Celiac disease i need gluten free food

soniccruisers

You should contact the Special services dept of the cruise line or if you used a TA they can do it for you

You should do it well in advance of your cruise

Then when you board check with the Maitre'd to be sure they have you down for GF

At the buffet ask to speak to the Chef they can tell you what is safe to eat for you

Hello. Welcome to CC/HAL Forum. Happy you found us.

I agree about Contacting Special Services 60 days in advance of boarding, if you have that much time before your cruise, and speak with Dining Room Manager or Asst Supervisor assigned to your dining section.

Glutton free diets have become so common today. Seems more and more people are avoiding gluten. You should find plenty of food you will eat.

Edited by sail7seas

With Celiac disease, I understand, you cannot have any gluten products touch anything you eat. You should definitely notify the cruise line before you depart. You should also talk to the Maitre d' as soon as you can after you board, and explain your limitations very clearly. And you should talk to the head person in the buffet.

We found very helpful responses from all these people for my daughter (gluten intolerant but not Celiac) when we sailed. The waiters at the table warned her away from choices. My friend, who is Celiac, was presented with the dinner menu each night beforehand, and advised about the choices. Once the catering staff were aware of her diet limitations, they could not have been more helpful. But let everyone know in advance, and work with them. You will have a great cruise and not get sick!

You should tell the maître'd when you get to the dining room. Then the hostess will let you know what you can & can't eat the next night. On our last Carnival cruise a tablemate didn't know to tell them. After we told her to & she did they even brought her gluten free rolls she could and did eat! They made them just for her!

Edited by Bonnie J.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You or your TA should contact your cruise line concerning your food problem.

They will send you a list of the foods that you can order from. Foods are not labeled in the buffets as to what is gluten free. You will not get a chance to talk to a cook -- there are many of them on a ship and one can not be assigned to you for your food requests.

I am coeliac & cruised Princess in March, they do gf very well. I filled in my dietary requirements in my cruise personilizer, I then received an email back saying it was noted. They were well aware of my needs in the dining room before I even mentioned it. Each night the next days menu was brought to me by the head waiter, I had to choose lunch & dinner for the next day. We ate breakfast in the main dining room as well, safer than the buffet. Im sure your cruise line will do similar. [emoji572]

SO I have to ask, out of curiosity, are not people worried about cost contamination?

We are not allergic or gluten intolerant but I know people that are..... some SEVERELY and they always talk about cross contamination.

So how do they keep that under wraps?

Be aware that your choice may be to have your fish, chicken, side dishes, etc. plain. They probably will not be cooking a substitute gluten free sauce. I saw a post several years back with someone warning that almost all sauces had some sort of gluten in it. But as others have said, if you choose wisely and work with the wait staff you should be able to do this, even if you have to enjoy the food more because you did not have to cook it than for the gormet value.

If you are so sensitive to worry about cross contamination, then I would eat lunch and breakfast in the dining room also.

Having just returned from NCL, each night before dinner the wait staff asked if anyone had food allergies. Of course Celiac Disease is far more serious than a mere allergy, but it's good to know they are on top of these issues and do their best to keep US on our toes. I am severely allergic to ****ake mushrooms and ordered a dish in a specialty restaurant. He was able to substitute button mushrooms, and it was delicious. They had gluten free tortillas available at the taco bar, but you had to ask for them.

Sent from my H55H-3.8L using Tapatalk

I would suggest you consider Celebrity .you will get kitchen tour for allergies,discussion with a chef on a daily basis to understand and our get a gluten free meal ,a tour of the buffet to identify all gluten free plates and get the possibility of doing special selection . You will fell pampered i know my friend did

I cannot eat gluten(wheat). Do I need to notify the ship before I board to assure I get safe food? Will food be labeled for allergies? Do I wait and talk to a cook to inquire about my food needs?

Can you help me anyone??

Contact your cruise line. They are well prepared to help you with this.

SO I have to ask, out of curiosity, are not people worried about cost contamination?

We are not allergic or gluten intolerant but I know people that are..... some SEVERELY and they always talk about cross contamination.

So how do they keep that under wraps?

By being first in line at the buffet, seriously.

DD has allergy cards. We had no problem traveling in Italy using these.

We traveled on Celebrity with my DD and her food allergies. They did a great job with meals for her, and in the buffet we just found one of the Asst Matre'Ds who would get some items from the back to eliminate cross-contamination issues.

Just speak up.