Tallinn DIY Report

Once upon a time... would make an excellent intro to this town.

Tallinn, Estonia, is the oldest capital city in Northern Europe and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It boasts a charming walled old town where a visit is like a trip back in time to the medieval period.

Tallinn's old town boasts a number of historic points of interest as well as some interesting shops and restaurants and a great flavour of an age long past. It's predominantly pedestrian only cobble stone streets are easily walkable during a port day. However, it is built on a hill that slops down towards the sea, so it can result in a decent amount of exercise depending on how you approach it.

Here's a photo of Old Town as seen from the top of our ship:

p1636212048-4.jpg

Map:

As usual, I've prepared a Google Map of Old Town Tallinn showing many points of interest, some restaurants, and key transportation options.

My Tallinn Google Map

Other Resources:

This site is a fantastic resource for learning more about Tallinn and the key points of interest…

http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/eng/fpage

Getting into Old Town Tallinn:

On Foot:

The Cruise Pier is marked on the map and it's about 1.5km (1mile) to Fat Margaret's Tower at the entrance to Old Town by foot. This is easily walkable for able-bodied folks. However, if you want or need to minimize the walking you do, there are a few options...

If you want to take it a bit easy, the best thing to do is to take a taxi from the pier to the upper far side of Old Town in the morning. Doing so will allow you to enjoy exploring the town as you work your way downhill and save you from walking both up and down.

Taxi:

If you decide to take a taxi from the pier to the upper part of Old Town, book a taxi in advance from the pier to the Nevsky Cathedral entrance and agree to the rate by email for the 2-3km distance which should be about 6-8 Euro. The taxi companies all have different rates with some being exorbitant. The company I used has an English website, corresponds in English, has reasonable published rates, honoured those rates and was promptly on time at the pier.

Taxi company I used

Here is a list of taxi companies and their rates

Here's some additional information on Taxis in Tallinn

Ship Shuttle:

Apparently there was also a ship shuttle between the pier and the lower part of Old Town (marked on my map) but we never witnessed this in action so I'm afraid I can't offer any insight into how effective this was.

HOHO Bus:

I don't recommend the HOHO in Tallinn simply because the buses cannot access the key points of interest within the walls of Old Town. Both City Sightseeng and another company (Tallinn City Tour) offers a HOHO bus tour for 16-Euro. They do offer access to some points of interest outside of Old Town as marked on their maps, however, none of these are nearly as interesting as Old Town itself.

Tallin City Tour

City Sightseeing

What to See:

There are a number of good walking tour recommendations online. If you're walking from the ship uphill into town and then back, I came across a couple other walking tours (Google Brent and/or Rick Steves with Tallinn to find them).

However, if you do like we did, and start your day at the upper most point of Old Town, working your way downhill to minimize walking and maximize time, then here's my recommended walking tour… (with photos)

1. Kiek in de Kok: If you start your day at the Nevsky Cathedral entrance to Old Town at the top of the hill, Kiek in de Kok is just to the left (east) down Komandandi tee. Honestly, this place is more fun to say than it is to visit. While it translates to "peek in the kitchen" I prefer it's phonetic message. :) Regardless of the name, it's a museum in a tower. I wouldn't bother going in, but this is a good place to start with a photo.

http://linnamuuseum.ee/kok/en/

p1621916806-4.jpg

2. Toompea Castle Tower: If you walk back west along Falgi Tee a few feet you'll get a great view of the castle tower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toompea_Castle

p1716271290-4.jpg

3. Nevsky Cathedral: Now inside the walls of upper old town, the first thing you'll see is Alexander Nevsky Cathedral which is an impressive example of Russian Orthodox architecture. It's worth a brief (and free) visit inside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Nevsky_Cathedral,_Tallinn

p1668344219-4.jpg

4. St. Mary's Cathedral: Not the most impressive cathedral but is very old, dating back to the 13th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toompea_Castle

5. Lookout/Viewpoints: There are two courtyards that offer views of the town and nearby area marked on my map. Visit either or both before heading down.

6. Descending down to the lower part of Old Town: you can take either Plikk Jalg or Luhike Jalg both of which start just behind the Nevsky Cathedral. See the map.

