South Pacific out of Australia mid year

Sapphire57

Mid year seem to be mostly P and O and Carnival. Other lines head over to USA to do Alaska etc and return around September. Just check out any of the on line cruise websites and you will see who stays in Australia and who leaves.

We have done a couple of p and o solely because we felt like a break mid year and there was no other line going to the sth pacific at the time.

Mid year seem to be mostly P and O and Carnival. Other lines head over to USA to do Alaska etc and return around September. Just check out any of the on line cruise websites and you will see who stays in Australia and who leaves.

We have done a couple of p and o solely because we felt like a break mid year and there was no other line going to the sth pacific at the time.

Yes that's it. We would like to go where it's warm when it's cold at home...really makes it seem like a holiday then.

I have read Princess, Carnival & P&O...which would be more suitable for us ( a couple in mid 50s) preferring less kids as we are kidless.

Edited by Sapphire57

• 1 month later...

I notice this post is a few months old but will reply in case you are still around the boards. we did carnival 30 april and there were 500 kids on board, well behaved and seemed to be kept busy but there were still there. There is however a serenity at the back behind the buffet area that is adult only. A small pool, hot tub and some pods and deck chairs also bar and area to sit and eat.

If $$ is not a consideration I would most definitely go princess if you can find a cruise that suits you.

I notice this post is a few months old but will reply in case you are still around the boards. we did carnival 30 april and there were 500 kids on board, well behaved and seemed to be kept busy but there were still there. There is however a serenity at the back behind the buffet area that is adult only. A small pool, hot tub and some pods and deck chairs also bar and area to sit and eat.

If $$ is not a consideration I would most definitely go princess if you can find a cruise that suits you.

Thanks for your reply Tara Jane. We have gone ahead and booked a cruise on Carnival Spirit for June 2015. Plenty of time to do some research.

Sapphire - you will be fine, the spirit is great. Attitude means so much, go with a positive attitude, being glad your are on a cruise and you will be fine.

Was just speaking today to a friend who's neighbours just got of the spirit on Saturday, had a terrible time!!!! Strange that our friends from Adelaide were on exactly the same cruise and had a wonderful time. Our friends have done 3 RC with us and this was their first Carnival, they were happy. The other couple I think were expecting QE2 on a carnival, some people just don't get it.

• 1 month later...
Sapphire - you will be fine, the spirit is great. Attitude means so much, go with a positive attitude, being glad your are on a cruise and you will be fine.

Was just speaking today to a friend who's neighbours just got of the spirit on Saturday, had a terrible time!!!! Strange that our friends from Adelaide were on exactly the same cruise and had a wonderful time. Our friends have done 3 RC with us and this was their first Carnival, they were happy. The other couple I think were expecting QE2 on a carnival, some people just don't get it.

Thanks I'm sure we will have a great time. It's what you make it. We ended up getting an extended balcony on deck 7 midship so I plan to spend a bit of time out there catching some winter sun during sea days. Have you been to the south Pacific? Could do with some hints on what to do while docked at different ports.

Karen

Hi Karen,

We did a 33-day South Pacific in 2010 and it was the best cruise ever! What ports will you be visiting?

Shelley

Hi Shelley

We have 5 ports, noumea, suva, mystery island, isle of pines and denarau. Do you have any suggestions. Hibby has a bad back so anything too strenuous is out.

Karen

Hi Karen,

We did a 33-day South Pacific in 2010 and it was the best cruise ever! What ports will you be visiting?

Shelley

Sorry Sapphire haven't been back on here to see your question.

Yes I have been to sth pacific several times. of the ports you are visiting we have been to Noumea isle of pines, mystery island. My all time favourite is Mare followed by champagne bay so you can go there on your next cruise.

