Oslo Hotel

linderbelle

We stayed at the Clarion Hotel Folketearet (sp?) about a month ago. It gets very good ratings on Trip Advisor and is conveniently located about a block from the train station, making it very easy to get to the hotel from the airport. The hotel provides an excellent breakfast buffet as well as afternoon coffee and pastries. In the evening there is a light dinner buffet consisting of soup, salads, bread, and an entree.

Transportation options are nearby - both tram and bus. We chose to take a taxi to the pier. It was about $20. There is also a bus that goes there, but we didn't want to deal with luggage on a bus.

Just starting to investigate Oslo and will only have two days--I'm into landscape photography and so far on my list is the palace, Akershus Fortress, Vigeland Sculpture Park, Opera House and ski jump. I don't know if we can get this all done in two days or not. Would like a hotel that is in great vicinity of dealing with the transit--haven't investigated that yet either as best way to maneuver around the city. A breakfast at the hotel would be nice. Open to suggestions please.

Linda

Just starting to investigate Oslo and will only have two days--I'm into landscape photography and so far on my list is the palace, Akershus Fortress, Vigeland Sculpture Park, Opera House and ski jump. I don't know if we can get this all done in two days or not. Would like a hotel that is in great vicinity of dealing with the transit--haven't investigated that yet either as best way to maneuver around the city. A breakfast at the hotel would be nice. Open to suggestions please.

Linda

Akershus and the Opera are both easily walkable from the city center. The easiest ways to get to Vigelands Park are to either take the Tram #12 from downtown to the stop outside the park or to take any westbound T-bane (metro/subway) to Majorstuen - about 10 minutes walk from the park (or a 2-minute bus/tram ride). Getting to the ski jump requires taking the T-bane #1 up to Holmenkollen and walking ~10 minutes from the station.

For convenience, I would try to stay relatively close to Karl Johans gate between the central station and Nationaltheatret. If you're a short walk from a T-bane station (Nationaltheatret, Stortinget, or Jerbanetorget) it will be pretty easy and quick to get around.

The aforementioned Clarion Folketeatret is a short walk from the central station and close to the cathedral. It's a very convenient location, and there's quite a bit going on nearby. (The road in front of the hotel is not the most picturesque, but the center of the city stretches away from the hotel in the other direction.)

I've had friends stay at the Comfort Hotel Grand Central, which is a fairly new boutique hotel inside the historic part of the central train station (now a food hall). It has a very contemporary decor style blended with the historic building. And of course the location is quit convenient with immediate access to trains, t-bane, trams, and buses, and a short walk over to the opera.

On a more budget level, also attached to the station is the Scandic Byporten. I stayed there the night I moved to the city, and while the room was teeny tiny, the hotel was clean and efficient, and their breakfast is handled by the Egon restaurant next door and had a nice spread. (Nearly all hotels aside from the extreme budget options like Citybox or Smarthotel include breakfast.)

The Radisson Blu Plaza is right across the street from the central station and has quite large rooms and the atmosphere and amenities you'd expect from a modern business hotel.

The Hotel Bristol gets good reviews and is a short walk from Stortinget. Also close to Stortinget is the Grand Hotel, full of old world history.

IMO I would stay well clear of the horrible hotels that are Nordic Choice Hotels (Quality Hotels, Comfort Hotels, Clarion Hotels, Clarion Collection)

Also, the area around the Central Station is not the best area to be seen walking.

Grand Hotel, Bristol Hotel, Hotel Continental are good choices. Radisson Blu are also quit ok for a night or two.

I try not to stay to long in Oslo as its my least favourite city.

IMO I would stay well clear of the horrible hotels that are Nordic Choice Hotels (Quality Hotels, Comfort Hotels, Clarion Hotels, Clarion Collection)

Also, the area around the Central Station is not the best area to be seen walking.

Grand Hotel, Bristol Hotel, Hotel Continental are good choices. Radisson Blu are also quit ok for a night or two.

I try not to stay to long in Oslo as its my least favourite city.

Not the best area to be seen walking by whom? Norway's upper echelon who might look down on you for not taking a taxi? ;)

I would stay west of Storgata and north of Prinsens gate, but the rest of the area around the station is just fine. There are some risks of pickpockets in the area along Storgata, but if you don't make yourself a target, it's unlikely to be a problem.

If you're expecting a shiny utopia, you might want to stay in a fancier area, since there are a lot more people in that area asking for money (since there are also a lot more people passing by). Otherwise, the area isn't any dirtier or less safe than the rest of downtown. As a single woman, I've certainly never felt unsafe around Jernbanetorget, and that includes being alone late at night after a few drinks.

Why would you avoid the Comfort/Clarion Hotels? I've never known anyone to have a bad experience*, so I'm a bit surprised.

*This is limited to hotels in Oslo, Stavanger, and Tromsø.