Savory Bites

magenta321

I love these things so much that I got the recipe! My first day, we were in the Wind Jammer waiting for our room to be ready. A crew member came up to us and offered to sell the cookbook, offering 25% off, and he would get us any recipe we wanted, even one not in the cookbook. Off the top of my head, I asked for one of my ultimate favorites: Savory Bites!

I gave the recipe to my table mates too, because we all love them!

I don't see why not. I have the measurements for everything except the Savory Base. That part we'll have to wing. The guy from the WJ had the recipe delivered to my room and it said I needed "Savory Base" but it didn't have a recipe for it. The head waiter provided the ingredients to me, but not the amounts. I'd love the help of fellow CC members to figure that part out, as well as figuring out the steaming part. You'll see what I mean below!

25 lbs potato bread flour

2.5 lbs savory base

2 lbs margarine

5 oz dry yeast

7.5 liters water

Mix all ingredients for 2-3 minutes slow and 5-6 minutes fast speed until well developed. Rest the dough for 30 minutes. Scale into 16 oz pieces and preshape. Roll them on sheet pan long and dip in Poopy Seed, then put 9 pieces on one sheet pan. Store in freezer overnight. When ready to bake, defrost about 3 hours in the fridge, then cut them into small triangles. Place 9x6 on one sheet pan. Bake them between 220 degrees and 230 degrees Celsius, and steam for about 13-17 minutes until golden brown.

Savory Base

Potato Flour

Italian Herbs

Sun Dried Tomatoes

• 2 years later...

I actually made these today. I don't think I had my "savory base" quite right....too much sun-dried tomato. But, the rolls themselves were perfect.

I cut down the recipe to 1/20th of the original. For my savory base, I used 2/3 soft sun-dried tomatoes, 1/3 potato flour and some italian seasoning. I ran it all through the food processor until it was pretty much the consistency of flour. I think next time, I would reduce the sun-dried tomatoes to 1/2 or slightly less, and make up the rest with the flour/italian seasoning.

For the steam, I placed an empty baking pan in the oven as I preheated it. I put some water/ice into it just as I place my savory bites in, and I sprayed them with water as they were taking for the first 5 minutes.

For our first effort, we really enjoyed them!

• 4 years later...
On 8/17/2014 at 4:35 PM, Gardener5b said:

I actually made these today. I don't think I had my "savory base" quite right....too much sun-dried tomato. But, the rolls themselves were perfect.

I cut down the recipe to 1/20th of the original. For my savory base, I used 2/3 soft sun-dried tomatoes, 1/3 potato flour and some italian seasoning. I ran it all through the food processor until it was pretty much the consistency of flour. I think next time, I would reduce the sun-dried tomatoes to 1/2 or slightly less, and make up the rest with the flour/italian seasoning.

For the steam, I placed an empty baking pan in the oven as I preheated it. I put some water/ice into it just as I place my savory bites in, and I sprayed them with water as they were taking for the first 5 minutes.

For our first effort, we really enjoyed them!

Could you explain to me what the Savory base is please?

On 11/27/2011 at 2:44 PM, magenta321 said:

Roll them on sheet pan long and dip in Poopy Seed, then put 9 pieces on one sheet pan. Store in freezer overnight. 

I was all about it until the dipping in poopy seed. 

I know it was a misspelling (or hope it was), but it made me giggle. 

• 1 year later...