Silver Wind's Steiner's Spa

Master Echo

I was first introduced to Shellac nails by the now Manager on the Shadow, Jo when I travelled on the Wind a few years ago, who did a brilliant job with my nails lasting long after the end of the cruise, nearly four weeks later.

On a recent Wind cruise, the Manager, Charlie, a charming English girl who has a good team, has unfortunately a manicurist/pedicurist who does not have very good customer care skills.

My husband was the first to have a pedicure and was given quite the hard sell for a particular foot cream, and he said he would think about it. Several days later, when having my finger nails done, she remarked that my husband was stubborn as he did not buy the products she suggested.

She also tried to persuade me to buy a particular product for my nails, insisting that it would be cheaper to buy onboard, rather than either the UK or the U.S., as they did not have to pay "transport" costs! Subsequently she was proved wrong on both counts as they were decidedly cheaper ashore.

To add insult to injury, the shellac lasted less than a week, but it would not have been cost effective to fly to Aqaba to get it redone, under the 14 day guarantee!

If shallac only lasts a week, it was not properly applied. Either it was not cured properly, there was residual oil on your nails, or she did not use the products in the order or amount recommended by the manufacturer. I have had a shellac manicure every 2 weeks or so (can make it last up to 3 if needed), so know quite a lot about it.

Personally, especially given the hard sell for products, I would call someone at Silversea and find out who is in charge of the Steiner spas onboard, then let them know. The hard sell tactics really turn me off. Most of the people I have encountered in the spa are more of the suggestion to buy variety, but don't press the issue.