QM3, or how would a future liner look like?

QM1

Dear Mr. Payne,

with the QM2 you have possibly created the best mix of the old and the new world of ocean travel. I have the highest respect for you.
I am about the same age as you, so maybe we both wont see the day when QM2 is being retired. At least I wish her the 40-year career envisioned, and us a healthy life that lasts a little bit longer than that day.

If all goes according to plan, Cunard will start working on "QM3", the true QM2 successor from the late 2020s/early 2030s onwards with a premiere around 2040. Its a long time until then. The only thing I am certain about is that it will have a red and black funnel (even if its a dummy), a black hull and a white superstructure.

What do you expect could be the major features of such a ship in terms of propulsion, size, outward design, and new passenger features/amenities?

• 2 weeks later...
Dear QM1,

Thank you for your kind comments about Queen Mary 2.

The ship was specifically designed to have a structural design life of at least 40 years; so at ten years old Queen Mary 2 is still only a junior!

Passenger ship design is an evolving science and it really is too early to imagine what will be in vogue and considered essential for a ship to be delivered in 30 years time. However, that said, fuel economy and minimising operating costs will be at the fore as this is the only way to remain viable. If market conditions warrant a direct replacement of Queen Mary 2 I would expect an epoch making design, full of traditional and exciting new features just as Queen Mary 2 provided. But that's a long way off!

Thank you for your question.

Stephen

Archived