Question about the gym on Breakaway.

cruiseelady

I wanted to know is the gym free or not on this ship? I have read a review here on cruisecritic that kind of confused me because I thought that the gym was free. Meaning the equipment, not the class. I have no interest in classes anyway, just treadmills, ellipticals and all other strength training machines.

This is what got me confused: "Gym is 100% full before 9:00 am, and after 9:00am, it is available essentially only as a pay extra item. This was a first... whereby even the gym is "extra fee". "

If someone could clear up the confusion, I would appreciate it since I would like to try the Breakaway.

One thing I haven't been able to sort out is if there are showers in the gym. Everyone seems to talk about the spa showers, which carry a price. I have no interest in anything related to the spa, but would like to get a straight answer as to gym showers.

One thing I haven't been able to sort out is if there are showers in the gym. Everyone seems to talk about the spa showers, which carry a price. I have no interest in anything related to the spa, but would like to get a straight answer as to gym showers.

I would think they might have a couple showers in the gym. The spa showers are attached to mandara spa which you can buy a spa pass for the cruise and get unlimited access to saunas, hot tubs and lingers. Not worth the $$ IMO

We were interested to see many people,working out in regular clothes on BA last week. A woman in a dress and flip flops on the treadmill. A man in dress pants and a collared button down dress shirt, dress shoes on the bikes. We later saw him out in exactly the same outfit. I guess it saves him some time if he just dresses for the evening before working out! LOL

Gym is free. No showers to use.

Caution on classes- they add the 20% service charge just like they do at the spa.

I haven't done my BA review yet but I will also stick by my earlier review that the spa is simply not worth the price. Cramped layout, always crowded, not kept up well ( towels all over, cups all over). And when we toured a second time later in the cruise, main jacuzzi pool was closed all day on the 2nd to last sea day because the boat was rocking a bit. I would have been pissed if I paid $199 and couldn't use that area on a full sea day.

The gym on the BA is nice, but rather small for the amount of people on the ship. Their are NOT any public type showers near or around the gym. The only showers are in the spa and you can use them is you pay the weekly or daily fee

We were interested to see many people,working out in regular clothes on BA last week. A woman in a dress and flip flops on the treadmill. A man in dress pants and a collared button down dress shirt, dress shoes on the bikes. We later saw him out in exactly the same outfit. I guess it saves him some time if he just dresses for the evening before working out! LOL

Gym is free. No showers to use.

Caution on classes- they add the 20% service charge just like they do at the spa.

I haven't done my BA review yet but I will also stick by my earlier review that the spa is simply not worth the price. Cramped layout, always crowded, not kept up well ( towels all over, cups all over). And when we toured a second time later in the cruise, main jacuzzi pool was closed all day on the 2nd to last sea day because the boat was rocking a bit. I would have been pissed if I paid $199 and couldn't use that area on a full sea day.

I'm confused? Do you mean the Spa was closed for a full sea day, or was the jacuzzi closed. They often close the water areas, jacuzzi, pool, etc due to waves, but I've never noticed the spa closed?

DH and I used the spa every day on our cruise on the BA, and it was never crowded (only once were there a few other people in the pool), and it was always clean. We hit some waves on our way back to NYC (making us regret out Moderno reservations that last night), but the pool stayed open the whole time.

My biggest regret is that it will now be hard to sail without a spa pass! There were 1200 kids on board, so it was necessary.

The big jacuzzi pool was closed. The heated loungers and sauna/ steam were open.

Wow, they "often" close the jacuzzi/ pools??!?! Even more confirmation that this spa is worth nowhere near $199 pp per week. Yikes!

Context please! When the ship encounters rough seas, they often close the water areas. Rough seas are not common, hence pools/jacuzzi are rarely closed. Safety issues take precedence over everything else. You thought the seas didn't warrant closure, the ships officers felt differently.

I wanted to know is the gym free or not on this ship? I have read a review here on cruisecritic that kind of confused me because I thought that the gym was free. Meaning the equipment, not the class. I have no interest in classes anyway, just treadmills, ellipticals and all other strength training machines.

This is what got me confused: "Gym is 100% full before 9:00 am, and after 9:00am, it is available essentially only as a pay extra item. This was a first... whereby even the gym is "extra fee". "

If someone could clear up the confusion, I would appreciate it since I would like to try the Breakaway.

If Breakaway is like its sibling, Getaway, you will likely find a great many people using the treadmills and ellipticals in the morning hours. I certainly did. When I came back midday (we cruised three weeks ago), the cardio/weight rooms were almost empty.

Context please! When the ship encounters rough seas, they often close the water areas. Rough seas are not common, hence pools/jacuzzi are rarely closed. Safety issues take precedence over everything else. You thought the seas didn't warrant closure, the ships officers felt differently.

Umm, you are the one who said "they often close...." Not me. I was shocked the Jacuzzi pool in the spa was closed. the other pools on the ship were not so it was doubly weird. I am not saying at all it should have been open, just saying it didn't seem "rough" to me, so I was surprised. And , again, if I paid $199 to use a spa where the main "feature" of the pool/ Jacuzzi was closed, I'd be plenty pissed off (even if the seas warranted it). I hope people were offered some sort of refund.

Just to reiterate: The gym is free. You walk right in. No attendants. The facility is divided into a separate cardio room and weight room. In the early mornings, both are typically jammed. By 11 a.m. or so, no problems. The free-weight section of the weight room can be a bit tight at time, if it's crowded. The cardio room has a dazzling view of the ocean for the runners and elipticists. ;) The facility is closed on disembarkation day.

Just to reiterate: The gym is free. You walk right in. No attendants. The facility is divided into a separate cardio room and weight room. In the early mornings, both are typically jammed. By 11 a.m. or so, no problems. The free-weight section of the weight room can be a bit tight at time, if it's crowded. The cardio room has a dazzling view of the ocean for the runners and elipticists. ;) The facility is closed on disembarkation day.

Thanks. That makes it clear enough for me. I'm assuming that it is open 24 hrs a day (other than Disembarkation day) ??