7. St. Nicholas' Church (Art Museum): The former church, now art museum with art from the Medieval period. We didn't visit.

http://www.nigulistemuuseum.ee/en/niguliste-museum/niguliste-museum

8. Town Hall Square (Raekoja plats): is the square beside the Tallinn Town Hall and is the hub of Old Town. The town hall itself is apparently the oldest town hall in all of the Baltic/Scandinavia region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallinn_Town_Hall

p1829791860-4.jpg

9. Lunch: If you're hungry at any point, I highly recommend any of the medieval themed restaurants to be found down Vanaturu Kael. Here you'll find Olde Hansa, the Peppersack, (both marked on the map) and a few others. At least Olde Hansa (where we stopped) offers a mix of interior and patio seating and an authentic medieval experience ranging from strange menu items like reindeer and mead, to costumed servers. Just don't be in a rush on busy days… the service can be slow.

p1669478980-4.jpg

p1793655800-4.jpg

p1870632134-4.jpg

p1630883515-4.jpg

10. Wandering central Old Town: You can soak in the medieval ambiance and do some shopping by wandering around the areas between the town hall square, Viru street, Catherine's Passage (Katariina Kaik) and the city wall.

p1655781088-4.jpg

11. Viru Gate and Wall Access: After exploring the shops along Viru, stop and visit the gate entrance which is flanked by a couple of ivy covered medieval towers. Then proceed down Müürivahe street (home of the knit market) to the Hellemann Tower where you can access the town wall if you like (3-Euro).

p1642761585-4.jpg

12. St. Catherine's Passage: Continue shopping in the area by exploring the narrow alleys and streets in and around Katariina Kaik which hosts medieval style workshops run by guild artists.

p1686709799-4.jpg

13. City Museum: One of a couple of museums housed in a medieval merchant house. This museum covers the history of Tallinn. Admission 3.2-Euro. Open 10AM-6PM in the summer months. We did not visit.

http://linnamuuseum.ee/linnamuuseum/en/

14. Estonian History Museum - Great Guild Hall: Another museum in a guild hall charting the history of Estonia. Open 10AM-6PM (except closed Wed.). Admission 4-Euro. We did not visit.

http://www.ajaloomuuseum.ee/en/visiting

15. House of Brotherhood of Black Heads: This otherwise nondescript 14th century residential building has a bright red, green, and gold door is often featured on postcards. Worthy of a view/photo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brotherhood_of_Blackheads

16. Tower Square and City Wall: Exit the confines of the walled town briefly on Suurtuki street to find the Tower Square and great views of the City Wall and towers.

p1639455699-4.jpg

17. St. Olaf's Church: A 14th century Gothic church that dominates the Old Town skyline. You can climb the tower for a view for 2-Euro between 10AM and 6PM (8PM in August).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Olaf's_Church,_Tallinn

18. Great Coastal Gate - Fat Margaret Tower: If you're following this itinerary, this is where you'll exit Old Town on your way back to the ship. This tower was built to impress and it's obvious. It's FAT. It's home to the Estonian Maritime Museum. You can climb the tower (4-Euro) and visit the museum (12-Euro Combo Ticket) from 10AM-6PM during the summer.

http://meremuuseum.ee/en/paks-margareeta

p1721951824-4.jpg

Note that the points of interest for this walking tour (from the top of the hill back down) are listed in the same order on the Google Map for easy reference.

A special thanks to the folks of this forum who helped me plan my day... it was a fabulous time and one of my favourite stops on this cruise.

What wonderful photos and map. Tallinn was a really pleasant surprise on our cruise. We opted for one of the restaurants on the town square (traditional food for us and pizza for our sons:p), but the medieval restaurants sound really good. I hope we get to return someday.:)

Once upon a time... would make an excellent intro to this town.

1. Kiek in de Kok: If you start your day at the Nevsky Cathedral entrance to Old Town at the top of the hill, Kiek in de Kok is just to the left (east) down Komandandi tee. Honestly, this place is more fun to say than it is to visit. While it translates to "peek in the kitchen" I prefer it's phonetic message. :) Regardless of the name, it's a museum in a tower. I wouldn't bother going in, but this is a good place to start with a photo.

http://linnamuuseum.ee/kok/en/]

You have done a great review of Tallin. We also felt much as you do about this charming city.

We did go into Kiek in de Kok museum and found it to be very interesting. There is a short video about the history of Estonia (it plays in English frequently). Very helpful in placing what we were experiencing in context. Views of the city from the top of this tower are fantastic.

Also, the church near Fat Margaret's gate has a viewing platform you can climb a circular staircase to get to. It also has some fantastic views of the harbor and the city.

Edited by spirit rev

Many thanks for this impressive report - now filed away for our cruise next July.

How long did your tour take from exiting the ship to returning?

I noticed you bypassed some of the points of interest and I wonder - did you feel there were some that you did have time to take in?

Or were you happy that you achieved the right mix for the time allowed? We are in port on a Tuesday from 8:00 to 5:00 pm

EDIT: I would love to go into The tower K in de K as described by spirit rev

Thanks also for the beautiful photos.:)

Edited by Spicy Red
Forgot to say

Taxi:

If you decide to take a taxi from the pier to the upper part of Old Town, book a taxi in advance from the pier to the Nevsky Cathedral entrance and agree to the rate by email for the 2-3km distance which should be about 6-8 Euro. The taxi companies all have different rates with some being exorbitant. The company I used has an English website, corresponds in English, has reasonable published rates, honoured those rates and was promptly on time at the pier.

