but verifying that we won't need it to enter Victoria is harder. I called ncl this morning who said the only thing they could say was to literally read the website to me. That seems fairly clear to me on its own but a couple people have told they needed one because their trip entered Victoria. I'm the check everything a billion time type so I want to make extra sure what the requirements actually are.

If you are a US citizen taking a cruise from Seattle to Alaska and back to Seattle, sometimes called a closed-circuit cruise, you do NOT have to have a passport or passport card to go on your cruise unless the cruise line you are using specifically requires it. If you go on Holland-America or Princess, you can go using a birth certificate and a government issued photo ID (e.g. a driver's license.) The birth certificate must be one with a raised seal (e.g. not one that is sometimes issued by a hospital where the child was born which usually has an ink footprint of the child somewhere on it.)

Tom