NCL Studio tips? Breakaway

NJ Mr. E

Taking Norwegian for the first time Easter Sunday and I booked a studio cabin. I'm actually very excited about it. I found I didn't need so much space in an ocean view on Carnival. I'm simple like that lol.

Any tips for meeting times in the lounge? Are the room stewards just as caring to a studio as they are other cabins? Any pro tips to get the best out of the lounge? Is the dining package worth it as a solo on breakaway?

Taking Norwegian for the first time Easter Sunday and I booked a studio cabin. I'm actually very excited about it. I found I didn't need so much space in an ocean view on Carnival. I'm simple like that lol.

Any tips for meeting times in the lounge? Are the room stewards just as caring to a studio as they are other cabins? Any pro tips to get the best out of the lounge? Is the dining package worth it as a solo on breakaway?

Hello, I did the Studio on the Epic, then the Studio on the Breakaway but upgraded the week before to a Balcony for little $. You might want to inquire about it a few weeks before depending on how full your sailing is. Right now, it looks like it could be a busier week, prices could fall though.

(Currently I am back in the Breakaway Studio in the fall).

The more I think about it, sometimes I think the Studio was a better fit as it was just there for sleeping and changing during the day. It had a sleek and modern feel to it. Defintely better than an outside porthole I had on the Jewel.

I would not do the dining package as you might prefer eating with others in the MDR vs. by yourself in a speciality depending what the group of people do.

I would attend the meeting time of I think 5pm especially the 1st day, and then maybe pop in for coffee in the morning.

As a solo you can get in the lounge anytime, once I upgraded I could only get in easily for the daily gatherings at around 5. We sometimes as the week progressed did not stay that long. Once you meet people, typically I have found as the week goes on you can make plans to meet up later.

Also, if you book any shows, book them later- don't book a show 7pm when people might be eating. If you want to do something like the Cirque show- pick it for the last night.

I would not do the dining package as you might prefer eating with others in the MDR vs. by yourself in a speciality depending what the group of people do.

I figured that would be the way to go. Cost wise, I didn't want to purchase it and then never eat at speciality places. I love food, but I also live in Jersey and finding a great place to eat is pretty easy. Especially with NY City and Philly so close. So unlike some people, I don't think I need the cruise to be the place for me to explore food options.

I figured that would be the way to go. Cost wise, I didn't want to purchase it and then never eat at speciality places. I love food, but I also live in Jersey and finding a great place to eat is pretty easy. Especially with NY City and Philly so close. So unlike some people, I don't think I need the cruise to be the place for me to explore food options.

You could always see if some of the other people want to go. I still haven't tried many of the specialty ones on my 3 NCL cruises.

You could always see if some of the other people want to go. I still haven't tried many of the specialty ones on my 3 NCL cruises.

Make it a priority, Howard! But on another note, I saw the solo meeting is 6:45 in the Getaway studio lounge! That's a big change from 5:30 on the Epic!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I just got back from cruising on the NCL Getaway in a studio cabin. The meeting on the first evening with a member of the cruise staff had 18 people gathered there from around the ship. Every evening after that the gathering was in the studio lounge. There were 9 or 10 people on the second night (6:30 pm), four people on the next night and no one after that, as people had already made their own friends and dining arrangements. The staff member did organize a group dinner in the main dining room and 7 of us were there. It was wonderful. I also would not recommend the upgraded dining package. There are so many other dining venues which are great and should you choose to, you can try out one of the specialty restaurants either on your own or with a people you meet. That is what I did and loved it. Have fun.

In the past, I've written a message on the white board looking for others to dine in the specialities. We formed a group of six and it was great! Different restaurant every night! Going to try it again in April. As a solo, the price difference is not such a big deal!

In the past, I've written a message on the white board looking for others to dine in the specialities. We formed a group of six and it was great! Different restaurant every night! Going to try it again in April. As a solo, the price difference is not such a big deal!

That's a great idea.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm in a Breakaway studio the week after you, Mr. E...looking forward to it! I appreciate all the tips.

I was just reading your posts on your 4/27 roll call about cabin crawl. I was curious how it worked too, trying to fit people in a studio. But then again, I also know a lot of people are curious what they look like.

I figure if nothing else, people can hang out in the studio lounge and come take a peek two or three at a time! If I wasn't in a studio I would be curious about what they looked like.

Currently trying to decide whether I want to get a pass for Vibe (if I board in time) or the thermal spa or both?

