VAT reclaim/refund at Ocean Terminal- Southampton

dfwguy

Does anyone know if there is a desk or office at Ocean Terminal- Southampton,

that can process a VAT refund/reclaim? I am buying a case (6) of wine at Marks

& Spencer to take on the crossing . M&S is able to provide a VAT form 407,

but I still need a place to submit the completed form for final processing.

Thank you for any help or guidance.

There is a little metal box on the wall after you've passed through the security x-ray machines but before you board the ship. It's small and not labeled so very hard to find. You have to ask the staff where it is. The drill is supposed to be that one puts in the box an envelope containing the documents, i.e. stamped receipt from the store and the form for your VAT refund. And then supposedly the box will be emptied and your request will be processed. I went though this in December returning to New York after a long land-based trip in Europe and submitted my docs for a major purchase in Malta. Unfortunately, here it is late April and I have received no refund. I am not hopeful.

You are welcome. Remember to ask the guys who work the security x-ray machines for the box for the VAT refunds. I doubt if you will find it on your own as it is painted the same color as the wall and it has no label, as far as I remember. Good luck!

I had asked a similar question last year, and the answer is "No, there is no UK Customs desk at Southampton Cruise Terminal that can check and stamp the VAT Refund form that needs to be returned to the retailer for processing the VAT amount back to you or to your credit card used to make the purchase." Mailing the Refund form back to the retailer without the Customs stamp is not sufficient to get the VAT amount refunded.

The UK Customs desk can be found at Heathrow Airport (forget which terminal(s)), and I do not know if available at other UK airports.

No problem, just drop the completed form in the "hard to find" box -- just be sure there is postage on the letter and you should get your refund without an issue. It does take several months to get the refund, though.