Inside vs Balcony

gmros

Do you think there's a big advantage for balcony over inside for an Alaska cruise?

I started planning out our Alaska cruise trip and the tours are crazy expensive. Looking at the tours we would like to take, it's totaling around $3100 including tips. So I'm thinking maybe we should downgrade to an inside instead of balcony. What do you think?

Do you think there's a big advantage for balcony over inside for an Alaska cruise?

I started planning out our Alaska cruise trip and the tours are crazy expensive. Looking at the tours we would like to take, it's totaling around $3100 including tips. So I'm thinking maybe we should downgrade to an inside instead of balcony. What do you think?

I have booked our first cruise to Alaska for next August, and went with a balcony. We also had sticker shock at the total cost of the excursions we want to do, but I can't imagine going all the way to Alaska (we are East coasters) and not doing the things we want, and not having a balcony. However, it really is such a personal decision. I know people who say the balcony isn't really worth it to them as they can go out on deck, and others who wouldn't go without the ability to sit on their balcony. I have done plenty of inside rooms on other cruises, but can't imagine not having the ability to be on a private balcony in Alaska, so we are sticking with a balcony.

We had a balcony when we visited Alaska. It was beneficial to have our own private viewing space when we sailed to the Hubbard Glacier, when we sailed through the Inside Passage, and when we wanted to enjoy the scenery while in port. If you choose to forego a balcony, you can still view the sights from the Helipad, the outside deck areas, and from a seat near a window in one of the indoor common areas.

In short, having a balcony was a perk, but I don't think having an inside stateroom would have ruined my experience in Alaska.

I've done inside and oceanview rooms to Alaska. IMHO if it is either a balcony or the excursions, you will get a better taste of Alaska by spending your money on the excursions.

I've never felt deprived by not having a balcony for Alaska, getting out onto the public decks gives a person a panoramic view.

Would an oceanview cabin be a reasonable compromise for you?

I have seen Alaska out of a porthole, obstructed view and a balcony. If I thought that I was only going to cruise to Alaska once I would likely book a balcony, however having now cruised there enough I really don't think a balcony is necessary. You are likely going to be in port 4 of your 7 days and if sailing from Seattle then your are not likely going to see much for the better part of a day in either direction. Out of Vancouver things change a bit because you are going to have scenery on your sea days but there are enough lounges on ships that you are going to enjoy the scenery anyways. If you sit on your balcony (and few do because of the damp, cool weather) then you are only going to see half of the scenery. So you won't necessarily be shortchanging yourself by booking something other that a balcony and use the savings on excursions.

This can be a tough decision. Questions to ask yourself- would getting a balcony, cause me to not do some touring of preference? Does this matter to me? Am I more interested in the ship experience?

Alaska is no longer that "exotic" where cruisers don't return. Is that possible for you? There are a lot of repeaters. :)

Everyone is different, and funds a personal decision. Writing down the options and coming back to them a few times, may further direct you to your decision.

I did the 10 day Alaska on Princess last May from San Francisco round trip. I booked a balcony and I can honestly say that the cruise would not have been the same without the balcony. So much in fact that when we go back in May 2014 we decided either we would have a balcony or not go at all.

We really enjoyed the aspect of sailing into port early in the morning and sitting on our balcony. There is really something to be said for sipping coffee in your pajamas and watching bald eagles pass you by.

Edited by bamm

Having cruised twice in late May I can say that my experience sailing into port in my pajamas would have been covered by a heavy coat along with a hat and gloves. Neither time were we able to enjoy the balcony for extended periods of time with out winter gear.....although I did enjoy the view :D

My 3rd and 4th trips were in inside and outside cabins and I haven't looked back. Next year we are booked in an inside cabin again with access to a covered deck just a few feet away. :)

Thank you everyone for all your help! We finally booked and got an oceanview with a big window on the Millenium :D Balcony cabins are more than twice the price of an OV ($700+). So we decided to forego the balcony and use the extra money for tours :D

Thank you everyone for all your help! We finally booked and got an oceanview with a big window on the Millenium :D Balcony cabins are more than twice the price of an OV ($700+). So we decided to forego the balcony and use the extra money for tours :D

I am quite sure you will not regret choosing excursions over a balcony. Excursions are what will provide an amazing Alaska experience. If money were not issue, then I imagine a balcony would be great. (I haven't had the pleasure yet.) I have had one unobstructed oceanview and two obstructed ocean view cabins. We just don't spend time in our cabin, nor do we have the budget. Would it have been nice upon waking up to have the balcony view? I imagine it would. Plus, if we had a balcony, we probably would have spent more time in the cabin. However, we did not mind being out on deck or finding lounges with great views.

