Lost Luggage NCL

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:13 PM.
#1
Davenport, Florida
24 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Carry whatever is possible when leaving Port of Miami. We just returned from the Jewel 5 day and received our luggage on the 4th day. We were not alone, 3 trams of luggage were left at the Port, some of which made it onto the Pearl and some were not found as of yet. We had 2 bags, clearly marked with Platinum Level Tags, as well as our Courtyard Villa cabin assignment (and yes, we tipped $5.00 per bag).
Monday afteernoon, each person was given a $200. credit in the gift shop, which for me purchased one pair of pants $95.00, one pair of sox, a "box of thong underwear" (which is all they had), a dress shirt and a casual shirt. I will never forget the lady standing next to me, holding a $95.00 bathing suit and realizing it was that or clothes to have dinner in, she couldn't get bolth, she began to cry. It was her 35 anniversary cruise, and it was our 10th. This was our "trip of a lifetime, in the Courtyard"
NCL did offer to and did our laundry in a 3.5 hour turnaround, which we appreciated, and did send up a couple of dive-in shirts, but they were medium, and most us havent seen medium in a long time. NO other compensation "will be given" was their line.
WE are Platinum members, we have never had a problem before, but the front desk person I spoke with (I did not give her name to upper Management) said "it happens quite a bit whenever we have two or more ships in dock the same day, just not usually to this extent". We werent looking for thousands of $ in compensation, just enough clothes to work with for a few days. We missed our dinner at Cagny's, the clothes we had presssed for the "formal" photos, and just felt unconfortable in ill fitting clothes. We cannot get those evenings back. The kicker is they had a storewide 20% off sale on everything the next day, I inquired If they could extended the discount from the previous day, and maybe get a bathing suit or belt or more sox, and got quite a flat no. a So please carry on whatever you can, we made the mistake of not carrying more on and thinking that they really cared.
#2
Minnesota
9 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Just to be sure, you are saying that you turned your baggage over to NCL at the dock and it never made it onto the ship from there?

Personally I'd like to know how much they will let you carry on- I'd prefer to just take it all, but know that's probably not going to happen.
#3
1,530 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by NCLfriend
Carry whatever is possible when leaving Port of Miami. We just returned from the Jewel 5 day and received our luggage on the 4th day. We were not alone, 3 trams of luggage were left at the Port, some of which made it onto the Pearl and some were not found as of yet. We had 2 bags, clearly marked with Platinum Level Tags, as well as our Courtyard Villa cabin assignment (and yes, we tipped $5.00 per bag).
Monday afteernoon, each person was given a $200. credit in the gift shop, which for me purchased one pair of pants $95.00, one pair of sox, a "box of thong underwear" (which is all they had), a dress shirt and a casual shirt. I will never forget the lady standing next to me, holding a $95.00 bathing suit and realizing it was that or clothes to have dinner in, she couldn't get bolth, she began to cry. It was her 35 anniversary cruise, and it was our 10th. This was our "trip of a lifetime, in the Courtyard"
NCL did offer to and did our laundry in a 3.5 hour turnaround, which we appreciated, and did send up a couple of dive-in shirts, but they were medium, and most us havent seen medium in a long time. NO other compensation "will be given" was their line.
WE are Platinum members, we have never had a problem before, but the front desk person I spoke with (I did not give her name to upper Management) said "it happens quite a bit whenever we have two or more ships in dock the same day, just not usually to this extent". We werent looking for thousands of $ in compensation, just enough clothes to work with for a few days. We missed our dinner at Cagny's, the clothes we had presssed for the "formal" photos, and just felt unconfortable in ill fitting clothes. We cannot get those evenings back. The kicker is they had a storewide 20% off sale on everything the next day, I inquired If they could extended the discount from the previous day, and maybe get a bathing suit or belt or more sox, and got quite a flat no. a So please carry on whatever you can, we made the mistake of not carrying more on and thinking that they really cared.

