Has anyone ever...

mawvkysc

Yes, it is discussed here from time to time. The problem is that Kona is a tender port, and does have occasional problems with winds and tendering. So you would be on your own to catch up with the ship.

And, yes, you will have to clear it with the ship.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Hilo is the first port. If the OP wants to spend the night between Hilo & Kona at the friend's, I don't see any problem with tendering in Kona. The OP will only tender BACK to ship, which is based on first come, first served base.

And if the ship skips Kona due to unsafe conditions? How does the OP tender back to the ship? The direction of tendering was never the issue, it was the ability to tender at all, if weather is not favorable.

Edited by CruiserBruce

And if the ship skips Kona due to unsafe conditions? How does the OP tender back to the ship? The direction of tendering was never the issue, it was the ability to tender at all, if weather is not favorable.

My bad. I've been reading many trip reports from POA, and the possibility of skipping Kona altogether was not mentioned in any of them :confused:

My bad. I've been reading many trip reports from POA, and the possibility of skipping Kona altogether was not mentioned in any of them :confused:

It happens. We were in Kona last February for 5 nights on a land tour. Two of the days, ships couldn't tender in due to 40+ mph winds and rough seas.

Spent overnight off the ship between Hilo and Kona days? I have a friend who lives halfway between the two ports. Would POA specifically allow this?

This is probably the easiest cruise to do something like this on, as there is no customs, immigrations, or PVSA. As mentioned, your next port is a tendered one, so you may end up flying to the port after that, and losing a day on the ship.

It is still easy even if you miss Kona. Just catch an inter-island plane to Kauai.

Yep, easy. But the flight cost is on you, ground transportation on you. Easy...but not free. And no rebate from NCL for missed time on the ship.

Edited by CruiserBruce