Princess cruises eggplant parmigiana recipe

Spender Nui

My brother and his girlfriend just got off the Ruby and brought the Princess cookbook home. I paged through it yesterday and saw an eggplant parmesan recipe. So if anyone has the cookbook, maybe they can scan it in for you. They live in another town so I don't have access anymore:( It is a beautiful book by the way:)

although their eggplant was good, it was too mushy for me. My family recipe is very easy:

slice the egglplant very very thin (most important step-the rest is fail proof).

Heat veggie oil about an inch or so deep in a heavy skillet.

Scramble up some eggs. Add a little water, salt, pepper, parsley, basil, garlic powder and a handful of parmesan cheese. beat well.

in a shallow dish, put some flour. Add salt, pepper, parsley, and garlic powder.

coat the eggplant with the flour well and then dip in the egg and right into the hot oil (if you drop a drip of egg into the oil first it should instantly sizzle up). Takes only a few minutes. flip when you see the edges brown. Drain on paper towels. Protect it from being eaten before it makes the bakiing dish (1/2 of mine will be eaten right off the paper towels).

Guarantee it's better than the mushy stuff. Layer it up with your favorite sauce, sprinkle of grated cheese (I like Romano), and top with some mozzarella. Bake til bubbly in 350, about 20-30 minutes. Enjoy

although their eggplant was good, it was too mushy for me. My family recipe is very easy:

slice the egglplant very very thin (most important step-the rest is fail proof).

Scramble up some eggs. Add a little water, salt, pepper, parsley, basil, garlic powder and a handful of parmesan cheese. beat well.

in a shallow dish, put some flour. Add salt, pepper, parsley, and garlic powder.

coat the eggplant with the flour well and then dip in the egg and right into the hot oil (if you drop a drip of egg into the oil first it should instantly sizzle up). Takes only a few minutes. flip when you see the edges brown. Drain on paper towels. Protect it from being eaten before it makes the bakiing dish (1/2 of mine will be eaten right off the paper towels).

Guarantee it's better than the mushy stuff. Layer it up with your favorite sauce, sprinkle of grated cheese (I like Romano), and top with some mozzarella. Bake til bubbly in 350, about 20-30 minutes. Enjoy

Ahhhhh ya can't go wrong with a recipe from a nice Italian girl from West Haven :) (I am in Stratford)

That is pretty much my Moms recipe(and now mine too,) and it is THE BEST.

I don't know how Princess serves it, but get a nice crusty loaf of Italian bread and make a nice sandwich :)

Most important MAKE YOUR OWN SAUCE!!!!!!!!!!!

Using sauce from a jar in my family is like driving out to the cemetary and spitting on my grandmothers grave *LOL*

I just checked my "COURSES" cookbook the recipe for eggplant parmesan they are featuring in the cookbook is not what they are serving on the ship these days ! However, if you want it I'll scan it when I get to work on Monday .

Lenore:)

to dcrow72 and babyher, my sicilian grandmother's recipe calls for dredging the eggplant in breadcrumb after dipping it in the egg , its also hard to resist eating just out of the hot oil!

I just checked my "COURSES" cookbook the recipe for eggplant parmesan they are featuring in the cookbook is not what they are serving on the ship these days ! However, if you want it I'll scan it when I get to work on Monday .

Lenore:)

to dcrow72 and babyher, my sicilian grandmother's recipe calls for dredging the eggplant in breadcrumb after dipping it in the egg , its also hard to resist eating just out of the hot oil!

My Moms specialty is taking a meatball (just make your regular meatball recipe) flatten it. Put it between two slices of eggplant , dip it in egg and then bread crumb and parmesan cheese mixed together, and then frying it.

OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recently returned from the Emerald Princess where my wife claims she had the best eggplant parmigiana she's ever had. Anyone have the recipe and willing to share?

I also love the eggplant parm and order it as an entree. It is different from ship to ship. Try this link to e-mail them for the recipe. I have used it in the past and usually get an answer in a few days. :)

http://www.princess.com/customer_care/emailform.jsp?cat=GI&subcat=s1&subject=Request%20for%20Recipes%20and%20Bar/Wine%20Information

Just had to say- a real Italian makes gravy not sauce.

It took a l o n g time for me to convince the guy I married that it was "gravy" not sauce. :) Now that I'm living in the south, it's become a real chore to find certain things like Escarole and fried whole belly clams.

Sounds delicious! Will you make me some?

It took a l o n g time for me to convince the guy I married that it was "gravy" not sauce. :) Now that I'm living in the south, it's become a real chore to find certain things like Escarole and fried whole belly clams.