I thought about vibe but found that Spice H20 on my sailing in September was never that crowded plus had the waterfalls.

Also, in case you are both interested, start checking the week or so before your sailing- you might be able to upgrade.

Note, that if you do, you can still get into the solo gatherings for the studio lounge in the evening, but your card won't get you in during the day.

However, I am not a fan of staying in the room by myself on such a great ship, so for now have a studio again in the fall.

• Thanks 1

Also, in case you are both interested, start checking the week or so before your sailing- you might be able to upgrade.

Note, that if you do, you can still get into the solo gatherings for the studio lounge in the evening, but your card won't get you in during the day.

I had a plan to do that. My roll call has planned a M&G and a slot pull and maybe a cabin crawl. So socializing seems to have a head start. Which was one of the reasons for a studio, for the lounge. But if I could get a balcony for $100 or less, I'll upgrade. I'm 30 days out and will start checking.

My studio for this coming fall was somehow around only $545 base price vs. $999 last year. I somehow doubt an upgrade will be a low for me ($106) as last year, but found that the studio on the Epic was more than sufficient as I didn't spend much time in it.

I think the studio lounge is great for the 5-6pm gathering, and perhaps for a few minutes for coffee in the morning. But I don't see the sense to really hanging out in it.

I did Bermuda last year, and this time I decided instead to do the Fla/Bahamas as it is over my birthday and I thought it would be nice spending more time at sea.

I looked at it this way- any time I spent on the balcony- (which wasn't much) could have been spent on the waterfront or Spice H20 as well.

I did Bermuda last year, and this time I decided instead to do the Fla/Bahamas as it is over my birthday and I thought it would be nice spending more time at sea.

How was your Bermuda trip? I was thinking of booking one in June. Maybe catch a last minute deal.

Bermuda is fabulous but usually a sell-out. My DH & I are headed back to Bermuda for the 3rd time. Bermuda is a much nicer and classier island than the Bahamas. I am taking my solo vacation to the Bahamas as it is much more reasonable for one person and I am not going for the itinerary, just going to get away.

Edited by shepherdqueen

I agree with shepherdqueen (Ironically, the name Howard is derived from the meaning sheep herder!).

Bermuda is much classier than the bahamas route, but there are some advantages to the bahamas route.

- I liked being in Bermuda and doing some night excursions, but am looking forward to being more at sea and being at sea the final 3 nights.

Although Horsehoe Bay was a nice beach, i am actually looking forward to being on GSC which tenders right near the boat.

Port Canveral has the Kennedy Space center- I am going to try Cocoa Beach.

my

I did a nice Nassau excursion- seaworld explorer while on the Epic a few years ago.

When I booked my cruise for the fall, I had a few choices as there were several $500 or so studios available for the fall.

It was between doing the Bermuda run again in mid-September, the Bahamas in October or Getaway in October.

I picked the Breakaway over the Getaway as it was more local, and I would be spending my birthday at sea vs the airport. (I also save around $600 by going from NYC- (bus instead of flying, one night in hotel vs 2, less transportation)

Also, October for me has more workdays 23 vs. 20 or 21 in September so it is easier to take 6 days off (I either take off Friday or the day after the boat returns)

I would probably go back to Bermuda the next time around.

Although I was excited by what was on the Getaway, nYC is just easier. Plus, the boats are somewhat simliar.

Ok, I know this is about to rattle some cruising feathers lol, but I might not take a summer cruise at all.

I've recently been looking at travel trailers and am thinking of purchasing one. That may put a hold on cruising money until winter or next year.

Ok, I know this is about to rattle some cruising feathers lol, but I might not take a summer cruise at all.

I've recently been looking at travel trailers and am thinking of purchasing one. That may put a hold on cruising money until winter or next year.

Its not a bad idea- because the June deals might not be as good with it being the summer months.

I had 2 holds up at great rates for both September and October- ultimately picked one because they were too closed together as well and I would be using half my vacation time in 5-6 weeks.

Sounds like a great plan, if that's what you want to do.

So many amazing travel options, that the only bad choice is to never go anywhere.

Sounds like a great plan, if that's what you want to do.

So many amazing travel options, that the only bad choice is to never go anywhere.

I still have my studio in three weeks. And I fully plan on getting in at least a cruise a year. But I think it would give me someone options for travel. Also, if I had one, maybe I could get my siblings to bring the kids camping.

Oh yeah, and tailgating football games if course!!!