Sorry to here of your dilemma but at least its good to see that NCL is keeping up with the airlines. I think your the 2nd or 3rd to mention they lost their luggage and some went onto the Pearl as well.

I'm curious to know if you had tipped your porter as I don't trust those guys and there has been trouble in the past with a couple of them.
#4
Davenport, Florida
24 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Yes, NCL at the dock! The tough thing is it was supposed to arrive on Tuesday, then it changed to Wednesday. They will let you carry on whatever fits through their x-ray macine, like the one at the airports. So a folded over garment bag, and most carry ons go right through. I checked and the do not have a limit of carry ons that you could bring.
#5
New York, NY, USA
11,228 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
I'm not 100% clear either. Are you saying the bags were left behind at the dock or that they made it onto the ship but took four days to be delivered to your cabin?

If they were left behind, it wasn't NCL's fault. The bags are handled at the dock by non-NCL workers. If they failed to ensure that the bags made it onto the ship, NCL is not responsible, which means they really don't owe you anything. Offering $200 credit in the shop, in that case, was really nice. This happened to me on a Princess cruise. My checked bag didn't make it onto the ship but Princess then went out of their way to get the bag delivered to the next port stop. Is this what happened to your bags (i.e., the bags were left behind but somehow caught up to the ship)?

However, if you're saying the bags were on the ship the whole time and it took NCL's personnel four days to deliver the bags, I don't blame you at all for being upset. That would be unacceptable.

Looking for a clarification.
#7
Davenport, Florida
24 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
The Luggage carts actually went from the Jewel, to the Pearl, some Jewel bags were loaded onto the Pearl, then someone there realized it was the wrong ship, and brought it to another ship. They realized it wasnt their guests, so it was brought back to the Jewel, and then left on the dock. So most of the bags for the Jewel guests did make it to the ship on Wednesday night. Other bags for Jewel guests are on the Pearl, which they were told would be mailed to them and still others have not been located.

And yes, thongs were great when I was 20 years younger and 20 lbs. lighter!
#8
New Jersey
2,926 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by johnql
I'm not 100% clear either. Are you saying the bags were left behind at the dock or that they made it onto the ship but took four days to be delivered to your cabin?

If they were left behind, it wasn't NCL's fault. The bags are handled at the dock by non-NCL workers. If they failed to ensure that the bags made it onto the ship, NCL is not responsible, which means they really don't owe you anything. Offering $200 credit in the shop, in that case, was really nice. This happened to me on a Princess cruise. My checked bag didn't make it onto the ship but Princess then went out of their way to get the bag delivered to the next port stop. Is this what happened to your bags (i.e., the bags were left behind but somehow caught up to the ship)?

However, if you're saying the bags were on the ship the whole time and it took NCL's personnel four days to deliver the bags, I don't blame you at all for being upset. That would be unacceptable.
Looking for a clarification.
Sorry to hear about your luggage misfortune however John is correct. Until it gets on the ship it is not NCL. The porters at the dock are hired by the POM and NCL has no jurisdiction over them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his/her life.'
That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact..

Dennise.yurcho@comcast.net



Past Cruises
Jewel 5 day Jan 2008
Pearl 7 day Jan 2009
Sky 4 day Oct 2009
Pearl 7 day Jan 2010
Dawn 9 day Jan 2011
Dawn 11 day Feb 2012
Sun 11 day Feb 2013
Sun 10 day Feb 2014
Pearl 10 day Feb 2015-Cancelled due to Charter
Breakaway 12 day Feb 2015
Breakaway 7 day Bermuda April 2015
Star 7 day Nov 2015
Jade 12 day Jan 2017
#9
Cape Cod MA& Weirton WV
4,419 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
You know I don't care if NCL has any jurisdiction over the baggage handlers or not, is it asking too much that they DO have employees that take a look around and see there are not pallets of luggage that have the particular ship and date that is about to sail?

After all checking your bags with the porters is what the CRUISELINE tells you to do. That gives them some responsibility to try to ensure things go smoothly.

