What are the MUST things to buy in Grenada

I Love NC

What are some things you have purchased in Grenada, that are native to the area. Things I must consider buying!!!

Any chefs out there with suggestions for spices!

I did read that what they sell as Safron is really Tumeric and what they sell as Vanilla is a flavoring made from something that looks like a vanilla bean, but isn't (I cannot remember the name of it....sorry)

Thank you all in advance

What are some things you have purchased in Grenada, that are native to the area. Things I must consider buying!!! Any chefs out there with suggestions for spices! I did read that what they sell as Safron is really Tumeric and what they sell as Vanilla is a flavoring made from something that looks like a vanilla bean, but isn't

Not meaning to be too disrespectful to your serious question, the good news is that here in Grenada and Dominica, your potentials might be better than in the overly and too commercially-focused Dutch ABC Islands.

For some Caribbean islands, in my personal opinion, there are a limited number of "must buy" items.

I would suggest doing a tour in Grenada that give you more background for how these various spice items are produced, processed, etc. There will be opportunities to purchase at certain of these location. Plus, there are rum options that can be interesting.

Much depends about what you like, who you are buy for, etc. I am not a cooking expert, so it hard to get too specific about certain kitchen spice and their uses, etc. On this board, see some of my many pictures in visiting these locations on this island.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 29,117 views for these postings.

What are some things you have purchased in Grenada, that are native to the area. Things I must consider buying!!!

Any chefs out there with suggestions for spices!

I did read that what they sell as Safron is really Tumeric and what they sell as Vanilla is a flavoring made from something that looks like a vanilla bean, but isn't (I cannot remember the name of it....sorry)

Thank you all in advance

Spices - we have loads of vendors so make sure you get the freshest they have. The market is usually the best spot but you can also buy in the supermarket (hang a left as you come out of the cruise liner terminal and keep going for about 4 minutes. Last shop on your left before the bus terminal. It will b local prices in there :)

Spice necklaces - not actual necklaces more air fresheners that you can hang up. Made from all our spices and usually very pretty. They will go brown over time and if they lose their aroma simply dunk in boiling hot water and then air dry and it comes right back. Mine are 2 years old now and on their 3rd dunk :o oh and do not put them in a plastic bag as they will go mouldy - paper bag is perfect. (also we are trying to ban plastic bags on island so you would be elpiing the environment :p

Chocolate - world famous and comes in 6 (I think now) variations of cocoa strength. Low in fat content so doesn't melt as easily as the milk chocolates. Super yummy. Again can be bought in said supermarket.

We also have a local lady who does gorgeous glass jewellery (Italian lady studied abroad before finally coming to Grenada) - cant miss her as she has a small jewellery booth directly opposite where you come out from security - unique stuff

Batiq - we have another now-grenadian lady who works up batiq clothing. might be worth looking at?

We are planning on an island tour! Arriving on a Monday, so we should be able to see works in process.

What are the 'brand(s)' of chocolate? I want to get some!

Someone mentioned Almond Oil for aches / pains? Any thoughts?

If you think of anything else, pls. let me know!

Spice necklaces - not actual necklaces more air fresheners that you can hang up. Made from all our spices and usually very pretty. They will go brown over time and if they lose their aroma simply dunk in boiling hot water and then air dry and it comes right back. Mine are 2 years old now and on their 3rd dunk :o oh and do not put them in a plastic bag as they will go mouldy - paper bag is perfect.

The spice necklaces are favorites of mine and always a "must buy" when we are in Grenada! :)

LuLu

Can you confirm for me that the buses do not run on a Sunday?

I'm wondering what else won't be open on a Sunday?

I'd also love your opinion on local food... what are your feelings on The Nutmeg and Coconut Beach?

Thanks in advance for the info Island Star :)

Edited by BeachLoverr
additions

Can you confirm for me that the buses do not run on a Sunday?

I'm wondering what else won't be open on a Sunday?

I'd also love your opinion on local food... what are your feelings on The Nutmeg and Coconut Beach?

Thanks in advance for the info Island Star :)

hmm we don't tend to like working on the best of day so a sunday really is a non-no :p Sundays busses do not run but as you are a cruise ship there will be loads of taxis (land or water) to take you about.

Excursion work on Sundays (most of them) as do the Taxi Associations so you should easily be able to find island ours.

The Nutmeg is nice and affords great views over The Carenage but not much traffic int he water as it will be Sunday I guess. Water Taxi or land taxi to Coconuts Creole Beach Restaurant - usually open on Sundays but not sure of the time though.

We are planning on an island tour! Arriving on a Monday, so we should be able to see works in process.

What are the 'brand(s)' of chocolate? I want to get some!

Someone mentioned Almond Oil for aches / pains? Any thoughts?

If you think of anything else, pls. let me know!

Grenada Chocolate Company started up by Mott Green (RIP) - really made the vision of sustainable chocolate work here in Grenada

Nutmed oil or cream for aches and pains. Prefer the oil myself as seems to be stronger

One option that I had not mentioned earlier is that in the "terminal' next to where the cruise ships dock, there is a decent-sized shopping area with a fairly wide range of different potentials. As always, these places have a big range of "things". Some good or OK. Others only so-so. BUT, it is a potential to browse as you are headed back to the ship after your day on this scenic and interesting island.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 29,247 views for these postings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Buy chocolate. I really loved the dark chocolate bars with nutmeg. My mistake was not buying more. The cost is about double on Amazon. Also buy nutmeg syrup and jam/jelly. They are excellent and hard to come by at home.