Taxi company I used

I just tried booking with your company and they are trying to charge me 14e.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Many thanks for this impressive report - now filed away for our cruise next July.

How long did your tour take from exiting the ship to returning?

I noticed you bypassed some of the points of interest and I wonder - did you feel there were some that you did have time to take in?

Or were you happy that you achieved the right mix for the time allowed? We are in port on a Tuesday from 8:00 to 5:00 pm

EDIT: I would love to go into The tower K in de K as described by spirit rev

Thanks also for the beautiful photos.:)

We were in port from 10AM to 5PM so ordered a taxi for 10:30 and we got back around 4PM. That was plenty of time to see everything we wanted. The reason we skipped a few things is that we're not really into museums... but I included them in my list of points of interest and on the map for others.

I just tried booking with your company and they are trying to charge me 14e.

Hmmm... that's not very nice! :) Here's my exchange with them...

Me:

I understand the rate is 3.5 EUR + 0.77 EUR/km For this trip of about 3 km it should be around 6 EUR. Please correct me if I am incorrect.

Thank you.

Them:

For this trip it should be around 6-8 EUR. May I confirm the order?

With best regards

Irina Jakkimainen

AS Tallink Takso

Edited by VirtualRain

We were in port from 10AM to 5PM so ordered a taxi for 10:30 and we got back around 4PM.

Me:

I understand the rate is 3.5 EUR + 0.77 EUR/km For this trip of about 3 km it should be around 6 EUR. Please correct me if I am incorrect.

Thank you.

Them:

For this trip it should be around 6-8 EUR. May I confirm the order?

With best regards

Irina Jakkimainen

AS Tallink Takso

Excellent, cheers

Love the pictures. I am glad you tried Old Hansa. Did you check out the bathroom there? I took a picture but it came out too dark to post.

Ha... No I never used their bathroom, but now that you mention it, perhaps it's for the better?! (especially if it was true to the medieval theme) :D

Edited by VirtualRain

Interesting, I just checked again and they said I would have to call that morning in port to get the rate you were quoted. Enterprising, aren't they?

Huh... that doesn't seem good. Perhaps try one of the other companies linked in the first post?... There are several others.

VirtualRain

I have just printed out your useful information as we shall be in Tallin next week. I have a question about the taxis. Surely you are able to negotiate a price with one of the taxi drivers at the port?

We will take a taxi to the top of the hill and walk down. As I have limited mobility I will take a manual wheelchair. Do you think the downhill will be very difficult. I notice from pictures I have seen of Tallin that they seem to have pavements?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

VirtualRain

I have just printed out your useful information as we shall be in Tallin next week. I have a question about the taxis. Surely you are able to negotiate a price with one of the taxi drivers at the port?

We will take a taxi to the top of the hill and walk down. As I have limited mobility I will take a manual wheelchair. Do you think the downhill will be very difficult. I notice from pictures I have seen of Tallin that they seem to have pavements?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm sure you can negotiate with taxi's at the pier, but from what I read on here, they are very enterprising and likely to charge a lot more than the metered rate. From what I've read, the best negotiated rate you'll get at the pier is probably 15-20Euro... vs. 6-8 for a metered ride. If 10-Euro's aren't a big deal (I'm not sure I would care too much about that), then absolutely, just arrange something upon arrival. However, for the effort of a couple of emails, I was able to book a taxi and ensure the rate was metered.

As for the streets of Tallinn... I was on crutches with a walking boot cast and I was able to navigate the terrain ok, but almost all of the streets are cobblestone so it may prove challenging at times in a wheelchair but some of the main streets at least have a cement sidewalk.

One thing worthy of mention for those with limited mobility is the Tallinn Train which is a little tourist train that tours around the lower part of old town. Here's the info I have from my notes:

A fancy new City Train has replace the well-known train Thomas on the cobblestone streets of Tallinn’s Old Town. The new, two wagon train operates throughout the year along the usual trail of winding streets.

Hop on at the stop on Kullassepa street just next to tourist information centre to enjoy the 20 minute ride. Train rides are available every day between 11.30am and 7pm, tickets for adults are 5 Euros and for children 3 Euros.

The tourist information center is marked on my map. If you can make it that far without too much trouble, perhaps this train will make your day a bit easier from there.

The information about the train is useful. Does it go to the top of the hill?

I'm afraid I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it does not as the short climb to the upper part of old town is probably too steep for something like that train.