Elevator Noise?

Bristol5

Looking into booking an interior cabin on the Koningsdam which would back up to a mid-ship elevator. The cabin door is not on the same side as the elevator. Do elevators produce noise?

Some of the cabins considering are: 4115, 4105, 5108, 5125, 6112, 6127, 7104 or 7097.

Anyone with experience with this type of cabin, I will appreciate your insight.

The elevator locations IMO are among the more desired locations due to the convenience of getting to all other decks on the ship. The elevator lobbies are away from the staterooms and separated by a hallway. The elevator operation is very quiet and the staterooms are also well insulated. Noise will not be an issue in locations near the elevators and stair wells.

Cruised to Fuji with my 80 year old mother in 2015. We had balcony room the door opened to elevator foyer, the noise from the kids running down the stairs and back up elevator was loud, had to go out one night and tell them to be quite.

That was with P&O to many kids on this cruise I think it was kids sail free (as it was not school holidays.)

The elevators are nowhere near the cabins....they are in a foyer, totally apart from the cabins. You should have NO noise! Very convenient location!

Generally this is the case. However, the OP is asking about cabins that share a wall with the side of the elevator shaft. I would hope that there is adequate sound insulating material in the wall and the deck plan does make it look like the wall is double thick, so it is probably okay; but I would ask the question again on the HAL forum.

If it's anything similar to the Zuiderdamn set-up, I'd proceed with caution. We were in the first cabin off the elevator block and were woken up very early every morning by the ding-dong sound of the elevator. We asked at Guest Services if it was possible to turn it off between certain hours, but no luck.

If it's anything similar to the Zuiderdamn set-up, I'd proceed with caution. We were in the first cabin off the elevator block and were woken up very early every morning by the ding-dong sound of the elevator. We asked at Guest Services if it was possible to turn it off between certain hours, but no luck.

That is disappointing but IMO would indicate a very poor design relative to sound insulation. You would think that the designers would avoid common walls between staterooms and elevators or design some sort of sound barrier between them to prevent that issue.