Mini suites on the Gem-worth it or not?

B4andAFT

We are sailing on the Gem next year and are thinking of booking a mini suite instead of a balcony. I know that they are bigger, but I'm concerned because they are on Deck 11. Deck 12 has the gym, pools, restaurants etc. Will there be too much noise to be able to enjoy the cabin? Are there some we should definitely avoid? These boards are always so helpful when it comes to making decisions like this---lots of experienced cruisers. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Mary

If you're concerned about the noise, just do what I did - choose a cabin on the starboard side of deck 11, that's underneath the quiet rooms of deck 12 (Library, Card Room, Hair Salon, etc.). I had absolutely no issue with noise in a mini-suite there.

On both Dawn class and Jewel class ships it's important to check the deck plans of deck 11 and 12 side by side when choosing a mini-suite.

Johnql already gave great advice about mini-suites in starboard fwd, here are few other possibilities:

We have been happiest in a mini-suite on our latest cruise on Jade where we had three MB category minisuites under the Italian restaurant's dining area (safe cabins are between 11622-11634). That was excellent location both in terms of lack of disturbing noise from above and also the accessibility to Garden Cafe and Great Outdoors.

IMO the worst noise generating areas on deck 12 are the sun deck itself (dragging of furniture while cleaning at wee hours, we really disliked that on Jewel's 11534) and the galleys of Garden Cafe and Italian restaurant (above cabins 11594-11618)

We are on the Jewel in a few weeks and had opportunity to upgrade to Mini-suite GTY from mid-ship Balcony. Had never gone GTY before but decided to take a chance this time. Was enticed by the extra room in the cabin. My sister, the Elder, is a cabin dweller and thought it was worth it. Only $30 dollars each for the upgrade. Ended up only being $50 total. We were advised not to make the switch because you never know... Well, waited and waited and waited for Cabin assignment. Finally, Cabin #11128. Very far in back of ship but close to elevators, and above/below the eating venues. Also, the Elder smokes so she will be able to get to smoking areas hopefully.

Noises don't seem to bother us so not too worried about that. I just hope we are happy with it all. First time on NCL for us.

Its all a great adventure, after all.

Take Care all.

Jodie

Just off of a mini-suite on the GEM. The rooms are a tad larger, but I go more the upgraded bathroom!! We were in 11604, and rarely heard a thing from above us - def nothing to keep me up/wake me up. And I'm the lightest of sleepers! Was in a room below the pool on the GA, and deck chairs being dragged around and set up at 6am ever day woke me up. ugh.

We sometimes heard the ping from shuffleboard when we were on our balcony, but it was kind of a fun vacation-y soundtrack! lol

Edited by laurabegorrah

We had a mini-suite in April and loved it. There were 4 of us and our room was 11564, my parents had the connecting room. My parents complained of hearing noise, we never heard a thing!!! Seriously. LOL We are heavier sleepers I think, I don't know. But we were under the Splash Academy or Kids Pool, I'm not even sure.

We loved the convenience of being so near the stairs & elevators. We were one deck away from the buffet and pool. It was so easy to run up and get a snack or to run down and grab something if were at the pool.

The room itself, while cozy for 4 (2 adults, 14yr old boy & 7 yr old boy) was just fine. We had plenty of storage and really liked the bathroom set up. The toilet had a door you could slide closed, making it easy to shower and allow for someone to use the bathroom if necessary. The balcony was a nice size as well. We wouldn't hesitate to book that room again. But we don't plan on going on the Gem again anyway. LOL

Thank you for the great advice. We ended up choosing a forward mini just aft of the forward stairs. It looks like it is below the fitness center #11516. Hopefully, we made a good choice. If not, let me know; hopefully I could switch.

Mary:)

Thank you for the great advice. We ended up choosing a forward mini just aft of the forward stairs. It looks like it is below the fitness center #11516. Hopefully, we made a good choice. If not, let me know; hopefully I could switch.

I hate to break it to you but that would not be my choice. It's the wrong side of the ship. Being under the fitness center means that you're susceptible to lots of noisy activity - early morning workouts, treadmill noise, etc. If it's not too late to change your cabin, I would try to move to the starboard side of the ship (assuming you want to stay far forward).

We were last on the Gem in 11 for Bermuda( last sail of the season). We did an Aft starboard balcony since I was the CC meet ( M&G) up organizer, we were upgraded anyway,..if you see Sinan tell him "Dr Football" from( Formerly Long Island) said Hi,..we had him on a Carib. Cruise the year before, but Johnny "Cash" was our CD for Bermuda since Sinan was on vacation...

Retired from solving other People's Problems

CWO-4 US Army Retired/Medical

NSDQ!!!

We were last on the Gem in 11 for Bermuda( last sail of the season). We did an Aft starboard balcony since I was the CC meet ( M&G) up organizer, we were upgraded anyway,..if you see Sinan tell him "Dr Football" from( Formerly Long Island) said Hi,..we had him on a Carib. Cruise the year before, but Johnny "Cash" was our CD for Bermuda since Sinan was on vacation...

NSDQ!!!

I believe Sinan has left NCL. I never had him on a cruise but there was a separate thread about him leaving about a year ago.

I hate to break it to you but that would not be my choice. It's the wrong side of the ship. Being under the fitness center means that you're susceptible to lots of noisy activity - early morning workouts, treadmill noise, etc. If it's not too late to change your cabin, I would try to move to the starboard side of the ship (assuming you want to stay far forward).

I agree with johnql. You'll be right under the fitness center, not a good choice imho for the reasons already stated, and if you can change, I would do so.

(Speaking only for my spouse and myself, our preference is to book a cabin that has a cabin above and below it. On the Jewel class ships, Deck 10 is our favorite.)

Have a great cruise.

Edited by Turtles06

NSDQ!!!

I believe Sinan has left NCL. I never had him on a cruise but there was a separate thread about him leaving about a year ago.

Yes, Sinan left NCL for Celebrity in June. He was the Ass't CD on one of our NCL cruises and I thought he was fantastic; I was not surprised when he was promoted to CD. (Hey Dr. Football -- I think we were on the same Bermuda cruise. At any rate, we loved Johnny "Cash" Sanchez. What a great guy.)

On both Dawn class and Jewel class ships it's important to check the deck plans of deck 11 and 12 side by side when choosing a mini-suite.

Johnql already gave great advice about mini-suites in starboard fwd, here are few other possibilities:

We have been happiest in a mini-suite on our latest cruise on Jade where we had three MB category minisuites under the Italian restaurant's dining area (safe cabins are between 11622-11634). That was excellent location both in terms of lack of disturbing noise from above and also the accessibility to Garden Cafe and Great Outdoors.

IMO the worst noise generating areas on deck 12 are the sun deck itself (dragging of furniture while cleaning at wee hours, we really disliked that on Jewel's 11534) and the galleys of Garden Cafe and Italian restaurant (above cabins 11594-11618)

Glad to hear you were happy with 11622-11634, we are booked into 11624 next july and I was a little bit worried about the potential noise.

Dave

I agree with johnql. You'll be right under the fitness center, not a good choice imho for the reasons already stated, and if you can change, I would do so.

(Speaking only for my spouse and myself, our preference is to book a cabin that has a cabin above and below it. On the Jewel class ships, Deck 10 is our favorite.)

Have a great cruise.

Thank you. We decided not to chance it and booked a balcony on Deck 10. It's our favorite deck too!;)