You can keep the clams I do make a good escarole soup. Just like Grandma herself..;)

Hi Neighbor:

I'm nearby in Orange and your receipt sounds yummy. I will have to try using the flour instead of breadcrumbs which I usually use when I make it. A friend of mine who passed away lived in West Haven and she made the best eggplant that I have ever tasted.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Regards,

Arlene

Hi Neighbor:

I'm nearby in Orange and your receipt sounds yummy. I will have to try using the flour instead of breadcrumbs which I usually use when I make it. A friend of mine who passed away lived in West Haven and she made the best eggplant that I have ever tasted.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Regards,

Arlene

I learned from my uncle who owned an Italian rest/pizza in the New Haven area since the late 1950's. It was our grandmother's recipe. We used to fry eggplant continuously for 2-3 weeks every August when the farm in Branford picked them; bushel after bushel. They freeze well and we'd make enough for the whole year. Needless to say, I rarely make them now, although I still love to eat it! Now I get in the car, go to Wooster Street in New Haven and order it at my cousin's restaurant, where I know it will always be like Grandma's. I never order it out since many places use the frozen "cutlet" variety (like Princess does), and the breadcrumbs totally change the flavor. Enjoy.

I learned from my uncle who owned an Italian rest/pizza in the New Haven area since the late 1950's. It was our grandmother's recipe. We used to fry eggplant continuously for 2-3 weeks every August when the farm in Branford picked them; bushel after bushel. They freeze well and we'd make enough for the whole year. Needless to say, I rarely make them now, although I still love to eat it! Now I get in the car, go to Wooster Street in New Haven and order it at my cousin's restaurant, where I know it will always be like Grandma's. I never order it out since many places use the frozen "cutlet" variety (like Princess does), and the breadcrumbs totally change the flavor. Enjoy.

AHHHHHHHHHH Wooster Street

Now you are making me hungry *LOL*

anytime! I good go for some right now instead of the turkey soup cooking! By the way, he sailed with us on our first Princess cruise last year and didn't get beyond the first taste of the eggplant! Visit Abate's if you want good eggplant. Pres Clinton used to go everytime he was in New Haven for something.

anytime! I good go for some right now instead of the turkey soup cooking! By the way, he sailed with us on our first Princess cruise last year and didn't get beyond the first taste of the eggplant! Visit Abate's if you want good eggplant. Pres Clinton used to go everytime he was in New Haven for something.

I have heard of Abate's , but have never been.

Hmmmm will definately have to make a point of going :)

I've heard of Abate's, but have never been there. We've been to Pepe's a few times, but not in many years.

I think after the holidays we should all plan a field trip to Abate's and share our love of cruising and some good eggplant.

Best regards,

Arlene

I've heard of Abate's, but have never been there. We've been to Pepe's a few times, but not in many years.

I think after the holidays we should all plan a field trip to Abate's and share our love of cruising and some good eggplant.

Best regards,

Arlene

That sounds very nice.

We used to go to Wooster street all the time. Pepe's, Sallys, Consiglio's , Tony and Lucilles. All of them , but it has been a while. Definately long over due for a trip back:)

Of course after dinner we have to make a trip to Libby's for a Cannoli and a Capuccino . MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm :)

That sounds very nice.

We used to go to Wooster street all the time. Pepe's, Sallys, Consiglio's , Tony and Lucilles. All of them , but it has been a while. Definately long over due for a trip back:)

Of course after dinner we have to make a trip to Libby's for a Cannoli and a Capuccino . MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm :)

I'm not familiar with Libby's, but I can never resist a cannoli. Yummy! Maybe we should do this before Christmas. I don't think I can wait that long now. :) I may have to stop tomorrow at Julia's bakery next to the Christmas Tree Shop for a cannoli on my way to work.

Rosie, are you still a nurse and where do you work? I work in Milford on Old Gate Lane in the old GM building that had been empty for many years.

Regards,

Arlene

Yes I'm still a nurse and work for the State Health Dept. Libby's is a real Italian pastry shop on Wooster STreet. They make the Lemon Ice you get at all the festivals around; very good.

They have cannoli in a bunch of different flavors. All over their pastries are excellent.

There are fewer and fewer REAL italian pastry shops left around here . You have Libby's, DelPretes & Luigis in Bridgeport , and i can't think of any else off the top of my head.

I think it would be great to get together. We could walk up and down Wooster Street and pig out. Get us ready for our next cruise *LOL* :)

Archived