Age and solo crusing

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:47 AM.
22 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Hey everyone,
I just got back from a great cruise and perhaps Im already having withdrawal lol but I would love to book another. I'm 27 years old (yet I look maybe 18-22) and I just dont have a lot of people who would be down for cruising with me. I feel like if I was older I would look older for one, and have more confidence. I'm just curious what is the age range of those of you that travel solo? And if you traveled solo do you feel awkwardly alone? I like to have fun and its always nice when you have a good circle of people that you know. I've never done a solo cruise before but I've been pondering about it! Maybe for my 30th I will have more courage!
West Hartford, CT
118 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
I'm 30 now, and took my first solo cruise when I was 27. I was on NCL Breakaway, so my experience is from a ship that caters (in some ways) to solo travelers. They had meet and greets scheduled each day, which was better attended early in the week, and was a good way to meet other solos. You're also not limited to just meeting other solo travelers, that's the great thing! I've sailed with groups of friends before, but you don't want to spending every waking minute with the same people, so we would strike out and meet other people too. If anything, you're better positioned to meet people because everyone is in vacation mode, which in my experience makes most people more outgoing and willing to chat with a stranger.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruises Taken
RCCL Monarch to Caribbean - circa 1998
HAL ms Zuiderdam to Caribbean - circa 2001
NCL to Bermuda - circa 2003
Norwegian Breakaway to Bermuda - 7/20/2014
Celebrity Solstice to Alaska - 8/19/2016
Norwegian Breakaway to Florida/Bahamas - 2/26/2017
Norwegian Dawn to Bermuda - 8/18/2017

Future Cruises
Norwegian Escape to Eastern, Western, Southern, or Northern Caribbean - 3/17/2018
73 Posts
Joined May 2004
My first solo cruise was when I was 31. Although I do cruise with my young man on occasion, I have to admit that the majority of the time finds me taking off on my own and preferring it. It's wonderful being able to do exactly what you want to do, how and when you want to do it, without having to compromise. It's deliciously self-indulgent!

Bechi
The Third Coast - Nashville
7,753 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
I took my first solo cruise when I was 50 years old. It was my 3rd cruise overall. I think one of the reasons there aren't more young solo cruisers is the price. It almost always costs more to sail solo, so it becomes more cost prohibitive for the 20 or 30 something cruiser.

Roz
Minnesota
1,494 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
When I did my first solo I was in my 30's and now I am in my 60's. I enjoyed it then when I was younger and enjoy it now that I am older. Things change over time, I don't have as much fun (partying) as I used to, but now I find that I am able to just relax and enjoy things more. I love the solo experience as you can do what you want when you want. Happy sailing.
22 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by Roz
I took my first solo cruise when I was 50 years old. It was my 3rd cruise overall. I think one of the reasons there aren't more young solo cruisers is the price. It almost always costs more to sail solo, so it becomes more cost prohibitive for the 20 or 30 something cruiser.

Roz
I agree. Its so expensive! I wish they did have more deals for solo travelers. But its all about $$$.

And @Travelnap I still like to "party" so to speak. Thats the only thing, I recently went on a cruise and sometimes if my friend didnt want to party I would sit off to the side and kinda people watch. I really enjoy being surrounded by good company at the same time I like having time to myself.
37 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by travelchick989
Hey everyone,
I just got back from a great cruise and perhaps Im already having withdrawal lol but I would love to book another. I'm 27 years old (yet I look maybe 18-22) and I just dont have a lot of people who would be down for cruising with me. I feel like if I was older I would look older for one, and have more confidence. I'm just curious what is the age range of those of you that travel solo? And if you traveled solo do you feel awkwardly alone? I like to have fun and its always nice when you have a good circle of people that you know. I've never done a solo cruise before but I've been pondering about it! Maybe for my 30th I will have more courage!
Hi Travelchick!

I'm 26 years old and I will be 27 when I will do my first solo cruise! People also think I'm a lot younger!! Some people think I'm still in High School
Anyway: I can't speak from experience yet, but if you have the money and time: please try it! From what I've heard it's an amazing experience. Even though you might look younger and most solo travellers are older in fact, I don't think it matters! Age truly is just a number and when you book a cruise which you will like, other people will share at least some of your interests
But I would maybe recommend to go on a cruise that offers special gatherings and stuff for solo's! For me at least (I'm going on the Norwegian Epic) it helps to know that there is a solo lounge and if I want I could join other solo travellers for dinner or activities!

