Ecstasy to be late today

jhale

Heard on the news last night the Ecstasy would be late coming in this morning due to the rough sea conditions. Just caught the end of the story, but it appeared that they were predicting it was going to be too rough for the pilots to safely board the ship. She's usually home by now, so I guess they were right.

http://www.galveston.com/cruisecam/

Heard on the news last night the Ecstasy would be late coming in this morning due to the rough sea conditions. Just caught the end of the story, but it appeared that they were predicting it was going to be too rough for the pilots to safely board the ship. She's usually home by now, so I guess they were right.

oh bummer, my BFF and her family leave on her today, hope it isnt too long!!

We are enroute to Galveston now to sail on her. The weather is not bad at all on this end. I expected the ship tobe late.

We are at anchor in the gulf. We can see Galveston but are being told seas are too high for pilots to board. CD is giving updates everry hour. They haven't kicked us out of rooms yet. They r showing movies in Lou ge and ramping up some other activities. I wish they wud offer Internet free as surfing on the iPhone isn't the best. All in all it has been a great cruise even tho we had to dodge Hurricane Alex and deal with some kinda ruff seas. I'll try to post after our next update.

We are at anchor in the gulf. We can see Galveston but are being told seas are too high for pilots to board. CD is giving updates everry hour. They haven't kicked us out of rooms yet. They r showing movies in Lou ge and ramping up some other activities. I wish they wud offer Internet free as surfing on the iPhone isn't the best. All in all it has been a great cruise even tho we had to dodge Hurricane Alex and deal with some kinda ruff seas. I'll try to post after our next update.

That would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the update....I have a friend leaving on her today and they are already on their way to Galveston...they didn't know the ship wasn't in yet until I saw your post and let them know. I'll look for updates from you. Thanks.

Cruise Cal dot Com is saying that they waiting for conditions to improve before they dock. Looks like someone is getting an extra day at sea like we did in 2005. In our case we had two extra sea days :p, one in Costa Maya, because Hurricane Rita closed Galveston.

...also, Web cam shows fog in the harbor. That happened to us one time--circled out in the gulf until the fog lifted. We were 5 hours late getting in and the next cruise did not leave until 9pm that night.

There hasn't been fog in the harbor all morning. There's been blowing rain that made visibility less than ideal, but no fog. The breeze seems to be letting up a bit now, so maybe it'll calm down enough for them to get in soon. There were lots of other ships lined up to get in the channel this morning too.

Looks like they're getting pounded by some heavy rain right now on the island. It looks foggy on the webcam, but it could be the rain. Fog would NOT be a good thing for getting the ship docked. Good luck to anyone headed out today!

Looks like they're getting pounded by some heavy rain right now on the island. It looks foggy on the webcam, but it could be the rain. Fog would NOT be a good thing for getting the ship docked. Good luck to anyone headed out today!

It's lightly raining right now. We had it much worse earlier in the day. It's coming in waves though, so it'll be on and off all day. I'm just blocks from the port and can see it out my window.

Our last update said that the piolts still cannot board. The have opened phone lines for free calls. The weather conditions seem to have worsened since this morning. We are now getting some liGhting n thunder. We have a balcony n can no longer see the island as well as we could earlier, or as many of the cargo ships around us. They are starting to get the buffet ready for lunch but haven't opened any bars. They did say that once the pilots can board it will be approx 2 hrs before we start disembarking and that will take approx 2 hrs. We are zone 19 so we are not expecting to get off for a pretty good while. If I was waiting to board, I wud start looking into hotel availability in Galveston for tonight, just in case. Rooms may be scarce cuz of the holiday weekend. I will try to post again as soon as we have another update. It took me a while this time cuz I kept losing the signal.

Based on the radar, they have a very small window of improved weather (starting soon). In another hour or so...some very nasty bands/squalls will be approaching the coast again.

With the onshore flow between 20 and 25 kts right now...it's not looking good to be honest.

We're waiting to go on our cruise. The rain comes and goes right now. We haven't heard anything about when or if we'll board today. It's only a 4 day cruise, wonder if we'll end up missing cozumel? :(

I hope so too. Coz is my favorite Western Caribbean port of call.

Well we haven't has a formal update in a while, but the are delivering all of our luggage back to the staterooms. We're thinking they wudnt be bringing the luggage back if they thought we were going to be getting off anytime soon. They are showing Avatar in the lounge and the bands are playing on Promenade. So far everyone seems to be making the best of the situation. I haven't seen anyone acting really upset. We have met some wonderful people on this cruise. It may be the friendliest group we've ever cruised with. Many people on our deck have their doors open and are visiting with their neighbors and the room stewards. Still I'm sure this is creating hardships for many. We know some people who have already missed flights. And I really feel for those people waiting to board.

Well we haven't has a formal update in a while, but the are delivering all of our luggage back to the staterooms. We're thinking they wudnt be bringing the luggage back if they thought we were going to be getting off anytime soon. They are showing Avatar in the lounge and the bands are playing on Promenade. So far everyone seems to be making the best of the situation. I haven't seen anyone acting really upset. We have met some wonderful people on this cruise. It may be the friendliest group we've ever cruised with. Many people on our deck have their doors open and are visiting with their neighbors and the room stewards. Still I'm sure this is creating hardships for many. We know some people who have already missed flights. And I really feel for those people waiting to board.

oh no!! they think you might be there till tomorrow am? sorry to hear, and sorry to my BFF for not being able to board her kiddos will be sad:(

I have to commend you and everyone else onboard about your wonderful attitudes about this situtation you have no control over. So many times we read here where passengers have started a mutiny about similar situtations. Maybe I might need to rethink my position about not sailing on Carnival again and give them another try in the future. After it could be the ship I choose and not the cruise line.

I feel for those waiting to board the ship - as I was in their shoes 2 years ago and lost 2 days of our 5 day cruise due to Hurricane Gustav. But, Carnival was VERY good to us - gave us a 50% refund and 50% off of our next cruise. Hopefully, Carnival will be generous again with these folks!

Hope the weather clears soon and the ship can come back to port today!!

Ashley :)

Archived