Noumea - biggish town, you will probably be berthed at the industrial port and put on a bus - free - that takes you to the tourist info area and smaller port. Once you get off the bus walk into the tourist info area where you can book any tours etc. A couple of times we have done a tour about 2.5 or 3 hours by memory, it took us along the beach and then up into the countryside. I think it was something like 25 0r 30 dollars, compared to the 60 odd if you book a ships tour. The bus was full size, with a driver and guide, the guide was a Canadian lady who has lived in Noumea for a very long time. Last trip in May we decided not to take the bus but to get the hop on hop off bus think it was 10 - 15 dollars each. I suggest you get off the ship earlyish so you don't need to worry about any hiccups.n We are late risers but getting off between 9 - 10 am would leave you more than enough time. There is also the little train that takes you around but you don't get to go up into the countryside which is nice to see and it is similar in price. The ship charges something like 60 for the train and a stop with a drink a pastry as opposed to booking on the wharf at around 25 - 30. If you have extra time a wander around the town itself is nice, there is a lovely park think it is coconut square so something similar to that, there is free wifi in the park, also mc donalds has free wifi.

Isle of pines, lovely for wandering around, when you get off the tender turn left and walk about 5 mins to an area where often there will be a native dancing show on, depending on when you get off the ship. There are a few markets there with food clothes etc and also little mini vans that for around 15 - 20 they will take you on an hour and half or two hour trip around the island. The island is small enough that even if the van broke down you could walk back so don't worry about that, just go there first before spending time on the beach. Went to some great look outs and a lovely church and got to chat to the locals. Easy if you prefer to just stay at the beach area, there are two on either side of the little track that you walk between. Good snorkling if you are into snorkling.

Mystery island - Very pretty small island you can walk around in 30 mins. When leaving the dock turn right there will be some locals singing, dancing, maybe some kinder age kids singing. if you can take some goodies for the kids pencils, erasers, sharpeners, paper etc as they have so little. No one lives on mystery islands, the people come from nearby islands when a ship is in. There are also several stalls where you can be taken out on little trips but we just spent time wandering the market area - reasonably good market compared to other stops.

Noumea is rather expensive compared to villa but I don't know in comparison to suva so where would be the best place to do your shopping.

My hubby and I prefer to do our own things whereas my sister is a book on the ship person she needs the security of knowing shes on a ship tour.

Any more questions just ask away.

\

Hi there, I see that Tara Jane has already shared lots of handy advice and tips with you :) but I thought I'd add a few more just incase you find them helpful.

Firstly, I second Tara Jane's comment about Champagne Bay in Vanuatu. It's probably my favorite beach in the South Pacific, powder soft white sand, unbelievably warm turquoise water and friendly locals. Another port I'd recommend is Pentecost Island, where you can witness the Naghol Land Diving Ceremony on selected dates between April and June. It was a little frightening watching the ceremony itself (men jump off towers with their legs strapped with vines) but the villagers were so friendly (one woman my grandmother's age spotted me in the tender getting ready to leave and she kept waving to me until I couldn't see her anymore) and you're free to wander around the villages and beaches.

If you ever visit Vila, I recommend the Eco Waterfall Tour run by Eden on the River as a alternative to the popular Mele Cascade tour which gets overrun with bus loads of tourists. My tour included a walk in the rainforest, a chance to go tubing down a river and to swim under a waterfall. When I climbed out of the river I was given a coconut with a straw (delicious) and back at the base we were treated to at least 10 different types of exotic fruit.

As for Mystery Island, unfortunately due to the weather our ship was unable to stop as it would be too dangerous to send out tenders. We talked to lots of passengers on our cruise and many who had done the same cruise before had missed out on Mystery Island before (due to weather conditions) ... especially mid year. I'm sure you'll be luckier than I though. ;) :D

As for New Caledonia, I travelled to Noumea by plane but do recommend the cruise to Amedee Island that many cruise lines offer. It was definitely the highlight of my trip to New Caledonia. It's a little pricey but you get the chance to go on a glass bottom boat trip from which you can snorkel, to climb the lighthouse, go stand up paddle boarding and watch a Polynesian show. Alternatively, if you'd prefer to do your own thing I also recommend visiting one of the chocolatiers' shops or local patisseries, visiting the Tjibaou Cultural Center (the architecture of the main buildings is worth the trip alone) or catching a local bus to Baie des Citrons, a lovely beach which boasts a variety of cafes.

If you have any questions about P&0 Australia (I know you're booked on Carnival but for future reference ;) ) , Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Samoa, Australia or New Zealand feel free to ask as I'm more than happy to help.

