canopy tour vs. zipline tour/ocho rios

warriorwatcher

I can't find anything about someone having first-hand experience with one of these tours in Ocho Rios. The canopy tour (called something like "Original Canopy Tour") is only able to be booked through the cruise line, but the other zipline tour is through Island Marketing Ltd. - Jamaica Cruise Excursions - and is called the "Jamaica Adventure Retreat." It includes a zip line "ride," an ATV ride, then a Jamaican lunch.

Has anyone ever done either one of these? We are a couple in our early 40's with a 18 y.o. son and 14 y.o. daughter - both of whom are very active and athletic and we are cruising in late March. I have a cousin that did a similar canopy tour in Costa Rica and thought it was fabulous, but didn't know about Ocho Rios. THANKS for any help -

I can't find anything about someone having first-hand experience with one of these tours in Ocho Rios. The canopy tour (called something like "Original Canopy Tour") is only able to be booked through the cruise line, but the other zipline tour is through Island Marketing Ltd. - Jamaica Cruise Excursions - and is called the "Jamaica Adventure Retreat." It includes a zip line "ride," an ATV ride, then a Jamaican lunch.

Has anyone ever done either one of these? We are a couple in our early 40's with a 18 y.o. son and 14 y.o. daughter - both of whom are very active and athletic and we are cruising in late March. I have a cousin that did a similar canopy tour in Costa Rica and thought it was fabulous, but didn't know about Ocho Rios. THANKS for any help -

I looked into both of these for our cruise coming up next month...from what I could tell the ATV/Zip was "tamer" (Island Marketing) then the Canopy tour (though the ship). Island Marketing advertise one 440 ft zip line and another 12 foot drop (after you climb a pole to free fall 12 feet) and thats really all they advertise. I was actually wondering if the zip lines were just from man made poles, only because I saw one picture that looked that way. Then you get to go on some trails with ATV's. I highly doubt that is anything other then following a guide on some trails on the property? Then the lunch and you also get to walkt he grounds and hear about what kinda herbs they are using in your lunch.

We personally decided to do the zip lines with the ship (Carnival) due to it looked a tad more "wicked" The 4 kids with us (18-20 y/o) want the wildest rides. (eek! one of the lines is 600 ft long) And we all own ATV's and putting around behind a guide is kinda lame for us.

The Island Marketing excursion is 5 hours and the crusie ship is 4 hours. So Island Marketing you do a lot more then just the canopy tour but are only there for an hour longer? hmm...maybe a tad tame for those looking for more of a adventure through natural surroundings. Just my opinion though..I am so looking forward to the canopy tour, even though I am scared to death!

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

The Original Canopy tour was awesome...it is the tour you must book thru the ship. There are no telephone poles to climb in the jungle!!! It was by far one of the best excursions we've ever taken!

I have seen the other 'zipline' tour that is combined with the ATV, etc. The participants must first climb a telephone pole, then the actual ropes look like they really sag down a lot as you zip across.

This is NOT how the Canopy Tour was. There was no major physical strength needed (as in climbing a telephone pole). Since you are on a mountain, the area is hilly/sloped with a platform on the side of a hill. You just hook up & take off. It was very safe...the ropes/course gets a safety check daily. For a group of about 20 people, we had 6 guides. The ropes did NOT sag the way the did in the pictures of the Island Marketing zipline. They sag a little w/the weight of a person...but not dramatically.

If you want to do a zipline, I would do the Original Canopy tour. Just me 2cents.

Sounds great, do you think my 9 yr old could do it? He was really disappointed last yr when he didn't get to do one in Belize. He would have been able to do it, age wise. I am not sure about the age with this one?

Anymore info about the excusion would be great. Thanks.

hello, just got off the conquest last sunday and we did the canopy tour in

montego bay thru the ship, it was great, really fun and kinda of exhilarating, we are a couple each 42. the guides were great and helpful and felt very safe all the time. i dont know the age limit, but there is a weight limit of 275lbs max. some of the lighter women didnt make it all the way across on some the trips across but just had to pull themselves 5-10 feet to the next platform, no biggy, bus driver was informative and afterwards took us over to margaritaville for an hour and a half and brought us back to the ship in time. the canopy tour is $109 per person but well worth it, once in a lifetime experience. see ya jeff in okc, ive got some pics if want me to email them to you, email me at hohne2@flash.net

The Original Canopy tour was awesome...it is the tour you must book thru the ship. There are no telephone poles to climb in the jungle!!! It was by far one of the best excursions we've ever taken!

I have seen the other 'zipline' tour that is combined with the ATV, etc. The participants must first climb a telephone pole, then the actual ropes look like they really sag down a lot as you zip across.

This is NOT how the Canopy Tour was. There was no major physical strength needed (as in climbing a telephone pole). Since you are on a mountain, the area is hilly/sloped with a platform on the side of a hill. You just hook up & take off. It was very safe...the ropes/course gets a safety check daily. For a group of about 20 people, we had 6 guides. The ropes did NOT sag the way the did in the pictures of the Island Marketing zipline. They sag a little w/the weight of a person...but not dramatically.

If you want to do a zipline, I would do the Original Canopy tour. Just me 2cents.

Thank you so much for the information. I was undecided between Martha Brae Raft and Canopy tour. Your 2 cents have made me decide on the canopy. My 17 DD will be So happy. Again, thank you.

Sounds great, do you think my 9 yr old could do it? He was really disappointed last yr when he didn't get to do one in Belize. He would have been able to do it, age wise. I am not sure about the age with this one?

Anymore info about the excusion would be great. Thanks.

idec 102-

Unfortunately, the cruise line (which is the only way you can do the Original Canopy Tour in Ocho) has an age requirement and a 9 yr. old will not be allowed to sign up. :(

weRready2go-

I'm so glad that my comments helped with your decision. I did A LOT of reading on the boards here before I made my decision. You'll have a blast!:)

• 2 weeks later...

I did the "Original Canopy Tour" in Belize through Carnival. The lady that runs the one in Jamaica was there opening the one in Belize and she was wonderful. I was scared when I booked it, but it was VERY professional and I am thinking of taking my kids older kids on it when we dock in Montego Bay.

Archived