So where should we go for breakfast?

calicostorms

This question gets asked about once a week. The standard answers are:

Mother's Restaurant

Camellia Grill

Ruby Slipper

Cafe Du Monde

We have no idea where you are staying and what is your budget. You will find plenty of options depending on your location and budget. What about your party size and age? I would suggest some different locations if you were an adventurous foodie couple than if you were the typical suburban family of 4 looking for the typical sausage and eggs breakfast for under $10pp.

Edited by nolatravelgirl

I will take suggestions please...6 adults with adventurous palates and moderate budgets.

What is moderate to you? This is a very subjective topic. Will you have a car? Will you be in downtown/warehouse district/FQ/Metairie/Airport, etc? Do you want breakfast cocktails? Do you need have any restrictions?

Thanks nolatravelgirl

We are a family of 4 (2 teenagers) and like both adventurous or standard fare - all pretty easy going really.

Will be staying in Gretna area but will have our car so no trouble if we have a short drive.

As far as price - maybe $10 - $15max each (plan on a few small splurges and a great breakfast would be a fun way to start the vacation in my opinion...)

Thanks again

Thanks nolatravelgirl

We are a family of 4 (2 teenagers) and like both adventurous or standard fare - all pretty easy going really.

Will be staying in Gretna area but will have our car so no trouble if we have a short drive.

As far as price - maybe $10 - $15max each (plan on a few small splurges and a great breakfast would be a fun way to start the vacation in my opinion...)

Thanks again

If you want sit down breakfast verses grab and go, you are going to be pretty limited in that price range. As rsullivan suggests your best bet in that price range is Camellia Grill. You will be hitting the 15 mark once you include beverages, tax and tip. There are no tables, just stools around a U shaped bar. With a party of 6 they may ask you if you wish to split your party up or you could be waiting a long time for 6 stools in a row to open up. I personally never minded splitting up, when we were kids and go there it was always fun to either get alone time with Mom or Dad. i had sister, so it wasn't like one person was eating alone. Favorite was always Dad since he would let me order a "freeze" and a plate of fries after going see a play at the Saenger. There is the original uptown and a newer one in the Quarter.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-grill-new-orleans

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-camellia-grill-new-orleans

OK so far I have looked at Camilla and Ruby Slippers and have to say that the Ruby Slipper has my curiosity peaked. I will have to budget for it but I am voting for that one. Will let the family review the other choices but I think they will like that one too.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Mena's Palace on Chartres St is a great place where the locals go for breakfast and lunch. I've been there with my friend whom lives in the Quarter on his recommendation several times. Also for local color or maybe I should say camp, the Clover Grill on Bourbon can't be beat.

What is moderate to you? This is a very subjective topic. Will you have a car? Will you be in downtown/warehouse district/FQ/Metairie/Airport, etc? Do you want breakfast cocktails? Do you need have any restrictions?

No car, staying at embassy pre cruise and FQ post cruise, moderate budget is under 100 dollars per couple...including morning champagne. Love trying regional cuisine and new foods...no restrictions

No car, staying at embassy pre cruise and FQ post cruise, moderate budget is under 100 dollars per couple...including morning champagne. Love trying regional cuisine and new foods...no restrictions

In that price range you could enjoy a nice brunch at the Palace Cafe or Cafe Adelaide. Palace Cafe is only open for brunch on Sundays but will offer lots more in the regional cuisine. It is also more expensive.

http://www.palacecafe.com/menus/2899

http://www.cafeadelaide.com/brunch-menu.html

I also like the Court of Two Sisters. The buffet is gigantic, but they get a huge crowd so the food is constantly being turned over. The atmosphere is a bit more casual and brunch is served daily. There are a lot of unique dishes, so you can taste a lot of different things and if something doesn't tickle your fancy you can try something else.

http://www.courtoftwosisters.com/jazz-brunch.html

Some locals we met on one trip recommended Stanley on multiple occasions. We are not foodies and opt for something like Camellia Grill so I cannot speak to whether Stanley is great or not. Just adding it to the pile of options. :)
Stanley's is right on Jackson Square so it does have great location with lots of people watching. It was good, but I wasn't blown away. It is definitely a step down from the 3 recommendations I had above for the couple who was looking in the $100 range. Stanley is in the same class as the Ruby Slipper, but I would pick The Ruby Slipper any day over Stanley's

Thanks for the follow up nolatravelgirl. I'm definitely out of my element when it comes to recommending foodie/upscale places. We tend to go to comfort food places with a much lower price point. In fact, the Stanley $10 pancakes were more than I would spend on pancakes which is why we did not go there. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We're looking for breakfast too. Two Adults, moderate price ($5-$20 a piece) and we're staying at the Renaissance New Orleans Arts Hotel in the Warehouse District. Any ideas?

OK so far I have looked at Camilla and Ruby Slippers and have to say that the Ruby Slipper has my curiosity peaked. I will have to budget for it but I am voting for that one. Will let the family review the other choices but I think they will like that one too.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Breakfast at the Ruby Slipper was delightful. We really enjoyed the experience. The biggest deterent is the long line down the block to get in. It's a very popular place! I used my time wisely in line and made several friends. We swapped funny stories and laughed a lot. Then the time flew by much faster. ;)

• 2 weeks later...