Portland Maine shore excursions

Joyful01

I'm looking for "must do" activities when I visit Portland on my Silverseas cruise in October. What do you recommend?:)

The town it self is a must do . Very walkable .

Check out the Ship yard brewery , The Flatbread pizza co. or Grab a Maine lobster for lunch almost any place . :)

The train ride next to the dock looks to be popular too .:D

Edited by biker@sea

We enjoyed Portland as port call several times....... enough that we returned and spent a weekend. It is very walkable and the rehab of the city was done very well in our opinion.

Be sure and have a lobster lunch. :)

And New England ice cream.

DON

:confused: I've lived in New England my whole life and have no idea what 'New England ice cream' is. :D What makes it different than any

other ice cream?

Rent a car and drive to Freeport and then to some of the smaller coastal towns.

DON

Kennebunkport, Maine is beautiful and is about a half hour by car.

Also consider visiting the Seashore Trolley Museum.

:confused: I've lived in New England my whole life and have no idea what 'New England ice cream' is. :D What makes it different than any

other ice cream?

Maybe the milk comes from New England cows :D

We are in Maine and enjoy walking the Old Port right near the pier. (Find a map online.)

There are many restaurants on Commercial St. (with fresh seafood) and there are small shops between Commercial and Congress St. The Museum is on Congress.

Enjoy your time in Portland and on your cruise.

This is my hometown and I am often down in the Old Port when the ships come in. That's where I walk my Great Dane.

Here are the highlights IMO:

Portland?

Walk and shop and eat in the Old Port. Many boutiques and many restaurants. Very quaint.

Lobster roll and clam chowder? Go to Gilbert's on Commercial St. (Boone's is next door.) Nice, but pricey. my fav is Walter's. just ask someone for directions. All of the Old Port is very walkable.

Fried clams? DiMillo's, a little further up on Commercial St.

Duck Tour is fun. And, many boat tours to the various islands in Casco Bay.

Forget the Narrow Gauge Railroad.

Our museum is lovely, especially if you like Winslow Homer.

Don't miss Portland Head Light when you sail out of the harbor.

Freeport? (1/2 hour drive north)

LLBean is the star there and the store is amazing! They will ship any purchases free. The rest of Freeport is outlet shops for the most part. Yes, if you like shopping. But, it is very crowded in October with leaf peepers and bus tours.

Kennebunkport? (1/2 hour drive south)

Beautiful seaside town.

Bush summer home (you can get a look from the road but can't get near it.)

Leaf Peeping? Rent a car and head up Route 302 towards North Conway, NH.

Ogunquit Beach? (1 hour south) and doable with Kennebunkport. Great seaside town, very gay friendly. Lots of shops and restaurants. Beach is one of the loveliest in Maine. Walk Marginal Way. http://marginalwayfund.org/

All excellent advice from Donder. The natives always know the best spots to see. We are from North Conway and it is spectacular during foliage season, but be advised that the traffic is horrible. Bumper to bumper for miles. It would be difficult driving back to Portland. Also, the Fryeburg Fair is going on during the first week or so of October and it adds to the traffic mess. I would plan to stick to the pretty things to do and see in and around Portland and save the leaf-peeping for when you have lots of time and patience. I work on the White Mountain National Forest and it can take me 30 minutes to drive 4 miles from my office to my home.