Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Closed Thread

Old February 19th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLLEYBERRY View Post
I t makes one wonder if some of those passengers who have mysteriously disappeared and then deemed desperate souls were actually victims of a crime....beating /raping or in anyway accosting a passenger male or female within the confines of a ship (no where to flee) would certainly put a crew member or fellow passenger for that matter, in a great deal of jeopardy,perhaps silencing their victim permanently by using an ocean as an accomplice isn't so far fetched.
What a scary thought You've made a very good point, numerous relatives have said their missing loved one was happy and would never have jumped overboard.

Wonder if any of the authorities have searched for a common denominator?

Old February 19th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Legal concepts are for the courtroom. There is no reason whatsoever in a public forum for anybody to use the word alleged to describe the crimes. And his confession can be accepted in public discourse for exactly that. Whether it stands in court is immaterial to our discussion.

Also, there are posters who believe other posters are blaming the victim. I have read the whole thread and contend not one blamed the victim. All I see are people pointing out how absurd it is to take the victim's words as alleged by the perpetrator as a reason to assault her. (Here I think "alleged" is appropriate.)

Also, I find it surprising that news reports are omitting the fact (if it is) that this occurred on a nude charter. If it was a nude charter, that should be reported, but I suspect news outlets are afraid of being accused of blaming the victim. So they are keeping facts to themselves. I believe all the circumstances should be reported. And we should be able to discuss the circumstances without fear of being accused of siding with the criminal or blaming the victim.
*Disney Wonder - 14 days, 2013, Panama Canal
*Carnival Magic - 7 days, 2013, Caribbean
*Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas - 7 days, 2013, Christmas, Caribbean
*Norwegian Sun - 10 days, 2014, Caribbean
*Holland America Noordam - 22 days, 2014, Mediterranean

Old February 19th, 2014, 02:29 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptOhio View Post
Here is the Orlando Sentintal (newspaper) article on the story:

Cruise worker admits he raped, tried to throw passenger overboard, feds say...snip...

He told agents that he hid on the balcony and fell asleep on a chair there. When the woman returned, he went inside her room and immediately began choking her and punching her. He said he struck her with several items, including a laptop computer and a curling iron, and that he used a phone cord and curling iron cord to try to silence her screams and yells for help.

...snip...
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7727316.story
We wish the victim (not alleged victim) all our best and that she can recover physically and mentally as soon as possible.

While this entire incident is extremely disturbing, the part I've underlined above stands out. Falling asleep out on his victim's balcony isn't something an agitated person would do. This strikes me as the actions of someone entirely comfortable with what he is doing, or plans to do.

I find the implications by some here that the type of charter could have any bearing upon the crime (again, not alleged crime) reprehensible.

Old February 19th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Cruise Critic Host & Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Please post further discussion on this thread:

Cruise Passenger Assaulted on Holland America Cruise Ship

To contact me, hostwalt@cruisecritic.com

Closed Thread