Thanks kiwigirl12. It all sounds fantastic. I'm not sure if my hubby could do the walk but the Eco waterfall tour sounds just what I would like.

One of the bonuses about the Eco Waterfall Tour is that the walk to the waterfall isn't nearly as strenuous as the Mele Cascade Waterfall which apparently includes quite a steep hike on a muddy track. It's suitable for all ages and fitness levels. Glad you liked the sound of some of my suggestions. :)

Thought I'd share 2 photos:

1. View of Champagne Bay from our tender

2. The river on the Eco Waterfall tour

6nzcit.jpg

inti6h.png

I also have scenic shots of Pentecost, Noumea and Amedee Island somewhere.

Edited by kiwigirl12

One of the bonuses about the Eco Waterfall Tour is that the walk to the waterfall isn't nearly as strenuous as the Mele Cascade Waterfall which apparently includes quite a steep hike on a muddy track.

I also have scenic shots of Pentecost, Noumea and Amedee Island somewhere.

Just wanted to say that the walk to Mele Cascades as nowhere near as strenuous as you may have heard. There are concrete steps in a few places where it may be a bit steep and the only time the walk is muddy is if it has been raining. My mother in law suffers from Fibromyalgia and did the walk in 20 minutes.

Just wanted to say that the walk to Mele Cascades as nowhere near as strenuous as you may have heard. There are concrete steps in a few places where it may be a bit steep and the only time the walk is muddy is if it has been raining. My mother in law suffers from Fibromyalgia and did the walk in 20 minutes.

Thanks. Have you been to both? Which is the beyter in your opinion.

@Bellamariya Thanks for sharing your information. I won't be put off by some of the stories the other passengers told me, should I revisit Vila then. :) I'll put the Mele tour on my bucket list. :D:cool:

@Sapphire57 If you're looking for the more impressive waterfall/waterfalls and don't mind sharing your experience with a crowd, then from what I've seen from pictures and heard then Mele would be the right choice. However, if you're looking for a quieter, less visited spot that's a bit off the grid then the Eco Tour might be worthwhile. Both seem like great options, they just offer slightly different experiences so it just depends on what you're looking for.

Edited by kiwigirl12

Thanks. Have you been to both? Which is the beyter in your opinion.

I have not done the Eden River, it is quite new, but I would love to do it.

Looking at the ads it seems to be a different type of falls to Mele Cascades so both would have their own attraction, as do the Lololima Falls which is another tour that is available.

I have been to Mele Cascades a lot of times, both walking up to swim under the falls and abseiling down them. Whenever we have visitors this is one of the first places we recommend they visit.

I second the ship's tour to Amedee Lighthouse Island (from Noumea). It seems pricey but its a full day out on a beautiful island. Great snorkelling,swimming, delicious buffet lunch, lighthouse climb for great views, boat rides. Well worth a visit.

Edited by aussielozzie18

Thanks kiwigirl12. I noticed from a lot of the photos of this eco tour on the net that there seems to be cycling and kayaking involved. Is this the case?? I would love this but alas hubby cant do either.

No cycling or kayaking was involved, just a little bit of walking (not through mud or anything). The only trouble your husband might have is stepping down into the river, as you have to be a little careful as the big rocks you step down onto move a little. The guides give you a helping hand into the river though. It's also quite deep, my mother who isn't a confident swimmer panicked a little when she realized how deep it was but they have inner tubes which you can float on. Eden on the River offers a variety of tours, so perhaps they are new options.

@Bellamariya I might consider the abseiling option for a future trip. :)

Seeing the last post about Noumea, just thought I would mention that while I didn't go on the little train that runs in Noumea it's route does take you past some of Noumea's most picturesque beaches. However none of them compare to Amedee Island.

• 2 weeks later...
I really want to swim in a waterfall...is there any at the ports I am going to??

I'm not sure how to add pictures. I have lots of us swimming at Cascades and sliding down a natural rock slide into one of the pools there.

I have attached a couple here so I hope it works!

cascades.jpg.9433349f12de38d01314ac148d36cd92.jpg

1784206410_cascadesslide.jpg.d4a5f51858d593b5fee8d5d60202d6b9.jpg