You know I am beginning to think that the cruiseline should keep a supply of adaptable clothing on board and accessories just for these occasions, that guests could check out items from in addition to the $200 credit in shops for incidentals.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
McCall

THE OPPOSITE OF LOVE IS NOT HATE, BUT INDIFFERENCE
#10
7,580 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by Arwenmark
You know I don't care if NCL has any jurisdiction over the baggage handlers or not, is it asking too much that they DO have employees that take a look around and see there are not pallets of luggage that have the particular ship and date that is about to sail?

After all checking your bags with the porters is what the CRUISELINE tells you to do. That gives them some responsibility to try to ensure things go smoothly.

You know I am beginning to think that the cruiseline should keep a supply of adaptable clothing on board and accessories just for these occasions, that guests could check out items from in addition to the $200 credit in shops for incidentals.
I'm kind of with you on this one for sure. I could give a rats behind who the porters actually work for, if they are union, i don't care what. I turn my bags over to them when I get out of the cab and to me, that is turning them over to NCL. I could careless from there. I hold NCL fully and completely responsible for getting my luggabe from the curb to the stateroom. It is up to NCL to make sure of that and to compensate me for any issues that arrives by me not getting my luggage. NCL can go after the union or whoever those porters work for to get my compensation taken care of. If they can not do the job, damn the union, fire that company or do something to make it better.

OP... I am so sorry that your cruise was less than what you hoped for because of this. Hopefully your next one, with whom ever it is with, will make up for it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Terry and Doug




Radisson Diamond - Eastern Caribbean 1998
Carnival Inspiration- Western Caribbean Sep - 2001
Royal Caribbean - Souther Caribbean May - 2003
Norwegian Sun - Eastern Caribbean Apr - 2006
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riveria Nov - 2007
Norwegian Star - Alaska May - 2008
Norwegian Pearl - Caribbean Oct - 2008
Norwegian Dawn - Caribbean Nov Repo - 2009
Norwegian Star - Alaska May 2010
Norwegian Spirit- Caribbean November 2011
Norwegian Sun - Caribbean October 2012
Norwegian Jade - Western Mediterranean Nov 2014
Norwegian Jewel - Alaska May - 2015
#11
Davenport, Florida
24 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
I fell in love with NCL on the S/S Noway, have been loyal fan, brought 5 cabins of family on our last cruise and have stayed in every accomation from "broom closet" to Penthouse and Villa, and even handed out our PCC's cards on the ship. I have always had to get additional STYLE Cards, because the 2 they give was not enough to recogonize all the outstanding staff on the line.
The tough part was hearing how common this luggage issue was from the staff on the ship. To me, this means it is a regular occurance. Had I any indication, I would have carried on the luggage. I am writing this to inform others, that it is a regular occurance of late, and to do what they can to avoid this happening to them.
I appreciate what NCL did for us, but also findining out how often it has happend, does lead to some frustration. They (NCL) know it is an issue, how they are choosing to deal with it, I do not know. What I do know is carry what you can and enjoy you cruise.
Brian
#12
Dallas
2,086 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
I'm not certain but I think the POM or port for that matter mandates that ONLY their workers can handle luggage in the port. I've never seen a NCL employee anywhere near the luggage carts. I've seen them off load and load luggage and at all times it's the port workers who handle those carts.

If union rule prohibit ANYONE but port workers from placing a hand on the luggage, then those are the rules. The only way NCL could get around those rules would be to sail out of a non-union port. Good luck on that.

