Changing analogies - Baseball and Airlines

FlyerTalker

Times change. I guess the same holds true for analogies. Or disconnected analogies.

I've often said here that buying an airline ticket is different than buying a concert ticket or a baseball ticket. That the dynamic pricing mechanisms for airline ticket prices rendered comparisons to other purchase processes (such as baseball tickets) as inaccurate.

I'm going to have to find a new analogy pair to use. From the Seattle Times:

When the Mariners put single-game tickets on sale Saturday morning, fans may not notice a lot different from previous seasons. Pick a seat, get out your credit card and lock in your purchase.

In fact, a lot has changed. Fans may buy the same ticket a week later and pay more. Or less.

Welcome to "dynamic pricing," the next big thing in the sports industry.

That system, also known as demand-based pricing, has been used for years in the airline and hotel industries. Buy a plane ticket early and you might pay less, and if you're flexible on dates, you might save even more.

For the Mariners, the price of each game ticket throughout the season can fluctuate based on how attractive fans perceive it to be. Call it a new form of "Moneyball," in which the amount of money being paid to watch a game is determined partly by computer analysis.

And it is not just the Mariners. Maybe the airline's have had it right all along and other businesses are just catching up. Eh?

You can read the whole story HERE.

I know that for several years now, the Blue Jays have charged more for a Yankees or a Red Sox game than they would for say, the Royals or A's. However they haven't gone so far as to raise the price of an A's game if it was selling well. Yet anyway. I was talking to my dad last week, who's spending a couple months in the Tampa area, and asked if he was going to take in some games. He mentioned that the Yankees have different price ranges at spring training games based on who they are playing.

I HATE baseball and even though the Cactus League is big time in Az, we never go. But this is sure true of the Arizona Cardinals and the KC Chiefs in regards to pricing. Some games you pay more for a single seat due to who the competition is. Raiders/Chiefs-PREMIUM prices for the game (I think everyone wants to watch the fights in the stands rather than the game).

And if Peyton Manning comes to AZ, watch out. Some of the games will be out of reach of the average person.

Thinking about it I guess it is a matter of time that this would happen. The going rate for tickets on stub hub for some events is quite a bit over the face value. A friend of mine has a standing order for the Fesita Bowl and typically make money every year. I suppose the teams themselves want in on that action.

I know that the plan is to reduce the capacity of Sun Devil Stadium for the same reason that the airlines reduce capacity.

I can't stand baseball either but do like going to baseball games. Weird interest that I have of stadium/arena architecture.

So if the Mariners are adopting "dynamic pricing" for single-game tickets, given their recent performance, seats for a September night game v. the Royals or As ought to be priced in the minus tens of dollars. With a free pass to the lounge and a complimentary beer or two.

So if the Mariners are adopting "dynamic pricing" for single-game tickets, given their recent performance, seats for a September night game v. the Royals or As ought to be priced in the minus tens of dollars. With a free pass to the lounge and a complimentary beer or two.

If they tossed in some FF miles, we could have a CC CruiseAir forum party.

Archived