Good luck with your decision on which cruise you are going lol
Dallas,Texas,USA
1,632 Posts
Joined May 2003
I would suggest scheduling during the shoulder season's after the families and kids are back in school. Price drops significantly and I personally know a lot of single cruisers who generally cruise as soon as the kids are back in school. Might be different school calendars in different departure ports depending on the state
22 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by Stallion
I would suggest scheduling during the shoulder season's after the families and kids are back in school. Price drops significantly and I personally know a lot of single cruisers who generally cruise as soon as the kids are back in school. Might be different school calendars in different departure ports depending on the state
ahh good idea. However that does mean traveling to another state to get my cruise of course. I've been spoiled since I was able to get on my cruise from NY since I live in the city. And I'm a teacher so I know i'll see the kids when im off. I thought about cruising during the holiday/spring breaks but I hear its a lot of kids too.
West Hartford, CT
118 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
ahh good idea. However that does mean traveling to another state to get my cruise of course. I've been spoiled since I was able to get on my cruise from NY since I live in the city. And I'm a teacher so I know i'll see the kids when im off. I thought about cruising during the holiday/spring breaks but I hear its a lot of kids too.
Unless I'm reading this as you moved out of NY, you can get on a cruise from Manhattan year-round, as NCL has ships departing from there year-round. I've done the Bermuda itinerary in July and the Bahamas in February, both solo and out of NYC.

As for the crowds of kids, it's not as bad during the summer, compared to February/April/Christmas vacations. Since it's a 3 month period, there are a lot of families, but also a lot of 20s/30s who have time off as well. And with the Breakaway/Epic Class ships, the studios help keep the price down for solo cruisers, with the added benefit of rooms that, while well appointed, encourage you to spend your time elsewhere on the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruises Taken

Future Cruises
Norwegian Escape to Eastern, Western, Southern, or Northern Caribbean - 3/17/2018
Low Country of South Carolina
701 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
I am 51 and i am terminally single (LOL) I have been on about 4 or 5 cruises alone, but I also enjoy the company of others and have had great luck in the past of meeting up with other singles through the ships roll calls and had a great time and made new life time friends, some of which I have cruised with again. However My last cruise was a bust...roll call was kinda of a dud and really never connected with anyone, also instead of being seated with a large group in MDR I was at a 4 top with one couple, nice people, but older. That was a truly singles/solo cruise, I really did not enjoy myself as I had in the past...so sometimes it can be hit or miss.
22 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by robmac330
Unless I'm reading this as you moved out of NY, you can get on a cruise from Manhattan year-round, as NCL has ships departing from there year-round. I've done the Bermuda itinerary in July and the Bahamas in February, both solo and out of NYC.

As for the crowds of kids, it's not as bad during the summer, compared to February/April/Christmas vacations. Since it's a 3 month period, there are a lot of families, but also a lot of 20s/30s who have time off as well. And with the Breakaway/Epic Class ships, the studios help keep the price down for solo cruisers, with the added benefit of rooms that, while well appointed, encourage you to spend your time elsewhere on the ship.
I'm from the city and still live in the city! Thats one of the perks I liked about that ship leaving from NY since I don't have to buy a plane ticket and im literally 10 mins away from the port by taxi. Yea I've thought about maybe cruising during the school year with the school holidays but idk yet :P still pondering that idea.*highly unlikely* lol I feel like i'd rather cruise next time in mid August instead of July.
22 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by uncleg
I am 51 and i am terminally single (LOL) I have been on about 4 or 5 cruises alone, but I also enjoy the company of others and have had great luck in the past of meeting up with other singles through the ships roll calls and had a great time and made new life time friends, some of which I have cruised with again. However My last cruise was a bust...roll call was kinda of a dud and really never connected with anyone, also instead of being seated with a large group in MDR I was at a 4 top with one couple, nice people, but older. That was a truly singles/solo cruise, I really did not enjoy myself as I had in the past...so sometimes it can be hit or miss.

terminally single lol. What cruise did you cruise on last year? If I were to cruise next year solo I would skip out of the MDR and just eat at the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I feel like I may get the stare and the "oh are you alone" lol. I hope it would turn out ok if I were to cruise solo. I also feel like NCL is the line I would prefer to stick with one because I'm familiar and two they seem cater to more solo cruisers with meet-ups and such.
22 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
TravelChick.... You would like the NCL ships with studio cabins, and the studio lounge. Lots of people to meet. I learned from another cruiser that you can book NCL cruises with Solo discounts, as these will have a lot of solo travelers onboard. She said there were 50 solos in her group. I am going to try this on the NCL Norwegian Gem from Manhattan to Canada ,New England, Sails Sept 30th. Hopefully a lot of Solos onboard. This ship has no studio cabins, but Solos flock to the Solo discounted tours from what I hear.
109 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
I'm 44, and although I've never cruised so yet (but plan to), I've taken multiple vacations by myself. While traveling with someone else is great when you find someone who travels like you do, there is a lot to be said about being able to do whatever you want without having to consider anyone else. It is very freeing.

IMO, the number one determinant on whether or not you'll have a good time is your own attitude (not you, specifically--the general "you" ). If you go into your vacation with an open mind and a willingness to put yourself out there when meeting others, you can have a ball. On the same note, if you go with the idea that you'll be miserable because you don't have someone to share everything with, you will be miserable.

