Question on using points on RC Visa Card

royal girl

I want to use 50,000 points either towards a cruise for two (4 night) or $500 towards payment on a cruise (have a cruise booked for 2013 already)

If I use the points on a cruise for two, does this cover the taxes and port fees also? Or do you pay that? (Thinking of Majesty cruise in November 2012)

If I use the points towards payment, it seems that I can't redeem the $500 until I make final payment on my cruise booked for August 2013. Is that correct?

Thanks.

I have never used my points for a free cruise...but I'm pretty sure they do not cover port fees & taxes..

If you use your points for money off you can redeem it any time...does not have to be at final payment...and you can use more than one certificate to reduce your balance owed also...

I always used my points for onboard credit. We always spend a lot on the ship, so the OBC was the best use of our $

I was thinking of getting the RCCL credit card- how does it work when using points for OBC? Is it difficult to use the points?

I was thinking of getting the RCCL credit card- how does it work when using points for OBC? Is it difficult to use the points?

Not difficult at all...they generally give 10-15,000 bonus points for signing up for the card..OBC is $50 for every 5,000 points redeemed...and there is a link right on the RCL page for redeeming your points...you get 1 point for every $1 charged on regular purchases...2 points for every $1 spent on RCL purchases either booking a cruise or using for onboard purchases...

You have to do the math. In a lot of cases, we get way more bang for the buck by doing the companion fare then just using it to pay for OBC or $$ off the cruise. So determine what your base fare is - not including taxes. If the min avail OV is more than $500, then do the cruise. If it is less, then do the $$ off the cruise. We have done both, just depends on what deal is better.

Can you use points for the upgrade and still cruise in a balcony (obviously paying the difference)? Or do you have to sail in an OV to use points for the upgrade? How does this work when using a TA to book the cruise?

Thanks for all your great info !

Can you use points for the upgrade and still cruise in a balcony (obviously paying the difference)? Or do you have to sail in an OV to use points for the upgrade? How does this work when using a TA to book the cruise?

Thanks for all your great info !

We booked a JS on the Majesty last year and then applied the 50k points to that booking. They credited us the value of a minimum OV at the time of our original booking. They ended up deducting $876 from our balance once they received the points request. We then continued paying on the remaining balance. For us, the $876 value was better than the equivalent $500 in OBC or booking discount.

We book directly with RCI so I'm not sure how it would work with TA.

Does anyone know if you can get double points when sailing with Celebrity or one of the other RCI lines? (using the card to pay for the cruise) Or does it just get the double points for Royal Caribbean cruises?

Just works on RCL.

Just booked yesterday thru TA. Told her ahead of time that I would be using visa points to reduce cost of cruise. Make sure your are upfront with TA. I've heard some get their commission cut and therefore won't help you.

Anyway, after booming I logged into RCI BOA sister and went into redemption. Requested amounts and got confirmation. My TA then had me email them to her, she told me she had to process them. She told me it will take a couple days. Will confirm once they are applied, but I don't foresee any problem

I haven't saved mine long enough for 50k points, but so far have always come out better redeeming 15k for the inside to ov upgrade. Recently took $140pp off my March cruise, which is $130 better than the $150 OBC.

One note of warning doing this:

I used to use my points in this manner. On a 2010 cruise, the prices kept dropping for my sailing. I called to get the lower rate (it was before final payment) and ran into a problem. Reservations sees that you have booked a OCEAN VIEW CABIN. That's ALL they see. In YOUR mind, you've booked an INSIDE cabin, but used points to UPGRADE to OV. But if prices drop and you request the lower cost, they will want to discount you to the current OV CABIN cost, NOT the INSIDE cabin cost. My TA had to go round and round to get it straightened out. Eventually they did discount me to the current INSIDE cabin fare, but it was a major hassle. Just something to keep in mind.

$347, but since you have to use it in 5,000 point increments, you have $300 spendable right now. You can accumulate points up to five years before they start to expire. your first points may begin to expire next August, but they do not all expire at once, only the oldest ones - month by month.

Archived