Stand Up Paddle Boarding?

oceanblue1

Hi Anyone ever done it in Hawaii, or been introduced to this activity in Hawaii? How fit do you need to be to give this an introductory try? Interested in hearing stories.

These fun facts from "Hawaiian Paddle Sports" website: "One of the great things about water sports is that they’re constantly evolving. Whether it be new technology, new techniques, or finding new places to enjoy the sport, water sports have a way of re-inventing themselves so that the enjoyment is always fresh. When you look at the history of stand up paddle boarding (SUP), it’s widely believed that this hybrid paddle sport was invented here on Maui. With the flotilla of stand up paddlers seen paddling the shoreline from Kanaha to Kihei to Lahaina, you get the feeling that you’re standing at the epicenter of where this sport was born.

The history of stand up paddling (SUP), however, runs deeper than a couple of Maui surfers mixing canoe paddles with longboards. It’s true that when two professional Hawaii watermen—Dave Kalama and Laird Hamilton—famously used paddles to propel their longboards during an Oxbow photo shoot on Maui, it was the moment that many claim was the birth of modern stand up paddling. Rather than this being the birth, however, this moment in the early 2000’s was simply a revival of an already existing practice, and the history of stand up paddling dates back thousands of years with roots all over the globe."

That being said, no stories from us, but Google the subject, especially in reference to trying it on Maui, and you should get all of your questions answered. Have fun!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hawaii is a difficult place to SUP unless you can find a beach that has really calm water (which isn't usually predictable due to varying weather conditions) or you're an experienced SUP'er. The combination of wind, waves & currents are what makes it a challenge.

Here's a link to a recent warning on the Maui tripadvisor forum, with comments on how many people get in trouble SUP'ing in Hawaii. Not trying to scare people from doing it, but just to be careful about the conditions that you do it in. Our daughter had a fun time SUP'ing on Maui (off Kaanapali beach) - I enjoy it on a calm lake - but didn't want to give it a try in Hawaii. http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k9037119-Stand_Up_Boards_Use_caution-Maui_Hawaii.html

I suggest beginners start in a more "controlled" environment rather than in the open ocean. A lagoon like the ones at Hilton Hawaiian Village or Aulani would be ideal, just to get a feel for balancing and paddling.

It's a fun activity, but on the surface, I think it appears easier than it actually is.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

There are some nice protected areas with calm water where you can learn. There are protected bays as well as streams. I took a couple lessons at hickam harbor (you need to have base access to do it there though) and the wind was more of a concern than the waves. Certain other beaches I wouldn't suggest for learning, as there are bigger/more frequent waves. It all depends on time of year as well. There are surf forecasts you can use to see where on the island will have the calmest waters a couple days in advance (as with any forecasts, the accuracy goes down exponentially the more days in advance)

I wasn't in the best shape when I first learned and I did OK. As long as you are prepared to be falling in often. The one thing that really stood out for me, personally, was when first getting started we kneeled rather than standing all the way up which wasn't great for my knees.

If you do a lesson, rather than just renting a board and having a go yourself, you should be fine as instructors will keep an eye on the forecast and are familiar with the waters and will keep you away from anywhere unsafe. The first lesson I took they cancelled halfway through because the wind picked up too much for beginners. Most instructors safety is their primary concern.

~Katy

Edited by kgymn

If Kona is one of your ports of call, that is a great place to get some experience. Next to the pier where the tender drops you off is a small protected beach in front of Marriot's King Kamehamaha Hotel. The surf is protected by the pier and Ahu'ena Heiau, an ancient site built into the bay for rituals. It's very calm and safe.

You can rent SUP's, kayaks etc from Kona Boys right there and they can give you instructions. There's no big surf in the small lagoon area and you can venture out as your comfort level allows.

Aloha!:)

Edited by Cruisin Rick

• 1 month later...

I'm 65, have severe foot issues (13 surgeries & resulting numbness) & I paddleboard here on our lake (from shore). I can't go from kneeling to stand up (foot gives out too easily) but I don't have an issue with standing going out from the shore. If it gets to rough for me I sit down (sometimes gracefully, other times not so much [emoji849]) & become a flat surface kayak. It's great exercise, especially for your core & is so very peaceful. I'm looking forward to SUPing in several locations on our April Solstice cruise.