Disclaimer:I am in no way slamming any union workers
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dolphin 1993 Bahamas-My love of cruising was seeded on this small ship!
NCL Jewel June 11-18, 2006 Western Mediterranean AF #11618
NCL Jewel March 11-18, 2007 Eastern Caribbean BC #9006
NCL Dawn November 25th -December 2, 2007 Eastern Caribbean BC #9512
NCL Pearl Alaska May 4th-11th BB #10638
NCL Jewel 9 Day Southern Caribbean Nov 27th-Dec 7th 2008 BB #10640

NCL Spirit 7 Day Western Caribbean March 29-April 5th 2009 BC #11660-best room EVER!
NCL Majesty 7 Day Bermuda OCT 24th-31st 2009 CC #967-Last Majesty Cruise
NCL Gem-didn't make it
NCL Sky-Plan B April 23-26th Bahamas BB 0055
#13
New York, NY, USA
11,228 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by chrisbd1
I'm not certain but I think the POM or port for that matter mandates that ONLY their workers can handle luggage in the port. I've never seen a NCL employee anywhere near the luggage carts. I've seen them off load and load luggage and at all times it's the port workers who handle those carts.

If union rule prohibit ANYONE but port workers from placing a hand on the luggage, then those are the rules. The only way NCL could get around those rules would be to sail out of a non-union port. Good luck on that.

Disclaimer:I am in no way slamming any union workers
That's exactly the problem. It's all well and good to say the moment you drop the bags off, NCL should take responsibility. But I think it's a lot more complicated than that. Unfortunately, NCL (along with all other cruise lines) have to work within the system that's in place right now, which means their workers (NCL, that is) don't get to handle the bags until they're onboard the ship. I really think it's unfair to blame them if the mistakes were made by the dock workers.
#14
Cape Cod MA& Weirton WV
4,419 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Originally posted by johnql
That's exactly the problem. It's all well and good to say the moment you drop the bags off, NCL should take responsibility. But I think it's a lot more complicated than that. Unfortunately, NCL (along with all other cruise lines) have to work within the system that's in place right now, which means their workers (NCL, that is) don't get to handle the bags until they're onboard the ship. I really think it's unfair to blame them if the mistakes were made by the dock workers.
I don't BLAME NCL I hold them responsible for making an extra effort to observe what is going on at the dock. I realize they do not control anything there. But as I said they can certainly be observing the luggage loading onto their own ships. and what is still sitting there when they are about to pull away.

I also hold them responsible to help the passengers put at a disadvantage by any such dock screw ups. After all the people who lose luggage etc. did not just decide to drive down to the dock and set down their bags, they are there to take a cruise, they are NCL customers. It behooves NCL to do everything in their power to help them. A $200 credit is not everything in their power.

I know that legally they are not liable for much of anything, but that is not the point.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
McCall

THE OPPOSITE OF LOVE IS NOT HATE, BUT INDIFFERENCE
#15
Dallas
2,086 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Same thing happened to this guy on Celebrity, same $200 but they couln't eat in any of the main dining rooms as the girlfriend wasn't properly dressed
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=944669
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dolphin 1993 Bahamas-My love of cruising was seeded on this small ship!
NCL Jewel June 11-18, 2006 Western Mediterranean AF #11618
NCL Jewel March 11-18, 2007 Eastern Caribbean BC #9006
NCL Dawn November 25th -December 2, 2007 Eastern Caribbean BC #9512
NCL Pearl Alaska May 4th-11th BB #10638
NCL Jewel 9 Day Southern Caribbean Nov 27th-Dec 7th 2008 BB #10640

NCL Spirit 7 Day Western Caribbean March 29-April 5th 2009 BC #11660-best room EVER!
NCL Majesty 7 Day Bermuda OCT 24th-31st 2009 CC #967-Last Majesty Cruise
NCL Gem-didn't make it
NCL Sky-Plan B April 23-26th Bahamas BB 0055
#16
NJ
171 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
This is not only a POM issue.. I remember when was on the Dawn 2 years ago out of NYC, one family of 3 (with their 11 month old) had all their luggage put on the Carnival ship instead. It was a 7 day canada/NE cruise and all their stuff, the babies stuff (including diapers, formula, PJ's, etc) were all missing. All they had was the diaper bag they walked on the ship with.. (I believe their were others affected, but I only met the one family)

NCL did give them money to spend in the gift shop for clothes, also washed their clothes with quick turn around..

