Casablanca on Friday

shelly_11

We are arriving to Casablanca on Friday, 11 January 2013 and I am very much upset since Hassan mosque will be closed for the tourists.

Is Medina market also closed?

Do we have any chance to see anything in Casablanca on Friday?

And one more question - is it necessary for the tourists to take off shoes inside the mosque in winter? Is the floor warm?

Help please - there's not much info about this destination on the web.

• 5 weeks later...

There is not much to see in Casablanca as the main attraction is the mosque and it will be closed on the Friday you arrive. The medina will be opened but the medina in Casablanca is more of an open market and does not compare to for example, the medina in Fes or the medina in Marrakech. You will have a chance to see things in Casablanca but there is not much to see from a tourist/tourism point of view. Casablanca itself is only a big city and not a main attraction for tourists to get a flavour of Morocco.

Yes, it is perfectly okay for you to take off your shoes inside the mosque in winter.

My suggestion is take a day trip to Fes or Marrakech. You will find more attractions and get a better unique experience of Morocco, than staying in Casablanca.

• 2 weeks later...
I have upload a Casablanca tour map. You can read about our visit in Casablanca in 4 January 2012 on my homepage https://sites.google.com/site/semestertips/msc-fantasia-yatch-club/english

Thank you very much for your very detailed report. Daily programs and maps are really helpful since we'll be on a similar journey.

Thank you for asking this question--I don't think I would have even thought of it! We will be visiting on a Friday as well, April 5. Just starting to research. Does anyone have suggestions for a varied group--two active adults, three kids ages 14, 12, and 5, and a senior citizen (age 70+) with more limited mobility. We might leave Grandma and the little one aboard and go ashore with just the four of us...

Archived