Have a great time!!

I am quite sure you will not regret choosing excursions over a balcony. Excursions are what will provide an amazing Alaska experience. If money were not issue, then I imagine a balcony would be great. (I haven't had the pleasure yet.) I have had one unobstructed oceanview and two obstructed ocean view cabins. We just don't spend time in our cabin, nor do we have the budget. Would it have been nice upon waking up to have the balcony view? I imagine it would. Plus, if we had a balcony, we probably would have spent more time in the cabin. However, we did not mind being out on deck or finding lounges with great views.

Have a great time!!

Thank you vbmom! We're very excited! I'm already trying to make a shopping list for the trip :)

I was looking at double for the Amsterdam also. Man I want the balcony.... But $2k pp goes a long way towards excursions. I'm hoping beyond hope that we are offered an upsell.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Got your retirment paid, college 529 funded, and aren't making other compromise in life, then go balcony.

I guess I'm a lover of deals, and regardless of finances I'm always looking for the best value and inside is where I always look first.

I am also late to the thread.

However, I agree the excursions are most important thing. We have sailed in balconies and a JS to other places and really enjoyed them. . . .and I am sure I would have liked a balcony in Alaska. But, I doubt I would have used it all that much.

We took the last NB cruise that left Aug 31. It was cold many days. We stayed on the deck when we could stand it and viewed from inside i.e. Viking Crown lounge the rest of the time. We had an inside cabin. Our Alaska cruise and our Panama Canal cruises are our 2 favorites so far--and they were both inside cabins.

I do not regret not having a balcony. I would regret not going on a whale watch or the train in Skagway.

Have a great cruise.:)

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Different strokes for different folks!

I would not cruise period, if I couldn't afford a balcony cabin, and I very rarely do any high priced excursions.

Our first cruise we didn't book one excursion, just went mainly for the cruise (to see if hubby would get seasick).

2nd trip to Alaska was an 11 day HAL cruisetour that provided me with all the info, sights, etc that I wanted to see in the Yukon & Alaska, without spending extra cash for excursions. Only booked one extra to Jeff King's Husky Homestead. I wouldn't get in a small boat or small airplane so those high priced excursions don't figure into my budget. What I see from my balcony on the ship is enough for me.

No natural light in the cabin, no fresh air in the cabin, I would hyperventilate real quick in an inside cabin. Even with the ocean view on our first Alaska cruise it was rough, we were always out on deck, spent very little time in the cabin. Just be prepared with warm outerwear!

But everyone has to decide what is best for them! Have a great trip!

I am also late to the thread.

However, I agree the excursions are most important thing. We have sailed in balconies and a JS to other places and really enjoyed them. . . .and I am sure I would have liked a balcony in Alaska. But, I doubt I would have used it all that much.

We took the last NB cruise that left Aug 31. It was cold many days. We stayed on the deck when we could stand it and viewed from inside i.e. Viking Crown lounge the rest of the time. We had an inside cabin. Our Alaska cruise and our Panama Canal cruises are our 2 favorites so far--and they were both inside cabins.

I do not regret not having a balcony. I would regret not going on a whale watch or the train in Skagway.

Have a great cruise.:)

I feel the same way. Alaska, for me, was all about the excursions. Without the excursions, you get just the appetizers. With the excursions, you get a full course meal. I am sure I would like a balcony, but definitely not if it meant I could not go on the excursions I wanted. So far, no balcony for me.

For us it is inside for Caribbean and balcony for Alaska! We have been to Alaska 3 times (one being a B2B). Once in May, twice in late June. Each time with approximately 20 people. We used our balcony quite a bit on our June cruises. We were able to have several rooms next to each other and had the balconies opened and we never looked back.

I must admit we had beautiful weather and normally didn't even have a coat on. Would not have changed a thing. That does not mean that we did not explore the ship and take advantage of the front view of the ship. We used our balconies as a gathering place and enjoyed many memorable moments.

Would an inside room ruin my trip? Absolutely not, but Alaska is one place that you have beautiful scenery for 90 per cent of your trip and I like to take advantage of my balcony to take it all in.

This is just a personal opinion! The main thing is that everyone should be able to view this beautiful majestic state!:)