the crew also called around to everyone who had small kids with them, to try to get anything they could for the baby (formula, diapers, food, clothes, etc).. we had our 20 month old with us, and were able to supply them with almost everything we could except formula and diapers.. (we always bring WAY too much cr*p for the kids with us).

also, the kitchen made fresh baby food for them all day.. so it seems that the treatment for the baby, was better than the OP (or the parents for that matter).

so as far as how the adults were treated, they had to really push to get anything other than the gift shop credit and were always embarrased walking into restuarants with flip flops on..

the problem for them was, we didnt get to port for 4 days (it was too windy to tender into martha's vinyard on day 2, when they were supposed to get their luggage.. so they had to wait until day 4)..
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Jewel - Alaska - 08/27/2016
NCL Jade - Houston - 04/09/2016
NCL Breakaway - New York - 11/01/2015
NCL Gem - New York - 05/23/2015
NCL Gem - New England/Canada - 10/05/2013
NCL Gem - NYC Eastern Carib - 11/16/2012
NCL Jewel - repo - NYC-MIA 10/30/2009
NCL Jewel - transatlantic Repo MIA-Dover - 4/20/2008
NCL Dawn - New England/Canada - 9/30/2006
Holland America Noordam - Caribean - 2006
Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas - 10/2004
Silver Seas Silver Whisper - 12/2003
Sea Dream Yacht Club - Caribbean - 2002
Celebrity Summit - W. Caribbean - 10/22/2001
Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas
Carnival Ectasy -
Holland America Westerdam -
Home Lines Atlantic - 1986 & 1987
#17
6,033 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Did anyone have travel insurance? I've read that they give you a stipend for late arriving luggage (or lost luggage). That with what NCL gave you could have gotten you thru, perhaps? Plus, you'd be covered if you had a medical emergency etc. If you cruise frequently you can buy a years worth of insurance instead of buying it for every trip individually. Just a thought. Sorry your very special trip in the best cabin was so frustrating!
#18
Upstate Beautiful South Carolina
4,072 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
NCLFriend ~ So sorry for your misfortune. What a disappointing way to cruise, especially for a woman. You probably packed everything after alot of planning, and it was all for naught.

I feel for you and wish you much better cruises in the future.

Thanks for the heed.
#19
New York, NY, USA
11,228 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by Arwenmark
I don't BLAME NCL I hold them responsible for making an extra effort to observe what is going on at the dock. I realize they do not control anything there. But as I said they can certainly be observing the luggage loading onto their own ships. and what is still sitting there when they are about to pull away.

I also hold them responsible to help the passengers put at a disadvantage by any such dock screw ups. After all the people who lose luggage etc. did not just decide to drive down to the dock and set down their bags, they are there to take a cruise, they are NCL customers. It behooves NCL to do everything in their power to help them. A $200 credit is not everything in their power.

I know that legally they are not liable for much of anything, but that is not the point.
Sorry but once they take on that responsibility, even informally, then they take the blame when something goes wrong and, along with that, the liability. In a perfect world, I would imagine that they should do what you're saying they should but we all know that we don't live in a perfect world.

As far as compensation, I feel $200 credit is more than enough for something that wasn't their fault. Beyond that, they should help track down the bags and expedite getting them to the next port if it's possible.
#20
1 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
We were on the NCL Jewel sail date of 3/15. We were allowed to eat in Cagney's and Tsar dining rooms dressed more casually than we would normally because of the luggage situation. They didnt have any pants that fit me or clothes appropriate for my wife. After the seond knight of "looks" and rolled eyes of the Matre D, we were so uncomfortable that we ate in the buffet and the great outdoors the rest of the time. We too spoke to the desk and some workers and found out they were glad it was only 30 something bags this time, other times it has been more, but usually less. Maybe NCL could do a better job letting people know. They just told us to go to the Port and check the baggage with the Porter, how were we supposed to know it wasn't their people? As others have said, carry everything you can.