Probably the only real downside to traveling alone is that, as women, we have to be a little more vigilant and safety conscious. For instance, not putting ourselves in dangerous situations, not drinking ourselves to the point of passing out, etc. This is all basic common sense, though. In all the time I've traveled alone (and it's been a lot), I've never had a problem, but I'm smart about how I travel as well.

Don't give up on solo traveling. If you love to travel and there is no one that can go with you, don't feel like you have to sit at home. The more you do it, the more comfortable and confident you'll become.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Low Country of South Carolina
701 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
terminally single lol. What cruise did you cruise on last year? If I were to cruise next year solo I would skip out of the MDR and just eat at the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I feel like I may get the stare and the "oh are you alone" lol. I hope it would turn out ok if I were to cruise solo. I also feel like NCL is the line I would prefer to stick with one because I'm familiar and two they seem cater to more solo cruisers with meet-ups and such.

It was on the Carnival Sunshine, to be truthfully honest I did not care for the ship at all...that may have something to with it just not being a good cruise. I generally do buffet for breakfast and lunch but do like the MDR for dinner. I am looking to try a more singles/solo friendly line in the future.
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,477 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by Roz

Roz
Hi Roz, I agree with your comments........I took my first solo cruise when I was 45 and I am now 59.......it is the only
form of vacation I have taken in the last 14 years
West Hartford, CT
118 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
I'm from the city and still live in the city! Thats one of the perks I liked about that ship leaving from NY since I don't have to buy a plane ticket and im literally 10 mins away from the port by taxi. Yea I've thought about maybe cruising during the school year with the school holidays but idk yet :P still pondering that idea.*highly unlikely* lol I feel like i'd rather cruise next time in mid August instead of July.
I would HIGHLY recommend the Breakaway (or whichever ship takes its place in 2018) to Bermuda during the summer. It's a fantastic island and the entire trip is far more laid back with the single port of call over 3 days. My mom's a teacher, and we're actually doing the Boston>Bermuda itinerary on Dawn in a few weeks before she has to go back to work, but I've also done NYC>Bermuda solo and it's a great trip!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruises Taken

Future Cruises
ExPerth, Now Melb Aus
625 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
I'm 48 and have been travelling and cruising solo since 15. My age and the ages of people around me have never been of any interest to me. A person can be fun and interesting - or dull and boring - regardless of their age group. Just this week I met an 85 year old lady at the theatre and we got chatting and ended up going for drinks after the show and chatted late into the night like we had been besties for decades.

And if you traveled solo do you feel awkwardly alone?
That feeling is more about a person's own personality and insecurities. I have never felt it and am never likely to.

The benefit of cruising solo (and travelling solo in general) is that its 100% your choice as to how introverted or extraverted you are at any given time of the day. So for me - I am not a morning person. I will head to dining rooms for breakfast and ask for a solo table where I will sit reading or updating my diary while I eat. Lunch I will either eat alone or eat with random folk I have met during the day, Dinner same. I mix it up a bit and eat with different people rather than the same each night.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Antarctica
Kapitan Khlebnikov Nov 2010 (West Antarctica, Weddell Sea, Riser Laarsen Coast, Sth Sandwhich & Sth Georgia Islands)
Kapitan Khlebnikov Dec 2011 (Final voyage - East Antarctica & Heard Island)
Sea Adventurer: Feb 2014 (East side of Antarctica Peninsular, South Georgia Is, Falkland Is).

Ortelius: Feb 2014 Bluff NZ, Ross Sea, West Antarctica, Peninsula, Peter 1st Island, Ushuaia
Other regions: too many to list so just the highlights:
P&O Oriana 1984 (Indian Ocean) and 1986 (Pacific Ocean), Superstar Virgo 2003 (Indian Ocean),
Radiance of the Seas: Nov 2014 Bravo Theatre Opera cruise - Noumea.

22 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by Explorer525
TravelChick.... You would like the NCL ships with studio cabins, and the studio lounge. Lots of people to meet. I learned from another cruiser that you can book NCL cruises with Solo discounts, as these will have a lot of solo travelers onboard. She said there were 50 solos in her group. I am going to try this on the NCL Norwegian Gem from Manhattan to Canada ,New England, Sails Sept 30th. Hopefully a lot of Solos onboard. This ship has no studio cabins, but Solos flock to the Solo discounted tours from what I hear.
I've seen videos and pictures about the solo cabins. But perhaps I'm picky but i gotta have my balcony. When I first went cruising I opted for a balcony. Yes people will argue that your not gonna be in the room alot but I like to have natural day light lol. However I do need to save up $$$ every now and then. Who knows I may end up trying a inside/solo cabin one day. The solo cabins do look very nice on NLC. So far every cruise I've been on has been with a balcony. I'd be willing to pay extra for it. Thats one thing I'd wish cruising companies would do is give more bargains for solos who want to cruise, especially if you want a balcony or ocean view.

*And I know Anthem of the Seas has the virtual balcony in the solo cabins but I still like the real thing lol