Where do you buy the chocolate? Is there anyplace to tour to see how it is made?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just found this posting, and have some questions about Grenada, as this will be our first time to cruise there.

I don't know if Grenada is a small or large area. Would we be better off using a Taxi, or a tour guide to see the area? If you have used either of these, can you give me an idea of what the cost might be for either of them?

Is there a beach area to check out that is close by to walk, or do we take some type of transportation?

Are there "native" vendors that sell the products that they make, or quite a bit of the things they sell are made in China, or some place like that?

Do the vendors do any type of bargaining, etc.?

Anything special that we MUST see/do in Grenada?

We will be in Grenada in a few weeks (our first visit). We have booked a tour with JnJ Tours. It's an island tour & some beach time. Some folks from our roll call talked about taking a ferry to the beach Grand Anse.

Spices , spice necklaces, chocolate are made there.

When are you cruising to Grenada?

Edited by bettyboop16

Bettyboob16 I have being trying to get in contact with JnJ tours I have emailed him a number of times . I am interested in doing the tour too . We will be there the 21st of April .

Please let me know how your trip was . Thanks Lisa

Bettyboob16 I have being trying to get in contact with JnJ tours I have emailed him a number of times . I am interested in doing the tour too . We will be there the 21st of April .

Please let me know how your trip was . Thanks Lisa

I will let you know how it goes :). I have heard from others on CC about having a hard time contacting JNJ tours. I didn't, he replied to all of my emails.

I contact him on his website.

In the past I had problems with other tour operators on other islands not responding to emails.

We just returned from there Friday... did an 11 day cruise (not my favorite island) but best for spices...

Took a tour guide from an open air bus... stopped at a few places and one was the spice store itself.

Got the best spices... omg.. everything from whole nutmeg (great in banana bread) cinnamon which when I making sweet potatoes I boil one stick in the water with it and makes my house smell so nice.

Picked up real vanilla but make sure there is no coumandin it... a blood thinner

along with banana, lemon, almond and so many other extracts. And of course chocolate....

Got fresh spices in baskets that were 6 mini baskets loaded with spices and all for $20.00 get gifts for people at home...

Also went to a rum spot... loads of yummy rums too.

The island reminds me of San Fran. with the hills and all...

We were there during Saturday Farmer's Market but still found the prices cheaper inland

Edited by rjrice1

We just returned from there Friday... did an 11 day cruise (not my favorite island) but best for spices...

Took a tour guide from an open air bus... stopped at a few places and one was the spice store itself.

Got the best spices... omg.. everything from whole nutmeg (great in banana bread) cinnamon which when I making sweet potatoes I boil one stick in the water with it and makes my house smell so nice.

Picked up real vanilla but make sure there is no coumandin it... a blood thinner

along with banana, lemon, almond and so many other extracts. And of course chocolate....

Got fresh spices in baskets that were 6 mini baskets loaded with spices and all for $20.00 get gifts for people at home...

We were there during Saturday Farmer's Market but still found the prices cheaper inland

Where did you shop for spices in Grenada? Mini baskets....great gift idea!

Edited by bettyboop16

Now remembering, we walked out of the port area... and met local license taxi drivers (local police told me they were safe too) Much cheaper than by the pier too and felt very safe at all times.

He took us for $20.00 p/p for tour of the local areas... even a beach.

We stopped at this little local area where they explained on how to use them and all..

Was cute too. Then to a local distill too.

Send me your email and I will email you pictures of them...

Cathy

Where did you shop for spices in Grenada? Mini baskets....great gift idea!

Is it not worth it to go to the market place for spices? Did you go to St. Maarten? IF so, Were the spices cheaper there?-- In Marigot open market from the spice guy?

We took a tour around the island... there were five of us and he took four more with us...

3 hour tour of the island plus 1 hour at the beach.

Again we did go outside the port and got one... after I spoke to the to two local police to make sure they were legit and okay to be with...

The prices were much cheaper then the markets. We did get the necklace for 3/5 as the market wanted 5 for one...

The little baskets at the market was 10. for one and I paid 20 for 6 and 20 for this huge one. Along with 5 different pint side pure extracts for 20.

The baskets were very nice with Grenada weaved in it...

The necklace has a very nice scent.. the lady told us you can bring the scent back if you boil it water for 10-15 minutes let it dry .. and the scent is back.

I put one in the "mud room" can smell cruise every time I come in the house.

RJRice1, you said the Taxi driver charged $20.00pp in Grenada? Can you tell me how long was the tour? You also mentioned the beach. Did he drive by the beach or drop you off or what?
Edited by rjrice1

No were did a southern cruise 11 days.. but have been to St. Maarten many times....

Grenada was the cheapest place I ever saw for spices... including pure chocolate. (got that too. Will be baking a cake this week...lol)

Cathy

QUOTE=campperson;48814250]Is it not worth it to go to the market place for spices? Did you go to St. Maarten? IF so, Were the spices cheaper there?-- In Marigot open market from the spice guy?

Now remembering, we walked out of the port area... and met local license taxi drivers (local police told me they were safe too) Much cheaper than by the pier too and felt very safe at all times.

He took us for $20.00 p/p for tour of the local areas... even a beach.

We stopped at this little local area where they explained on how to use them and all..

Was cute too. Then to a local distill too.

Send me your email and I will email you pictures of them...

Cathy

bedsole2011@gmail dot com

Love to see your pics:)

Thanks